Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 3, 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Google Glass Will Soon Add Text and Navigation Support for iPhone Users

Google Glass will soon gain stronger interoperability with iPhones, allowing iPhone-owning Glass wearers to access text messages and navigation on the device. Currently, only Android phone users can access navigation and texts on Glass via a special companion app.

Google Glass pulls data from the iPhone's cellular connection via Bluetooth tethering, but until now a number of Glass functions were limited.
Quote:
While Glass will happily work with any iPhone over Bluetooth or use any Wi-Fi connection to get online, iPhone users are currently unable to get turn-by-turn directions through Glass - one of its killer features. Those direction are pretty useful while you are navigating a new city and they do show off the power of location-based apps on Glass, but the software will currently balk if you ask it to give you directions while it's connected to an iPhone.
The $1,500 Google Glass is currently limited to a select few users but is expected to ship next year at a significantly reduced price.

Article Link: Google Glass Will Soon Add Text and Navigation Support for iPhone Users
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2
madsci954
macrumors 68000

So if you don't have a tethering plan, no soup for you?
madsci954 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 12:25 PM   #3
laflores
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
So if you don't have a tethering plan, no soup for you?
You don't need any tethering plan for using Bluetooth...
laflores is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Yo dawg, I heard you like to iPhone while you Glass so I put an iPhone on your Glass so you can iPhone while you Glass.
Drunken Master is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 12:31 PM   #5
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Connecting via BT is NOT tethering.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:35 PM   #6
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Nice, I can't wait to save 2 seconds each time I don't have to pull my iPhone of my pocket to see my text messages. Totally compensates for the fact that everyone will hate me for possibly be recording them at any time.
pgiguere1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 02:27 PM   #7
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
Yo dawg, I heard you like to iPhone while you Glass so I put an iPhone on your Glass so you can iPhone while you Glass.
Though it was put Glass in your iPhone?
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 03:08 PM   #8
rGiskard
macrumors 6502

I can't wait for this to fail in a spectacular way. Nobody wants to talk to someone who may or may not be paying more attention to text messages beamed onto his retina. Add in the possibility of archiving video of every conversation and the societal backlash will be brutal.
Old May 3, 2013, 03:59 PM   #9
dBeats
macrumors 6502

Please make these illegal while driving. I get sick to stomach thinking about people driving and getting texts that flash at them in the exact spot you need to check before making a left turn into oncoming traffic. Shivers. Yes, I'm also a motorcyclist.
dBeats is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by dBeats View Post
Please make these illegal while driving. I get sick to stomach thinking about people driving and getting texts that flash at them in the exact spot you need to check before making a left turn into oncoming traffic. Shivers. Yes, I'm also a motorcyclist.
Should probably make that iWatch illegal while driving too.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:07 PM   #11
shartypants
macrumors 6502a

Good thing Google is also into self-driving cars, I think they need to make sure mass production of these glasses coincides with their cars.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:17 PM   #12
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rGiskard View Post
Add in the possibility of archiving video of every conversation and the societal backlash will be brutal.
That's the reason for the LED that glows when its recording. So you know and can smack the person.

Then again as soon as this goes public someone will root the software to turn off the light.
charlituna is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 05:32 PM   #13
tevion5
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I can't wait for this to fail in a spectacular way. Nobody wants to talk to someone who may or may not be paying more attention to text messages beamed onto his retina. Add in the possibility of archiving video of every conversation and the societal backlash will be brutal.
I would never "wait for anything to" fail. Decca told the Beatles in 1962 guitars groups were on the way out. HP told Wozniak computers were not for the home. The brass at Xerox laughed at the idea of a "mouse" for a computer.

Sit back and see what happens, because nobody has a ********* clue.
Old May 3, 2013, 07:01 PM   #14
4TheLoveOfTech
Banned

This Guy is Using it to Teach

I know there isn't a lot of Google love on this site but this guy is using tech for the best reasons.

He uses it to teach his class. The Following Video is from his trip to CERN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yRrdeFh5-io
4TheLoveOfTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 07:15 PM   #15
max-sjc
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Add in the possibility of archiving video of every conversation and the societal backlash will be brutal.
The distrust won't last....

I bet people said the same thing about cameras in stores, buses, etc. Over 10 years ago, if someone proposed that people would post a list of their friends in a public place, many people would say he was crazy.

You might hate it, but your children might not even care. The mugger would also hate it when he sees the 'red LED' blinking on the old guys glasses. (Not saying that you are a bad guy)

The question is, "When there are cameras all over the place, who gets to see what is recored? The just government, everyone, or something in between...
max-sjc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 07:44 PM   #16
GoldenJoe
macrumors regular

Boy, I can't wait to live in a world where every move I make is recorded and uploaded to the internet by somebody.
GoldenJoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 09:02 PM   #17
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJoe View Post
Boy, I can't wait to live in a world where every move I make is recorded and uploaded to the internet by somebody.
Good news! Your wait is over.

It's already happening, most simply aren't aware, or locked in denial until at some point in the future, the truth is revealed.

My Great Grandfather had no idea that smoking was bad for him. Nor did any of his friends & professional colleagues know it either. That fact took years to be revealed. Call it a bad example if that soothes your nerves, but this is hardly any different.

The devices in our pockets or carried on our person are the tracking tools the Feds, Employers, and Insurance Companies dream of. And it doesn't cost them a dime
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 09:53 PM   #18
dhrlove
macrumors newbie

Soooo I have Apple recording my Siri inquiries and google logging EVERY interaction I have with their glasses?

No thanks.
dhrlove is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 12:54 AM   #19
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

I'm still baffled that this is really being sold.
Parasprite is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 12:55 AM   #20
Gmerdude
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Master View Post
What

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Gmerdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 01:28 AM   #21
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLoveOfTech View Post
I know there isn't a lot of Google love on this site but this guy is using tech for the best reasons.

He uses it to teach his class. The Following Video is from his trip to CERN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=yRrdeFh5-io
I'm not a fan of Google's ethics, but reading all the Google bashing on this website... it's really entertaining for all the wrong reasons
Old May 4, 2013, 01:51 AM   #22
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

I'm still not interested and never will be because, get this, it's a shocker:

I don't want to wear glasses.
Don't even own a pair of sunglasses.

If people go bananas for this, good for them.
Not for me.
OtherJesus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 05:14 AM   #23
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
I'm still baffled that this is really being sold.
You and me both.., unless of course i can airplay a movie to the google glass, and its got a built in speaker that discrete enough i can watch a movie when we have those boring team meetings
Old May 4, 2013, 12:32 PM   #24
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

#Gl*******s and #Gl*******Wannabes are rejoicing, no doubt.
Old May 4, 2013, 04:18 PM   #25
Vinamra
macrumors regular

Send a message via Skype™ to Vinamra
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhrlove View Post
Soooo I have Apple recording my Siri inquiries and google logging EVERY interaction I have with their glasses?

No thanks.
No offence, but if you're so concerned about security/safety, you should probably quit reading information on technology websites and dare I say you have an iPhone 4S/5 with Siri turned on. AI and augmented reality is the future.. deal with it.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion