Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 2, 2013, 12:39 PM   #1
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Duke University raising student fees to pay for sex changes

My brain is still having a hard time wrapping itself around this story, so I figured I would offer it up here for discussion.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...x-reassignment
ugahairydawgs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 12:41 PM   #2
kapolani
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
My brain is still having a hard time wrapping itself around this story, so I figured I would offer it up here for discussion.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article...x-reassignment
You're not the only one.

I'm all for being progressive etc. but some of this crap is getting out of hand.
kapolani is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 12:43 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

not sure how they can justify increasing fees for ALL students when practically ZERO will EVER consider it.

If I was a Duke student, I would be upset. Why would I pay premiums so a VERY small amount of others can get this ELECTIVE surgery done
dukebound85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:50 PM   #4
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
not sure how they can justify increasing fees for ALL students when practically ZERO will EVER consider it.

If I was a Duke student, I would be upset. Why would I pay premiums so a VERY small amount of others can get this ELECTIVE surgery done
Increase the premiums by 0.3%.

You would pay your premiums so that you can get coverage that applies to you. Considering your aversion to changing your gender that means 99.7% of the premium's costs apply to you.

Of course, that's a strange way to think about it because everyone pays for access to countless services they don't use. You'd also be paying for access to heart surgery should you need it, or allergy medication if you're allergic, and so on.
miloblithe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:56 PM   #5
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

Last edited by AhmedFaisal; Nov 16, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
  2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 01:56 PM   #6
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by miloblithe View Post
Increase the premiums by 0.3%.

You would pay your premiums so that you can get coverage that applies to you. Considering your aversion to changing your gender that means 99.7% of the premium's costs apply to you.

Of course, that's a strange way to think about it because everyone pays for access to countless services they don't use. You'd also be paying for access to heart surgery should you need it, or allergy medication if you're allergic, and so on.
True but I would argue a sex change is not critical health care, whereas surgery to say reconstruct your leg is. Just my opinion
dukebound85 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:06 PM   #7
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
True but I would argue a sex change is not critical health care, whereas surgery to say reconstruct your leg is. Just my opinion
You wouldn't be able to argue that everything that is covered under the plan is for "critical health care" - and you also wouldn't be able to argue that everything that is covered applies to every person that is covered. If you are employed and have coverage, you're certainly paying for coverage you're never going to use. This is no different - except that the word "sex change" tends to be a conversation starter.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:08 PM   #8
renewed
macrumors 68040

From a liberal/world view standpoint it makes sense.

I'm sure they assume sex gender change could possibly reduce mental anxiety and suicide which is justification for preventative/critical healthcare.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:08 PM   #9
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
You wouldn't be able to argue that everything that is covered under the plan is for "critical health care" - and you also wouldn't be able to argue that everything that is covered applies to every person that is covered. If you are employed and have coverage, you're certainly paying for coverage you're never going to use. This is no different - except that the word "sex change" tends to be a conversation starter.
I view "sex change" in the same class of elective surgery as lasik, plastic surgery, etc, which is not covered by practically all health plans
dukebound85 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:17 PM   #10
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by renewed View Post
I'm sure they assume sex gender change could possibly reduce mental anxiety and suicide which is justification for preventative/critical healthcare.
If you give someone enough time they could come up with similar justification for just about any sort of procedure.
ugahairydawgs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:26 PM   #11
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I view "sex change" in the same class of elective surgery as lasik, plastic surgery, etc, which is not covered by practically all health plans
Get a list of everything covered under this coverage and I'm sure we will find many things which everyone covered will never need. There are plenty of "elective" medications and procedures which are covered. Our plan covers chiropractic visits - certainly not a medical necessity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renewed View Post
From a liberal/world view standpoint it makes sense.

I guess we'll just pretend that the DSM and all of the scientific research wasn't actually "researched" - people just assumed?

It absolutely reduces mental anxiety and the risk of suicide. Facts are facts. Just because you don't want to believe it, doesn't make it any less true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
If you give someone enough time they could come up with similar justification for just about any sort of procedure.
Agreed. So lets' find a list of everything covered under this plan and criticize everything that not EVERYBODY needs. This won't be the only one. Although, I would bet that many non-critical things are used and abused (addarall, anyone?) by those who don't really need it.
Moyank24 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:30 PM   #12
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Ok so why isn't plastic surgery or lasic covered? The reason is that they are cosmetic surgery....which is my opinion of a sex change

Chiropractic, allergies, etc, even if only used by a handful are not cosmetic. They treat medical conditions.

See the difference? It is not about having things covered that not many use, but also that procedure itself has nothing to do medically with the individual
dukebound85 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:31 PM   #13
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Agreed. So lets' find a list of everything covered under this plan and criticize everything that not EVERYBODY needs. This won't be the only one. Although, I would bet that many non-critical things are used and abused (addarall, anyone?) by those who don't really need it.
Its why I'm such a fan of HSAs. With everything being an out of pocket expense (on pre-tax dollars...of course) up to a certain point it forces people to be more mindful of their health care choices.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:35 PM   #14
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:37 PM   #15
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Ok so why isn't plastic surgery or lasic covered? The reason is that they are cosmetic surgery....which is my opinion of a sex change

Chiropractic, allergies, etc, even if only used by a handful are not cosmetic. They treat medical conditions.

See the difference? It is not about having things covered that not many use, but also that procedure itself has nothing to do medically with the individual
Your opinion?

The DSM and years of scientific research would disagree with you. So, forgive me, if your opinion doesn't mean much.
Moyank24 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:40 PM   #16
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedFaisal View Post
And wonder why the US has the lowest life expectancy in the western world, trending downward......
Yeah....the McDonalds on every corner and crime rates in inner cities wouldn't have anything to do with that.
ugahairydawgs is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:41 PM   #17
TedM
macrumors 6502

I thought the topic title was misleading. They are paying for the student insurance and its a .3 percent increase to student costs to cover all transgender health needs. Maybe it would be nice to opt out of such a coverage, but the cost seems minimal.
Old May 2, 2013, 02:42 PM   #18
AhmedFaisal

<snip>

1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:45 PM   #19
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
Your opinion?

The DSM and years of scientific research would disagree with you. So, forgive me, if your opinion doesn't mean much.
In that case then neither does yours as the amt of insurance programs do not include it vastly outnumber the ones that do. I am sure they have their research to support why that may be the case.
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 02:53 PM   #20
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
In that case then neither does yours as the amt of insurance programs do not include it vastly outnumber the ones that do. I am sure they have their research to support why that may be the case.
And there are more programs that cover it in 2013 than did in 2012 and 2011, wouldn't you say?

Probably because the growing amount of reasearch that has been done in the last decade.

The coverage at Duke also provides for things like obesity treatment, infertility, and drug abuse programs. Those things don't get the blood boiling quite like SEX CHANGE, though. Right? I've said this more than once in here - why are we ok with paying for people's unhealthy lifestyles, but have such a problem with things like sex changes? It's time this country gets rid of the ghosts of the Puritans.
Moyank24 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:00 PM   #21
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
And there are more programs that cover it in 2013 than did in 2012 and 2011, wouldn't you say?

Probably because the growing amount of reasearch that has been done in the last decade.

The coverage at Duke also provides for things like obesity treatment, infertility, and drug abuse programs. Those things don't get the blood boiling quite like SEX CHANGE, though. Right? I've said this more than once in here - why are we ok with paying for people's unhealthy lifestyles, but have such a problem with things like sex changes? It's time this country gets rid of the ghosts of the Puritans.
FWIW, I would have the same thoughts if my insurance premiums included cosmetic procedures like plastic surgery/lasik

Why you are trying to make it all about SEX CHANGE being the voodoo procedure is eluding me
Old May 2, 2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Just a small point, unrelated to the issue of the health care premium hike.

Transgender issues are extremely complex, and I would suggest that comments specifically about transgender issues, and transgender surgery per se, are not appropriate unless the poster is well informed in the area. An in depth knowledge of the clinical research is really a pre-requisite for such comments. Absent that, comments on these specific issues are pointless and ill informed.

Argue at length about the cost increase, health care in general, or whatever...but comments about what is involved in being a transgender person, and the very complex issues surrounding transgender surgery require more than "it's my opinion" responses.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:06 PM   #23
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
FWIW, I would have the same thoughts if my insurance premiums included cosmetic procedures like plastic surgery/lasik

Why you are trying to make it all about SEX CHANGE being the voodoo procedure is eluding me
If they added lasik to the insurance coverage at Duke, would we be talking about it? Would there be numerous articles written about it? Would someone have posted a thread here?
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:13 PM   #24
dukebound85
macrumors P6

Quote:
If they added lasik to the insurance coverage at Duke, would we be talking about it? Would there be numerous articles written about it? Would someone have posted a thread here?
Probably not, I'll give you that
Old May 2, 2013, 03:22 PM   #25
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that Duke is a private university?

And if the students don't like the coverage/costs, they can take their education elsewhere.

Isn't that the conservative/libertarian standard?

Duke is transgender "friendly". Time to move on.
noisycats is offline   8 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues