Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 4, 2013, 09:57 AM   #1
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Whatdoes "Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless" mean?

When I look up a person's phone number, I see this:

Cellco Partnership Dba Verizon Wireless

Does this mean they're on an independent carrier that uses Verizon's towers? Or perhaps a carrier that Verizon just bought?

Does anyone know what that means in relation to the phone number I typed into google?

Thanks!
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 10:28 AM   #2
blevins321
macrumors 68030

I've seen that before. I believe that is what comes up for former Alltel customers before Verizon partially acquired them.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
I've seen that before. I believe that is what comes up for former Alltel customers before Verizon partially acquired them.
Thanks, so chances are that phone number is on an independent carrier network then...
Leonard1818 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 06:32 AM   #4
kvaughan
macrumors member

Dba stand for "doing business as"
kvaughan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 08:35 AM   #5
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

For all intents and purposes, you're on Verizon. The airlines do this all the time with regional carriers. ExpressJet operates a lot of things for United as their Express line. So you'll see "ExpressJet dba United Airlines" when you use their flights (basically all the Embraer-model flights)...

If you had a problem you'd call United in the above example.
Old May 5, 2013, 06:48 PM   #6
mrbrown
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to mrbrown Send a message via AIM to mrbrown Send a message via MSN to mrbrown Send a message via Yahoo to mrbrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Thanks, so chances are that phone number is on an independent carrier network then...
Nope, has nothing to do with it. Cellco Partnership is Verizon Wireless's official, legal business name. It is not an MVNO and it doesn't have anything to do with being on a different network.
mrbrown is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:16 AM   #7
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Also: Be aware that if the person has ported their number out to a different carrier, telcodata.us and similar databases DO NOT reflect this. They only shows the carrier that was originally assigned that number, and don't track ports. So, all you know for sure is that it originally started out as a Verizon number. It could still be, or it could be ported out to some other carrier.

Example: my cell number, which I've had since 1999, was originally on Sprint. Since then it's been ported to Verizon, then to Cingular (as it was called back then), then T-Mobile, then back to Sprint, and then to AT&T. But if you look it up, it's still listed as a Sprint number.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone