Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 3, 2013, 10:45 AM   #1
apollo1444
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: mexico
Google went flat and it doesn't look like crap

enough with the anti flat crap, have you downloaded google now, gmail or google maps? everyone is taking that route, but if apple makes it sure will suck eh? you can never please people!
apollo1444 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 10:49 AM   #2
ra4oasis
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
My thoughts exactly. Google Maps looks beautiful I think. Very simple, unobtrusive. I trust Jony Ive. The guy is freakin' Knighted because of his design sense. I think he'll do fine.
ra4oasis is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
People set unrealistic expectations for Apple. But hey, it's a company made by humans, like anyone of us, too.
Simplicated is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
People are freaking out about the flatness, that is all. All these wannabe designers are to blame really, too many people take the mockups seriously.

Please don't.

Look at the App Store itself, and you'll get an idea of the flatness (a majority of icons already have it, it has been a look that has been in the works since iOS4). iOS and OS X has changed gradually every version. They aren't going to overhaul it so it looks unrecognizable overnight. That's bad design right there, and we all know the consequences Microsoft is facing due to them doing that.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S
Jessica Lares is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:22 AM   #5
mumph
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Actually Jessica Windows 8 'looks' great, it just works 'crap' hehe.
mumph is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:32 AM   #6
Digital Dude
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arizona where freedom still means something
Been using the Mac since 1984 alongside Microsoft. I'm currently running Windows 7 on a separate drive in my Mac Pro and frankly the way things are displayed on the PC side are much more pleasing than the Mac interface. Apple still hasn't figured out how to scale objects on displays to be visually pleasing at the standard distance of 18~24 inches.

Regarding the flat interface, I actually liked my old Windows phone and I think the new Nokia-920 looks fantastic! Unfortunately, Microsoft doesn't have the infrastructure that Apple with iTunes has so I find most of its services utterly useless.
Digital Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:35 AM   #7
Radiating
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
enough with the anti flat crap, have you downloaded google now, gmail or google maps? everyone is taking that route, but if apple makes it sure will suck eh? you can never please people!
The reason people think flat will look bad is because of the play school atrocity that is windows 8. Everyone knows why it's ugly, because it's flat.

The best kind of design is the kind you don't notice, which is why nobody thinks of Google.

I thought it would look terrible too, before I looked past the obvious.
Radiating is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:36 AM   #8
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumph View Post
Actually Jessica Windows 8 'looks' great, it just works 'crap' hehe.
Yea I agree here msft is on the right path with their designs.
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 11:36 AM   #9
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
enough with the anti flat crap, have you downloaded google now, gmail or google maps? everyone is taking that route, but if apple makes it sure will suck eh? you can never please people!
Agreed. I downloaded the updated Google Search to test out all the battery claims and it is very flat.

I think some of the issue is that iOS has never been flat and that seems like it would be jarring after we've gotten use to the fancy. Google started off with a flat and simple design way back in the day so it's just returning to its roots.

Then again we don't know that iOS is going flat or even flatter. It's all just rumors based on Jony Ive being involved and several quotes and misquotes about how he hates skeuomorphism. It's possible that all we will see is the removal of fluff like the paper tear or the moving shadows which serve no valid function and are just to look nifty
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Digital Dude
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arizona where freedom still means something
Either way, Apple really does need to give the iPhone an overhaul. Even the iPhone-5 is becoming somewhat dated compared to the competition. Sure, the iPhone infrastructure is much more functional than any other device out there but it needs a bit more screen real estate and a cleaner interface, flat or otherwise.

The Nokia 920 screen with the W8 interface is the most intuitive of anything I've seen, and it would be nice if Apple could come up with her own concept geared in that direction. Heck, now that 'Google Now' is on the iPhone, I see that as a good go-between until Apple wakes up!

Last edited by Digital Dude; May 3, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
Digital Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:20 PM   #11
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Since when does flat = windows 8? Flat design has been around a lot longer than windows 8 (or ICS/Jellybean).
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:28 PM   #12
Digital Dude
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Arizona where freedom still means something
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Since when does flat = windows 8? Flat design has been around a lot longer than windows 8 (or ICS/Jellybean).
In practical terms and in context to this thread, I would say since the Windows 7 Phone. Microsoft has the resources to make the W8 phone a formidable device, but they simply don't have the talent to manage a phone-booth with a handful of quarters.

Last edited by Digital Dude; May 3, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
Digital Dude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:58 PM   #13
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Dude View Post
In practical terms and in context to this thread, I would say since the Windows 7 Phone. Microsoft has the resources to make the W8 phone a formidable device, but they simply don't have the talent to manage a phone-booth with a handful of quarters.
But really it's not about flat vs. non flat. It's about ugly vs. not ugly. The updated podcast app, the passbook app aren't really flat per say, but I think most would agree they're not ugly and certainly better than how they started out.
__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 04:55 PM   #14
MasterTick
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumph View Post
Actually Jessica Windows 8 'looks' great, it just works 'crap' hehe.
I assume you haven't actually used Windows 8. Because it doesn't work like "crap"
MasterTick is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 08:06 PM   #15
.Asa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
Oops, I think there was a typo in the title. It's supposed to say google went flat and it looks like crap.
I really hate the look of google's apps.
__________________
.Asa is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 08:14 PM   #16
whocaresit
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
enough with the anti flat crap, have you downloaded google now, gmail or google maps? everyone is taking that route, but if apple makes it sure will suck eh? you can never please people!
I've tried using Google Maps today.. the cartoonish-flat style is really terrible looking compared to Apple Maps.
__________________
"We will reevaluate our plans after September 30th. We may have better ideas then" Steve Jobs
Guess what!
whocaresit is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:36 AM   #17
mumph
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTick View Post
I assume you haven't actually used Windows 8. Because it doesn't work like "crap"
You assume wrong. Also a mate of mine who was a staunch Apple hater was so put off by Windows 8 he's gone and bought an iMac. I NEVER expected that from him. Also...

Last edited by mumph; May 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
mumph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:54 AM   #18
apollo1444
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocaresit View Post
I've tried using Google Maps today.. the cartoonish-flat style is really terrible looking compared to Apple Maps.
apple maps looks horrible, the navigation system looks alright
apollo1444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:45 PM   #19
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000
 
WhackyNinja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kissimmee, FL
Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo1444 View Post
enough with the anti flat crap, have you downloaded google now, gmail or google maps? everyone is taking that route, but if apple makes it sure will suck eh? you can never please people!
You can thank Larry Page the new CEO of Google for that. After Schdmit left Page wanted to redesign all the Google services with a flat design. Before Android 4, Android use to look like crap but now its a beautiful design that I have grown to love.
__________________
13'' MacBook Pro (Late 2011); OS X Mavericks 10.9.4; OS X Yosemite Beta 1; Windows 8.1
Google Nexus 5 32GB; Android 4.4.4

"Am I a good man?" -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 03:54 PM   #20
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ra4oasis View Post
Google Maps looks beautiful I think.
I disagree. While Google's app designs are functional and efficient, they lack the elegance, beauty, attention to detail and "taste" that Apple's possess.

If Apple were to start copying Google's boring designs it would be a very sad day - there wouldn't be much left to differentiate iOS and Android.
Reason077 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:31 AM   #21
bozzykid
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Some people just don't realize 'flat design' has nothing to do with how well an app is designed. You can use all the flat icons and textures you want, but if the UI sucks it will not matter.
bozzykid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 02:30 AM   #22
helloimadam
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: DFW
If a flatter design would involve fewer rounded corners, then I'm for it. Never been a fan of that.
helloimadam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:53 AM   #23
JaySoul
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
I much preferred the old iOS Google Maps design over the new app one.

And for driving, I much prefer Apple Maps. The simplicity is foolproof.

It's all a bit mixed up.
JaySoul is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 05:34 PM   #24
Alx9876
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: CA
Everyone is going flat tiles because there isn't anything left do to with a UI.

It's all been done so now the talentless hacks at Google and Microsoft are using flash cards on a 1st graders desk then calling it a flat look UI.
Alx9876 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:26 PM   #25
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alx9876 View Post
Everyone is going flat tiles because there isn't anything left do to with a UI.

It's all been done so now the talentless hacks at Google and Microsoft are using flash cards on a 1st graders desk then calling it a flat look UI.
Because this looks so much better? If anything looks like its been designed for kids it's iOS









__________________
"I have a very optimistic view of individuals. As individuals, people are inherently good. I have a somewhat more pessimistic view of people in groups." -- Steve Jobs , Wired interview
Rogifan is offline   5 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No flat iOS 7 icons for the Google apps? Oz. iOS 7 71 Mar 11, 2014 02:20 PM
Google Now is draining the crap out of my iPhone 5 saintforlife iPhone and iPod touch Apps 27 May 1, 2013 01:44 PM
CONFIRMED - iPod touch 5th gen doesn't lay flat on table :/ GoodBoy iPod touch 53 Oct 11, 2012 01:37 PM
Google acquired sparrow - really crap! iMcLovin Mac Applications and Mac App Store 1 Jul 23, 2012 03:59 PM
Holy crap! Google bought Sparrow email! 0m3ga iPhone 2 Jul 20, 2012 02:57 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC