Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old May 3, 2013, 09:33 PM   #1
CFoss
macrumors 6502

Safari using all the free system memory over time?

I've been having performance issues in Safari as of late. When I check the activity monitor, it's using an absurd amount of system memory over time (to the point where there's none available). As soon as I quit and restart Safari, everything goes back to normal, but the issue persists again over time.

I realize that you should usually let the system do its job, but the performance issues make me wonder if there's more to the problem than on the surface. Does anyone have any suggestions, other than restarting safari completely?
CFoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 12:39 AM   #2
ipsychedelic
macrumors 6502a

Do you have many extensions? Or memory hungry ones?
I had this issue before and part of it was due to AdBlock (but I cannot live without my AdBlock!!!), but then after all it was due to another application also eating memory like crazy (so I kill it when I'm on the computer, and leave it on when I'm away).
ipsychedelic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Macman45
macrumors G5

Try emptying the cache on a regular basis....I do this on both Mac's and have no issues at all....You can set it to empty the cache on exit. For some reason Apple decided to hide the menu bar option, and you need to enable developer tools to get at it from there.

You can of course still access it from prefs.
Old May 4, 2013, 12:46 AM   #4
ipsychedelic
macrumors 6502a

I forgot to add, I also found the purge command (console) to be effective somewhat at times where I felt like it would start eating the RAM physically.
ipsychedelic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion