Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
At my school they dug up an old G3 AIO which "does not power on" (I'll test it in more depth tomorrow). My theory is the presumably dead PRAM battery may be preventing it from starting up, like in the G3 PowerBooks. Is this possible?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
At my school they dug up an old G3 AIO which "does not power on" (I'll test it in more depth tomorrow). My theory is the presumably dead PRAM battery may be preventing it from starting up, like in the G3 PowerBooks. Is this possible?

No, not necessarily. It can be the SMC, the Power Supply, or even the Logic Board. First try resetting the SMC (unplug the power cord, hold the power button for 5 seconds, re-insert the power cord) and if it doesn't work, try changing the PRAM battery.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
No, not necessarily. It can be the SMC, the Power Supply, or even the Logic Board. First try resetting the SMC (unplug the power cord, hold the power button for 5 seconds, re-insert the power cord) and if it doesn't work, try changing the PRAM battery.

SMC wasn't released until 2006.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.