Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 2, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Employee Claims Google Now App Does Not Cause Significant Battery Impact

After Google Now was added to the Google Search app last week, many users began complaining that the app was draining battery by constantly accessing the iPhone's Location Services.

According to a Google employee who posted on the Macworld forum (via The Next Web), Google Now does not excessively drain battery, despite the fact that the app often causes the Location Services icon to remain active.
Quote:
Hi there,
I'm with Google and wanted to address this issue:
Reports that Google Now on iOS drains battery life are incorrect. We understand people's concern about seeing the Location Services icon stay on when they use Google Now. Many apps that keep the icon on actually do drain the phone's battery because they require very accurate location. (For example, some apps have to run your GPS all the time during navigation to keep you from missing your turn.) This update to the Google Search app is built very differently: it uses cell towers and wifi hot spots for much lower battery impact.
The employee, who was confirmed to be working for Google by The Next Web, goes on to say that Google Now was tested for several months on iOS without reports of significant battery impact. In the Google Search app description, Google clarifies that the app does not access the iPhone's GPS, using cell towers and Wi-Fi hotspots as the employee claims.

Google Now, which is Google's version of a virtual assistant, continually accesses user data to provide information like local weather updates and traffic conditions, which is what may be causing issues for some users.

Not all Google Now users appear to be experiencing battery problems, with some MacRumors forum members reporting no excessive battery drainage while others report rapid battery loss.

Article Link: Google Employee Claims Google Now App Does Not Cause Significant Battery Impact
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:18 PM   #2
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
I just hate the location icon constantly being in the status bar, that is the reason I turned it off.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
Appurushido
macrumors newbie

I would have thought the same. Since the app is running 24/7 who knows how much battery life it drains.
Appurushido is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:21 PM   #4
jona2d
macrumors member

Ive had the app for a week, and haven't had any battery issues.
jona2d is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:21 PM   #5
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
How about the "many users" quit complaining and stop using the app? Instant fix.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:22 PM   #6
JayCee842
macrumors 6502a

My battery has still lasted me all day. That's weird.
JayCee842 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:23 PM   #7
flowsy
macrumors member

No issues here on iPhone 5 and iPad mini.
flowsy is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:24 PM   #8
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
How about the "many users" quit complaining and stop using the app? Instant fix.
That fixes nothing.
Old May 2, 2013, 03:25 PM   #9
kirky29
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Yahoo to kirky29 Send a message via Skype™ to kirky29
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post
I just hate the location icon constantly being in the status bar, that is the reason I turned it off.
Exactly the same, it's now disabled on mine. Shame though.
kirky29 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:26 PM   #10
dmcwally
macrumors member

Grokr is a very similar app and had the same exact problem at launch but fixed it very quickly with a software update and now works perfectly. Google should have no excuse to fix this
dmcwally is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:27 PM   #11
WDRAM
macrumors newbie

"I notice significant battery loss. But Safari feels much snappier!"

- I'm guessing this is the layperson reaction. It's all a matter of perception.
WDRAM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:28 PM   #12
cashxx
macrumors member

Funny but I believe it does

Have a co-worker that downloaded it when it came out and later in the day was complaining about his battery life.
cashxx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:28 PM   #13
bandalay
macrumors member

My battery life…

…is actually longer.

And it's growing new hair on my head!
bandalay is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:29 PM   #14
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

I haven't noticed my battery life changing at all. I think people that claim it's draining their battery have something else going on.
barkomatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:29 PM   #15
Small White Car
macrumors G3

I believe what Google says. Mainly because the complaints I saw popped up mere minutes after the app launched.

Those aren't battery complaints. Those are "I see an arrow" complaints. Real battery assessment takes days.

I've had many other apps that use geofencing (like Apple's own Reminders) without seeing a huge impact on battery. I'm sure this Google Now service works the same way.
Small White Car is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:30 PM   #16
rockosmodurnlif
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to rockosmodurnlif Send a message via Yahoo to rockosmodurnlif
Turned on Google Now. Left home, listening to tunes. Went from full charge to half charge in 3 hours. Turned off Google Now. Still playing tunes. Went from half charge to quarter charge in 5 hours. I don't know what Google calls "significant battery impact" but I know what I call "significant battery impact".
rockosmodurnlif is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:30 PM   #17
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Battery life seems the same on my iPhone 4. I don't understand the fuss.

Edit:

I've only just put my iPhone back on charge for the nightly refuel whilst I sleep.

Last edited by ChazUK; May 2, 2013 at 03:38 PM.
ChazUK is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:31 PM   #18
declandio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcwally View Post
Google should have no excuse to fix this
Fix what? Have been trying this out for a few days with no noticeable impact on my battery.
declandio is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:33 PM   #19
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

I wasn't aware this was a problem until I saw this article.
I did noticed last night the Location Services icon showing on the top bar in my iPad. When I checked to see what was accessing it, it was the Google app, which was not even open or running. It's probably a background process it has.

Continued access to Location Services could definitely cause battery drainage. So as a quick fix I disabled Location Services for Google.

Take note I haven't seen this behavior until I upgraded to the latest Google app.

Does anyone else noticed something like this?

UPDATE:
- I just enabled Location Services for the Google app, and immediately the Location Services showed on the top bar (Google app is not open)
- I restarted my iPad and Location Services didn't show anymore.
- I ran the Google app, and the Location Services icon appeared again, and remained showing even after I closed the Google app. It's been about 5 minutes and it's still showing. The only two options is to restart the iPad or turn off Location Services for the Google app.

All I can say is that it's definitely a bug in the Google app. It must leave a process running in the background, causing this problem.

Last edited by Amazing Iceman; May 2, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Amazing Iceman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:34 PM   #20
Tucker1988
macrumors newbie

I had significant battery drain from this app, normally lasts through the day and ends around 30%, but after google Now it dies around 4pm. I went into settings in the app itself (not iOS Location Settings) and turned off location reporting and it still seems to work well enough but without the drain so far.
Tucker1988 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:40 PM   #21
blucurv
macrumors member

Not True!

My battery was being drained because Google left the locations feature on.

The crazy thing is that it kept locations running even though I would completely close the app down. I even tried restarting the phone with no avail.

At first, I couldn't figure out why the locations feature was on until it hit me. I had updated the Google app. Once I removed the app all was well again.
blucurv is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:43 PM   #22
ChazUK
macrumors 603

Has anyone got screenshots of their excessive battery usage in the settings menu at all?

Would be interested to know which phone they're using in case it's related to a specific model/version.

Very odd!
Old May 2, 2013, 03:45 PM   #23
C DM
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
I wasn't aware this was a problem until I saw this article.
I did noticed last night the Location Services icon showing on the top bar in my iPad. When I checked to see what was accessing it, it was the Google app, which was not even open or running. It's probably a background process it has.

Continued access to Location Services could definitely cause battery drainage. So as a quick fix I disabled Location Services for Google.

Take note I haven't seen this behavior until I upgraded to the latest Google app.

Does anyone else noticed something like this?
Or you could simply go into the options within the Google app settings and disable the background location setting there (so the app can still use location when needed, but won't do it "continuously" in the background).
C DM is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2013, 03:49 PM   #24
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Or you could simply go into the options within the Google app settings and disable the background location setting there (so the app can still use location when needed, but won't do it "continuously" in the background).
Good observation. I didn't check, because I didn't think they would be so stupid to continuously access it. That would definitely drain a battery!

Edit: it's called Location Reporting and it's inside Privacy. That took care of the problem. Thanks!
Old May 2, 2013, 03:50 PM   #25
baller1308
macrumors 6502a

I haven't noticed much decrease in battery life. By the time I hit the bed my phone is sitting at 40%. I have room to spare in terms of battery life.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion