Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 2, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
LouiTheFish
macrumors newbie

Aperture Library freezes finder when moving to external drive

Hey, thanks in advance for any help. I've been trying unsuccessfully for the past 24 hours to move my Aperture 3 library to an external drive. There's approx. 91 projects and 15k+ photos, 75% or more of which are RAW masters.

Some notes:
2008 15" MBP
2.4 GhZ Core 2 Duo
8 GB RAM
500 GB 7200RPM hard drive

My Aperture library is MANAGED which, to my knowledge, means this is a simple drag and drop operation. However, every time I drag the Aperture library to my external (LaCie Rugged 1TB FW800) the whole system freezes just after halfway through. I can open the portion of the library that transferred once I reboot but nothing seems to be there, photo-wise, past a certain point (as in only a portion of the photos transfer but the data stating that the photos existed still moves).

Any guidance would be appreciated, getting a little frustrated with this process.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:01 PM   #2
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Do you have another destination where you can test "copying" the library? It might be a failed HDD destination.

It is also possible that your source is failed. In which case... you would need to restore from backup.

In any case... with a managed A3 library... you should be able to drag and drop.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
LouiTheFish
macrumors newbie

Hadn't thought of that. I'll test it on a G-Tech I have as a backup. My thoughts were that it may be some corrupted files within the library preventing the move. Figured if the G-Tech doesn't work I'd try cutting the Library up into smaller Libraries (which should probably be done anyway since I rarely use some of my file structure) and transfer the entire parcel in smaller portions. Any reason not to do this other than the end result being a little messy?
Old May 4, 2013, 02:25 AM   #4
flynz4
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouiTheFish View Post
Hadn't thought of that. I'll test it on a G-Tech I have as a backup. My thoughts were that it may be some corrupted files within the library preventing the move. Figured if the G-Tech doesn't work I'd try cutting the Library up into smaller Libraries (which should probably be done anyway since I rarely use some of my file structure) and transfer the entire parcel in smaller portions. Any reason not to do this other than the end result being a little messy?
No problem. From memory... you would "export projects as a new library"... and then the new "smaller libraries" would only contain the projects that you created.

/Jim
flynz4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Tags
aperture, external drive