Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Samsung's latest ad has made its way online (via CNET), once again poking fun at Apple's iPhone in order to promote its new flagship phone, the Galaxy S4.

The 93-second ad takes place at a summer pool party and has Galaxy S4 users showing off select features of their phone, like the ability to control a TV, air gestures, the camera and S Beam, which allows users to transfer content between phones by bumping them together.

Like last year's Samsung ad, which poked fun at the iPhone 5 launch, Samsung portrays the iPhone as uncool by having older, parent-like figures using the iPhone 5.

iphonesamsung.png

Article Link: New Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad Pokes Fun at iPhone

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
Its the whole bully attitude, if you can't be creative then pick on someone. :rolleyes:

Most reviews have not been kind to the S4.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA
You never see

You know, you never see Apple making fun of Samsung phones or the company in their ads...
I guess it's just a good gauge of class.

EDIT - WOOSH. Sarcasm. I guess you guys never heard of it? Jesus you people are dense.

Last edited:

aDRock1154

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2011
Ohio
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Samsung's latest ad has made its way online (via CNET), once again poking fun at Apple's iPhone in order to promote its new flagship phone, the Galaxy S4.

YouTube: video
The 93-second ad takes place at a summer pool party and has Galaxy S4 users showing off select features of their phone, like the ability to control a TV, air gestures, the camera and S Beam, which allows users to transfer content between phones by bumping them together.

Like last year's Samsung ad, which poked fun at the iPhone 5 launch, Samsung portrays the iPhone as uncool by having older, parent-like figures using the iPhone 5.

Article Link: New Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad Pokes Fun at iPhone

Those ribs didn't look half bad..

jesusplay

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
SOUTH
innovation is dead. I have no desire to buy another phone after the iphone 5 for a while. I have LTE, I have a great camera, it's not to big. I'll be using this thing for years.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Its the whole bully attitude, if you can't be creative then pick on someone. :rolleyes:

Most reviews have not been kind to the S4.

I don't know about bullying... Apple made fun of PCs.

As for reviews, I thought most were positive, but with reservations due to the gimmicks and cheap build quality.

One thing's for sure... When you mix Android + TouchWiz + gimmicky features + dupe features (like 2 app stores), you end up with a very steep, frustrating learning curve and a cluster F of a user experience.

mrdjroman

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
I hope Apple reply soon to Samsung's commercials!

But I do have to give credit to Samsung on the commercial!

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
It was mildly humorous. Did it feel longer than 1:30 to anyone else? At about the 30s mark I lost all interest.

If there was one thing I didn't like about the Samsung ads it's that they always seem way too long!

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Android's features are cool, but the question is how productive are they on a daily basis. I prefer OS stability, cellphone material quality, and the ability to sync between my devices than sharing photos with phone touching, answering with hand waving, and turning my TV with my phone (which can be done with any DVR and an app from your cable company).

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
Android's features are cool, but the question is how productive are they on a daily basis. I prefer OS stability, cellphone material quality, and the ability to sync between my devices than sharing photos with phone touching, answering with hand waving, and turning my TV with my phone (which can be done with any DVR and an app from your cable company).

While I agree with everything you just said, Android does have perks more than that. I'm not a fan of the S4 or even S-series phones.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
that wave feature is interesting, does anyone know how you would hang up on a call? (do you wave again? or do you have to touch the device?)

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I guess that advertisement manages to show off features and shows how lame old people are. I guess that is what Samsung thinks sells?

While I appreciate Samsung at least trying to introduce novel features, many of them seem like impractical gimmicks. For example, is it really easier to have to bump your phone into another to share a photo?

Aside from gimmicks and a dodgy camera, I have not really heard anything terrible about the GS4. Step it up Apple!

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
that wave feature is interesting, does anyone know how you would hang up on a call? (do you wave again? or do you have to touch the device?)

This is another thing I don't really understand... how useful is this? If you are close enough to gesture, wouldn't you also be close enough to actually touch the screen? I have heard the gestures don't work well in low light conditions. Maybe if tuned well... the motion tracking could be used like a mobile motion controller like the xbox kinect or whatever it is called. Paired with a TV, this would be a clever mobile gaming solution.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
I thought the features look pretty darn useful. In my opinion still far ahead of iOS, of course that may change with iOS7, we'll have to see.

As far as Samsung attacking Apple, let's be fair, Apple has done this in the past with Microsoft, and nobody in the forums had an issue with it. Let's try not to be hypocrites shall we? Why was it ok for Apple to attack Microsoft?, yet when a company decides to attack Apple we get on the defensive.

I've never been the type to kiss butt of any company, If I don't like something about Apple products I don't have any issues with admitting it..

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I thought the features look pretty darn useful. In my opinion still far ahead of iOS, of course that may change with iOS7, we'll have to see.

As far as Samsung attacking Apple, let's be fair, Apple has done this in the past with Microsoft, and nobody in the forums had an issue with it. Let's try not to be hypocrites shall we? Why was it ok for Apple to attack Microsoft?, yet when a company decides to attack Apple we get on the defensive.

I've never been the type to kiss butt of any company, If I don't like something about Apple products I don't have any issues with admitting it..

How do you see these features as useful? Holding a pointed finger at the screen to open a txt msg seems slower than actually pressing to open. I suppose if your fingers are covered with delicious BBQ sauce...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.