Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Old May 3, 2013, 01:49 PM   #1
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

iMovie guru needed...

Anyone out there a bit tasty on iMovie?

I have a small project do complete fairly quickly. I've had to record a little promo video. It's under 4 mins, and just features me sitting at a table talking about a project I'm involved with.

I need to make it look a bit smarter. I'm pretty uncomfortable in front of the camera, and there are a few awkward pauses, where I'm thinking I could maybe do a cut to a still or something?

I'd also like to add an opening still shot and one at the end, just something put together in illustrator/photoshop giving the thing a title, then a thank you & web address at the end. Is that complicated? Also, I guess it would have to be a certain size & resolution?

I'm going to start looking for answers myself, but I need to get this done in the next few hours, and thought I'd post it here as I've found the members very helpful in the past.

Thanks.
mikebatho is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 01:54 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

What version of iMovie do you use and what kind of footage do you have (SD or HD)?
And yes, cutaways would be quite good, maybe show animated stills of what you talk about (if those are yours, some rights issue).
simsaladimbamba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 02:08 PM   #3
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

iMovie version 7.1.4

The folder I dragged from my camcorder says SD Video. It's one of these little JVC jobs with an internal hard drive, so I've had to convert the raw files to MP4, which I've done ok....

Can't use any animations or anything, what might be an option is, as I address key points in the video, I could have a a still page with a question, like where I'm talking about XYZ, have a caption page beforehand saying "What made you decide to do XYZ?"

That could work if it isn't too complicated, I might need about 4 caption pages....
Old May 3, 2013, 02:30 PM   #4
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

If you only got a few hours i cant see you getting it finished. If you know your lay out with iMovie, just say what you want regards errors and then use the editing software and edit. The same with any cutaways you want to use.
"SIMPLE" task
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 02:32 PM   #5
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
If you only got a few hours i cant see you getting it finished. If you know your lay out with iMovie, just say what you want regards errors and then use the editing software and edit. The same with any cutaways you want to use.
"SIMPLE" task
Sorry, I didn't understand any of that...
mikebatho is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:26 PM   #6
daybreak
macrumors 6502a

Sorry miss read your post.
Have you got any cutaway shoots sitting in iPhoto?. For fast work regards still cutaways bring them in into iPhoto and iMovie should handle the resolution.
daybreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:32 PM   #7
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by daybreak View Post
Sorry miss read your post.
Have you got any cutaway shoots sitting in iPhoto?. For fast work regards still cutaways bring them in into iPhoto and iMovie should handle the resolution.
No, I don't have any pics in iphoto I'm afraid, but I've kind of decided I want flat colour screens with captions, which can be dropped in though out....like a blank blue screen with the caption "How did you come up with this idea?" then I go on to explain in the video. Just need to know what kind of file I need to create. I seem to have a dim memory from years ago having to create a Targa file for someone making a vid...does that still stand?

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2013, 04:36 PM   #8
imurdaddy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebatho View Post
No, I don't have any pics in iphoto I'm afraid, but I've kind of decided I want flat colour screens with captions, which can be dropped in though out....like a blank blue screen with the caption "How did you come up with this idea?" then I go on to explain in the video. Just need to know what kind of file I need to create. I seem to have a dim memory from years ago having to create a Targa file for someone making a vid...does that still stand?

Cheers.
Use titles...set your background color...pick a style and font...set your duration.
imurdaddy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 04:45 PM   #9
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by imurdaddy View Post
Use titles...set your background color...pick a style and font...set your duration.
Ummm...that sounds easy lol......am I going to sail through this?

iMovie looked a bit scary from the outset...
Old May 3, 2013, 04:59 PM   #10
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Ummm...that sounds easy lol......am I going to sail through this?

iMovie looked a bit scary from the outset...
Yes, you should: 1 and 2
Old May 3, 2013, 05:00 PM   #11
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
yes, you should: 1 and 2
cheeeeers!!!
Old May 3, 2013, 07:45 PM   #12
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Nope. I'm struggling with this. I've only just figured out how to cut the right amount of footage from my imported movie into a new project. I've got hold of a copy of iLife for Dummies but it seems very outdated....
Old May 3, 2013, 08:09 PM   #13
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

I've now got the TITLES menu up.

I select 'centred' but can't see what to do next. When I drag it up to the start of my project it drops it over the top of the movie for about a minute, displaying as blue bars for about a dozen rows, and I can't see how to adjust it so it just hangs for a few seconds at the start before my video kicks in with a solid background.

I'm exhausted now, if someone could PM me to take me through this I'd be really grateful - it's way overdue.

Thanks.
Old May 4, 2013, 07:53 AM   #14
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

OK, the only way I'm gonna get this done is by dropping my caption pages in as pictures. I'm trying to do it by learning from tutorials, but I'm having some problems.

I've created a title page and dropped it into iphoto. I thought I'd concentrate on getting this in place correctly, then go back & create my other caption pages armed with the know how.

When I click the iMovie PHOTO icon and it opens the photo library window, my title screen pic is there - cool. I drag it to the start of my project until it pops up a little green line to say it's going in at the start, but when I drop it there, it leaves 2 shots of the screen instead of just one, and the only icon within that is 'crop', not time or anything else I need. And then, i don't know how to stitch the pic to the rest of my movie so it plays through - it just stops after it's played the photo.

HELP PLEASE??
Old May 4, 2013, 09:53 AM   #15
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Quote:
When I drag it up to the start of my project it drops it over the top of the movie for about a minute, displaying as blue bars for about a dozen rows, and I can't see how to adjust it so it just hangs for a few seconds at the start before my video kicks in with a solid background.
You should be able to drop it at the front of your video. Just drag it to the very end and look for that verticle green line.

Quote:
it leaves 2 shots of the screen instead of just one,
Not quite sure what you mean by that.

Quote:
when I drop it there, it leaves 2 shots of the screen instead of just one, and the only icon within that is 'crop', not time or anything else I need.
Either double click on it to open he Inspector, or click once and then click on the gearwheel on the lefthand side and choose Clip Adjustments.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:27 AM   #16
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Braine View Post
You should be able to drop it at the front of your video. Just drag it to the very end and look for that verticle green line.

Not quite sure what you mean by that.

Either double click on it to open he Inspector, or click once and then click on the gearwheel on the lefthand side and choose Clip Adjustments.
I've cobbled it together as best I could, thanks. The problem was, when I double clicked on the images, they didn't bring up the inspector. Strange bloody app....

Thanks though..
Old May 7, 2013, 07:29 PM   #17
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Back to the drawing board. Gah!! (Don't ask)

Ok, so now I sorta have a handle on cutting my clips together. One problem I have though, is when I add a still photo, it's doing this fancy slow zoom thing. Very nice, but I don't want it. How do I switch that off? It does it automatically with every pic I drop in.

Thanks.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:19 AM   #18
simsaladimbamba

Quote:
Back to the drawing board. Gah!! (Don't ask)

Ok, so now I sorta have a handle on cutting my clips together. One problem I have though, is when I add a still photo, it's doing this fancy slow zoom thing. Very nice, but I don't want it. How do I switch that off? It does it automatically with every pic I drop in.

Thanks.
How To Turn Off Ken Burns Effect in iMovie
Old May 8, 2013, 07:48 AM   #19
mikebatho
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Brilliant. Mega simple once you know. I didn't even know what that effect was called. I've a slightly better understanding now - thanks!
Old May 8, 2013, 03:05 PM   #20
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

All you need to know about Ken Burns:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Burns_effect

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video