Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sweex

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
Hy,

I have some troubles with the audio of my 15" MBP (6.2 medio 2010 OS 10.8.3) and I hope somebody can help me solve it.
Since a few days my computer seems to think that there is an optical cable plugged in the audio (out jack) even when there isn't. If I connect my headphones or use an optical cable for my sound it puts out sound. Just when nothing is connected he thinks there is so I can't play any sound trough my computers speakers. Everything was still functioning fine a few days ago, and if I boot my laptop I can hear the startup chime so I guess it's a sensor or a software issue.
Does anybody have a clue on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I solved it by pocking a bit with a toothpick and a headphone jack after reading this post:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/239287/

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Your headphone jack has crapped out, most if not all audio jacks have a mechanical switch inside, it will close a contact so that the electronics/software knows something is inside, yours seem to be crooked.
The only way to fix this is to service the MBP.
You might have a separate sound board and if this is the case you can replace that part only.

But, before you do you could test your MBP with a new clean install on an external medium like a USB stick (Minimum 8 GB), install a fresh copy on the stick, boot from it, if still the same it is almost 100% sure to be the jack.

You can go to iFixit guides to see if yours has a separate sound board.

I would also recommend to run Apple Hardware Test.

Intel-based Macs: Using Apple Hardware Test

Update: Sadly your MBP does not seem to have a separate audio board.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro_15%22_Unibody_Mid_2010

sweex

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
And isn't there a (software) way to force OS X to output the sound through the speakers.
When I boot into Ubuntu I can do this, but it seems OS X does not give me the choice.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
And isn't there a (software) way to force OS X to output the sound through the speakers.
When I boot into Ubuntu I can do this, but it seems OS X does not give me the choice.

No, I don't think so.

I have to add something to my former post, it is almost sure to have a supporting switch inside the jack but I am not 100% sure, it could also be done by voltage sensing for instance.

Best way is to do as in my first post, run Apple Hardware Test first, if there are no errors install a clean OS on a USB stick and boot from it, see if it sol ved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.