Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old May 3, 2013, 09:23 PM   #1
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Sick of people complaining about "flat design!"

when did apple ever say "ya johny I've has been making iOS a more flat looking interface."???? how can you hate iOS 7 when we have no idea of what it will be like until june??? thats my daily rant.
Old May 4, 2013, 01:48 PM   #2
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
when did apple ever say "ya johny I've has been making iOS a more flat looking interface."???? how can you hate iOS 7 when we have no idea of what it will be like until june??? thats my daily rant.
Agreed, people are already complaining off of speculation that literally has NO evidence at ALL.
The most evidence is "the WWDC logo is colorful obviously they're goin metro OMG apple is the new Microsoft, here comes the monopoly lawsuit"
paulbennett95 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 01:58 PM   #3
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbennett95 View Post
Agreed, people are already complaining off of speculation that literally has NO evidence at ALL.
The most evidence is "the WWDC logo is colorful obviously they're goin metro OMG apple is the new Microsoft, here comes the monopoly lawsuit"
wow. apple sucks. they r making iOS 7 ugly. it looks like windows 8..... just stop lol
Old May 4, 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
OK, let me get this straight. You are complaining about other people complaining?
Old May 4, 2013, 02:06 PM   #5
bushido
macrumors 603

70% of those people probably dont even know what "flat" means and simply bitch because all they "heard" is that windows 8 is apparently "flat" and they hate it
Old May 4, 2013, 03:01 PM   #6
MarcBook
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
70% of those people probably dont even know what "flat" means and simply bitch because all they "heard" is that windows 8 is apparently "flat" and they hate it
Exactly. 'Flat' doesn't necessarily mean totally 2D like Windows 8 and Windows Phone. I'd call Mountain Lion's design pretty 'flat' with its mostly monochrome colour-scheme and narrow or non-existant borders.
MarcBook is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 05:35 PM   #7
Reach9
macrumors 68020

Sigh..anyone who wants to know what Flat UI really is should look at Google's UI on their various products, for example the new Google Now app on the App Store.

And how bad is that UI? It's much better than the glossy days of the past.

That's proper flat design. Windows Phone 8 UI is the flattest thing out there and Apple sure isn't going that far.

I believe Ive is doing the right thing. Please feel free to share this post with others who need to be educated on Flat UI.
(I would attach pics but I'm on the go)
Reach9 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 05:36 PM   #8
johndallas999
Banned

Quote:
Do you even know what you're talking about? I think a flat design will suck as well but everyone going to have an opinion. Not everyone just by default loves everything Apple does.
johndallas999 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

As always, I'm confused. How can anybody, like, dislike, hate, love or otherwise hold any opinion about something that no one has ever seen!??

Just asking...
Old May 4, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
Reach9
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
As always, I'm confused. How can anybody, like, dislike, hate, love or otherwise hold any opinion about something that no one has ever seen!??

Just asking...
As a hobbyist designer, I can tell you that I like Google's flat UI very much, and I believe an Apple's version of that design would look beautiful.

So I'm looking forward to iOS 7 with confidence in Ive.
Reach9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 07:57 PM   #11
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach9 View Post
As a hobbyist designer, I can tell you that I like Google's flat UI very much, and I believe an Apple's version of that design would look beautiful.

So I'm looking forward to iOS 7 with confidence in Ive.
I agree, Googles flat UI on all their apps are beautiful, although some of their apps haven't been updated to it.
Google Maps, Search, and Google+ are all very beautiful apps and show "flat" design done correctly.
paulbennett95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 08:18 PM   #12
WishIWasHere
macrumors regular

Maybe the complaints/concerns about flat design is just payback for the unending bitching about skeuomorphism the last couple of years.
WishIWasHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 05:58 AM   #13
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Can someone explain why glossy is good? All these apps with the glossy effect seem so dated compared to their non glossy counterpart. The letterpress app icon os an example of losing the ugly bits of iOS but not going completely flat. The icon has a textured background and has an element of 3D, but it still looks great and not cartoonish. And no glossy lacquer over it.

Thumb resize.

Compare that to the phone icon
Thumb resize.

Or the App Store icon
Thumb resize.

They both look really outdated. Like going in to a house and seeing brass hardware everywhere.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:47 AM   #14
theking79
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Can someone explain why glossy is good? All these apps with the glossy effect seem so dated compared to their non glossy counterpart. The letterpress app icon os an example of losing the ugly bits of iOS but not going completely flat. The icon has a textured background and has an element of 3D, but it still looks great and not cartoonish. And no glossy lacquer over it.

Thumb resize.

Compare that to the phone icon
Thumb resize.

Or the App Store icon
Thumb resize.

They both look really outdated. Like going in to a house and seeing brass hardware everywhere.
That letterpress app icon is exactly what Apple are being reported to move away from, its fake analog and has become very outdated.

Flat design takes away all the unnecessary effects and gloss and isn't made to look like analog, like a lot of the fake calendars/clocks Apple does.

Here's an example from Google of flat design, there are no drop shadows or unnecessary effects, its all made in block colours:

theking79 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Personally I think the letterpress app icon looks ok. But maybe that's because its in small doses and the app itself is quite flat.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:14 PM   #16
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

flat makes sense.
My dream:
if every graphic is a vector, which is a lot easier if all buttons and assets are flat, that would mean very little need for texture packs (buttons would no longer be a .png file that is loaded and stored in the RAM, but rather a set of instructions sent to the GPU to render a square with a blue background.)

eventually...eventually.....resolution independence (no .png file to stretch, just a GPU to be told to draw the square bigger.)

eventually....
different sized iphones that arent fragmented.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:30 PM   #17
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknikal90 View Post
flat makes sense.
My dream:
if every graphic is a vector, which is a lot easier if all buttons and assets are flat, that would mean very little need for texture packs (buttons would no longer be a .png file that is loaded and stored in the RAM, but rather a set of instructions sent to the GPU to render a square with a blue background.)

eventually...eventually.....resolution independence (no .png file to stretch, just a GPU to be told to draw the square bigger.)

eventually....
different sized iphones that arent fragmented.
It's a nice idea, but the problem with vectors is that they're not very performance oriented, and the CPU/GPU having to redraw them all the time would likely take a toll on the battery. By how much, I'm not sure. Probably not that much in the grand scheme of things. But in a mobile environment, everything has to be as efficient as possible, and vectors do draw more power than bitmaps.

It's usually much more efficient just to make your icons and UI elements a decently large bitmap, and downscale them to the size you need them to be on the UI. As long as you're scaling down by powers of 2, and don't go too extreme with the resolution (like use a 2048x icon that's gonna be as large as a fingertip onscreen), you can make a good looking, resolution independent UI without falling back on vectors.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 02:43 PM   #18
rtomyj
macrumors 6502

If you want to know how Apple is going to design iOS 7, look at the passbook app on iOS. The sample card is flat and beautiful!
rtomyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 02:49 PM   #19
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Wait until the OS is official released.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 04:39 PM   #20
Trius
macrumors 6502a

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post

Just asking...
Welcome to Macrumors...
Trius is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:43 PM   #21
WhackyNinja
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to WhackyNinja
Quote:
I welcome the new design. Heck I welcome ANY new design thats good and makes iOS look sexy.

"Am I a good man?" -The Twelfth Doctor
WhackyNinja is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:18 PM   #22
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Apple's website has more or less been a combination of current iOS/Mac OS GUI and flat design for a while.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 12:13 AM   #23
MUBiomed
macrumors 6502

Flat just has bad connotations. We will love or hate it when we see it. I prefer a "flatter" design like the google icons posted above but others will complain. June isn't that far away guys!
Old May 8, 2013, 05:47 PM   #24
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

either way, i will stay on 5.1.1 just tire of the complaining.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:48 PM   #25
jt2020
macrumors newbie

I'm ok with either design.
jt2020 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7