Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 3, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Meet the New NRA President

I think he's going to make Wayne LaPierre look a like a <censored word for cat>.

Quote:
In a 2012 speech to the New York Rifle & Pistol Association, where he also refers to President Obama as a “fake president” and calls Attorney General Eric Holder “rabidly unAmerican,” incoming National Rifle Association President Jim Porter applied an odd label to the war that ended slavery in the United States and put down the single greatest act of treason in our nation’s history:

The NRA was started, 1871, right here in New York state. It was started by some Yankee generals who didn’t like the way my southern boys had the ability to shoot in what we call the “War of Northern Aggression.” Now, y’all might call it the Civil War, but we call it the War of Northern Aggression down south.

But that was the very reason that they started the National Rifle Association, was to teach and train the civilian in the use of the standard military firearm. And I am one who still feels very strongly that that is one of our most greatest charges that we can have today, is to train the civilian in the use of the standard military firearm, so that when they have to fight for their country they’re ready to do it. Also, when they’re ready to fight tyranny, they’re ready to do it. Also, when they’re ready to fight tyranny, they have the wherewithal and the weapons to do it...
Link
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2013, 02:29 PM   #2
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
I think he's going to make Wayne LaPierre look a like a <censored word for cat>.
Link
That is one of the most greatest vision things I've read!

Luckily, literacy is not a requirement for gun ownership, or the Presidency of the NRA. You don't need to know your native language to lead one of the, if not the, most influential lobbies (read: them that bribe legislators legally) in Washington.

And now on to the content of that brilliant screed...
Old May 3, 2013, 02:36 PM   #3
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Looks like he'll do well. A load of patriotic rhetoric that gun owners will swallow unquestionably while he uses their membership money to protect the profits and interests of the gun industry. Including those that market weapons to children.
Old May 7, 2013, 03:12 AM   #4
63dot
macrumors 601

What a shame.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:35 AM   #5
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
Including those that market weapons to children.
Who is marketing guns to children?
lostngone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 04:31 AM   #6
zin
macrumors 6502

And I thought the previous guy was insane...
zin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 04:56 AM   #7
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Well, unless people like this guy are reassured that tyranny can be preempted by means other than firearms, there is always going to be a hard core of people who will defend their right to own a gun as though they were fighting tyranny. It does little good to simply dismiss them out of hand without understanding why they are so attached to their weapons.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:17 AM   #8
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

It looks like the NRA people still live in the 18th century. The only tyranny they should fight against is the coming dictatorship of Her Majesty Lady Honey Boo Boo and her Sass Squad.
Andeavor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:20 AM   #9
eawmp1
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
Well, unless people like this guy are reassured that tyranny can be preempted by means other than firearms, there is always going to be a hard core of people who will defend their right to own a gun as though they were fighting tyranny. It does little good to simply dismiss them out of hand without understanding why they are so attached to their weapons.
One can marginalize without dismissing.

The NRA clearly has become a tool of gun manufacturers. Through the NRA, one can whip up a base of deluded people who point to a war 150 years ago as proof the U.S. government is going to round them up.

However this inflammatory rhetoric is dangerous. Timothy McVeight quit the NRA because he thought the NRA was too moderate.
eawmp1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 11:24 AM   #10
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by eawmp1 View Post
One can marginalize without dismissing.
However this inflammatory rhetoric is dangerous. Timothy McVeight quit the NRA because he thought the NRA was too moderate.
Right. MvVeigh is an example of what happens when people feel marginalized - they become violent. Rhetoric can't radicalize people unless they are already feeling alienated from the rest of society. I am just saying it would be useful to understand the point of view of the people in the NRA even if one disagrees with them. There is far too much polarization in American politics now.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:12 PM   #11
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
Who is marketing guns to children?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...9&postcount=62
Old May 7, 2013, 12:55 PM   #12
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Yes, I know all about that tragedy.

I am probably one of the few members that has actually handled the model of firearm in question.

Making and selling a firearm for young shooters is 100% different from marketing to children.
lostngone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:03 PM   #13
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Making and selling a firearm for young shooters is 100% different from marketing to children.
Same thing.
Andeavor is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:09 PM   #14
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andeavor View Post
It looks like the NRA people still live in the 18th century. The only tyranny they should fight against is the coming dictatorship of Her Majesty Lady Honey Boo Boo and her Sass Squad.
Actually, I may be a little sick but why do I think such an arrangement would be highly entertaining? I'd love a position on the Sass Squad!
barkomatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:11 PM   #15
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Same thing.
+1, to say otherwise is silly.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:18 PM   #16
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Same thing.
Most poisons and explosives have brightly colored labels, so by your logic those manufacturer are marketing to children as well.

----------

Quote:
+1, to say otherwise is silly.
How is that the same?

Are they pushing these on TV during kids shows on bill boards out side of schools/playgrounds?

I have never even seen an AD for one of these rifles so again how exactly are they marketing these to children?
Old May 7, 2013, 01:27 PM   #17
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Most poisons and explosives have brightly colored labels, so by your logic those manufacturer are marketing to children as well.

----------

How is that the same?

Are they pushing these on TV during kids shows on bill boards out side of schools/playgrounds?

I have never even seen an AD for one of these rifles so again how exactly are they marketing these to children?
You do agree that those rifles are made for a younger population. By definition, if a product is made for a certain demographic, it is considered marketing. Marketing does not only involve ads.

But then again, ads were made

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...60&postcount=1
Old May 7, 2013, 02:00 PM   #18
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You do agree that those rifles are made for a younger population. By definition, if a product is made for a certain demographic, it is considered marketing. Marketing does not only involve ads.

But then again, ads were made

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...60&postcount=1
Well if your definition of marketing is the simple production of an item for a young demographic then there are thousands of very dangerous things on the market that they need to stop selling from medication, food and even clothing.

As far as the ads you mentioned, it absolutely matters when it comes to intent on when and how it is displayed as to who they are trying to sell the item to.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:06 PM   #19
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Well if your definition of marketing is the simple production of an item for a young demographic then there are thousands of very dangerous things on the market that they need to stop selling from medication, food and even clothing.

As far as the ads you mentioned, it absolutely matters when it comes to intent on when and how it is displayed as to who they are trying to sell the item to.
I know I'm OT, and I don't mean this to be sarcastic. I've been trying to think of dangerous clothing...and I can't come up with any. I'm sure you had something in mind when you wrote that...

So...please give me an example of dangerous clothing.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:07 PM   #20
aerok
macrumors 65816

Quote:
then there are thousands of very dangerous things on the market that they need to stop selling from medication, food and even clothing.
I agree

Quote:
To kids

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
I know I'm OT, and I don't mean this to be sarcastic. I've been trying to think of dangerous clothing...and I can't come up with any. I'm sure you had something in mind when you wrote that...

Iron Man suits obviously... They have ion cannons and stuffs.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:11 PM   #21
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

There are items on some clothing items like pull stings, buttons and some none breathable fabric that you would not want need a baby due the issue of chocking/asphyxiation.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:12 PM   #22
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Ok, I'll bite....

How about the use of cartoon characters and cute little titles like "My First Rifle"?

Not "My Daughter's First Rifle" nor "My Son's First Pistol".

But you already know this is being marketed to kids because you know how to fire up a computer, open a browser, and engage in mock debate.
noisycats is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 02:26 PM   #23
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree
So you think it is a good idea to stop selling things like antibiotics and baby food? Wow!

Quote:
To kids[COLOR="#808080"]
Prove to me they were advertising to "kids"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
Ok, I'll bite....

How about the use of cartoon characters and cute little titles like "My First Rifle"?

Not "My Daughter's First Rifle" nor "My Son's First Pistol".

But you already know this is being marketed to kids because you know how to fire up a computer, open a browser, and engage in mock debate.
Where was this displayed? Was it ever even advertised in a magazine or other advertisement?

As far as I can tell this was only displayed on the manufacturer's website and gun stores where the rifles are being sold.

I do not know for sure but lets say it was in a magazine like Guns and Ammo. Can you please tell me that the readership demographic for 12 and under is? I would guess pretty low.

So once again even with the logo how was this weapon being marketed to children?

Last edited by lostngone; May 7, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:26 PM   #24
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Iron Man suits obviously... They have ion cannons and stuffs.
Ah...

WARNING: Too many movies. Losing contact with reality. WARNING

Quote:
There are items on some clothing items like pull stings, buttons and some none breathable fabric that you would not want need a baby due the issue of chocking/asphyxiation.
Good point. I was thinking adult clothing. In theory, those clothes are regulated, and are not supposed to be sold. They can by required to be withdrawn from the market...but your point is a good one.
Old May 7, 2013, 02:27 PM   #25
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

MR ate my reply!

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues