Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old May 4, 2013, 08:47 PM   #1
determined09
macrumors 6502

Personal Trainer Pros and Cons

I'm thinking about hiring a personal trainer. I need to lose about 80 to 100 Lbs. Do anyone have any personal experience with a personal trainer? Was hiring a personal trainer worth the money? I mostly want to lose weight for health reasons. I'm having trouble finding cloths that fit me and that I would like to wear.. Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated?

Last edited by determined09; May 5, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
determined09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 09:22 PM   #2
Darkhrse99
macrumors regular

Do you workout now? How does your diet look? I would adjust your diet before dishing out money on a trainer. What do you think a trainer will do for you?
Darkhrse99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2013, 09:43 PM   #3
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by determined09 View Post
...anyone have any personal experience with a personal trainer? Was hiring a personal trainer worth the money? I mostly want to lose weight for health reasons. Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhrse99 View Post
Do you workout now? How does your diet look? I would adjust your diet before dishing out money on a trainer. What do you think a trainer will do for you?
good on ya for setting the goal and starting to work towards it. as above, what is your experience level, are you working out now, do you have a plan/diet etc?

a trainer can be useful for setting up a fitness plan and getting started on correct form, exercise selection, and machine usage if you're joining a club/gym. when it comes to machines, if you don't know what to do or how to use it, ask first! you can really do yourself some damage with some of those crazy contraptions. if you do plan to join, you might ask if the club/gym has trainers available, as they might be easier and cheaper to get going with, and drop when you are on your way. a club local to me keeps sending me snail spam that says '10 free training sessions' if i join NOW! your mileage may vary.

think long term as it won't happen overnight. there is no magic pill. it took time to put it on, it takes as long/longer to take it off. you can do it. best of luck.
Old May 4, 2013, 09:53 PM   #4
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhrse99 View Post
No, I don't workout now. My diet needs a lot improvement it's mostly highly processed food aka fast foods,soda, ice cream, breakfast tacos, bacon, french fries, cheeseburgers, very few fruits and vegetables. I really need to start taking my lunch to work and learn to cook at home. I want to loss weight to prevent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. In addition, I my size it's hard to find clothes that I like. I'm only 37 yrs old and the clothes that fit me make me look like someone's grandmother. I would like to look better, too.

I would think a trainer will give me jump start and guide for exercise plan and diet.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
good on ya for setting the goal and starting to work towards it. as above, what is your experience level, are you working out now, do you have a plan/diet etc?

a trainer can be useful for setting up a fitness plan and getting started on correct form, exercise selection, and machine usage if you're joining a club/gym. when it comes to machines, if you don't know what to do or how to use it, ask first! you can really do yourself some damage with some of those crazy contraptions. if you do plan to join, you might ask if the club/gym has trainers available, as they might be easier and cheaper to get going with, and drop when you are on your way. a club local to me keeps sending me snail spam that says '10 free training sessions' if i join NOW! your mileage may vary.

think long term as it won't happen overnight. there is no magic pill. it took time to put it on, it takes as long/longer to take it off. you can do it. best of luck.
Thanks. I have no workout experience. Now, a few years back I lost 40 lbs over 7 months,but I had some loose skin. I don't have a diet plan. I was thinking about joining weight watchers for about 3 months.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:59 PM   #5
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
...My diet needs a lot improvement it's mostly highly processed food aka fast foods,soda, ice cream, breakfast tacos, bacon, french fries, cheeseburgers, very few fruits and vegetables. I really need to start taking my lunch to work and learn to cook at home. I want to loss weight to prevent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. In addition, I my size it's hard to find clothes that I like. I'm only 37 yrs old and the clothes that fit me make me look like someone's grandmother. I would like to look better, too.

I would think a trainer will give me jump start and guide for exercise plan and diet.

I was thinking about joining weight watchers for about 3 months.
sounds like you're doing great so far. you've identified the problem (diet), want to take steps to correct it, and plan to incorporate exercise. get certified, and you could be your own trainer!

fix your diet first. you are what you eat and it affects how you feel/perform. eat good, feel good, perform good. again, not an easy change to make, but everything else you do will be based on it. the bottom line, no matter what anyone else tells you, is as simple as calories in versus calories out. if you take in more calories than you need, you gain. if you create a sustainable calorie deficit by taking in less than you use, you lose weight. period. good food helps in that you feel better, generally consume far less calories, and feel full much longer than with the crap fast food stuff. exercise helps as well in that you burn more calories during the day, and sometimes for quite awhile after depending on type/intensity of the exercise, creating a bigger calorie deficit. it really does help to keep track of daily calories, as it makes it easier to find out if more is coming in or more is going out. i used to write stuff down in a daily log, but now just keep a running total in my head. what ever works for you, just do it.

the big problem i have with the 'box store' diets is they don't teach you life skills to make a permanent change with. they want you to eat 'their' food in a box. i don't like 'box' food, i like yummy fresh food that i prepare how/when i want, and i know whats in it because i put it there! there is also no life 'after the box' because they hope you stick with the box plan for a loooonnnngggg time. boring/expensive, no thanks! learning how/what to cook and what to eat is a better 'life change' solution for less money. i don't know about your location, but around me the local community college offers cooking classes on the evenings/weekends and is way cheaper than a box plan. the local 'health food store' also has some cooking classes, but they want to sell you the stuff to cook with and they only use pricey things to learn with it seems... learn to read the labels on the food you buy. you won't believe some of the stuff they sneak in, and how many things have ingredients that you don't want like partially hydrogenated oil (trans fat, non digestible, this crap will kill you). couple websites i use and like (except for the ever annoying ads...) are WebMD and Active as both have decent info across a wide range of topics that you could use. i get a lot of daily use recipies from the webmd page. cheap, easy, healthy, works for me!

if trying to change everything at once is a bit much, too expensive, etc then work on diet first. while you are doing that, add in a brisk walk a couple times a week. depending on where in TX, it's likely hotter than the surface of the sun, or will be soon so go early/late or find an indoor spot like a mall. get a drink of water, walk a lap, repeat! free except the cost of decent shoes, and works wonders for getting going.

you're on the right track, just keep going. best of luck.
Old May 5, 2013, 09:30 AM   #6
obeygiant
macrumors 68040

I've worked out with a trainer for over a year now. He's aware of what I think my limit is and pushes me just slightly over. Because if you don't push yourself you won't get better.

Also each week he's changing the workout so that my body doesn't get stuck in a groove which is easy to do.

Per his advice I now prepare my meals, (grilled chicked and quinoa) for lunch and dinner and some almonds for a snack. Lots of water (at least 3 litres a day) and keep away from refined sugar. I've also reduced my dairy intake drastically and use almond milk in place of regular 2% or skim.

For me it was worth it. I've spent about $1500 on a trainer over the past year and its been worth it.

Consistency is the key, just keep going to the gym.
obeygiant is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 03:44 PM   #7
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post
I've worked out with a trainer for over a year now. He's aware of what I think my limit is and pushes me just slightly over. Because if you don't push yourself you won't get better.

Also each week he's changing the workout so that my body doesn't get stuck in a groove which is easy to do.

Per his advice I now prepare my meals, (grilled chicked and quinoa) for lunch and dinner and some almonds for a snack. Lots of water (at least 3 litres a day) and keep away from refined sugar. I've also reduced my dairy intake drastically and use almond milk in place of regular 2% or skim.

For me it was worth it. I've spent about $1500 on a trainer over the past year and its been worth it.

Thanks. You got a great deal on the personal trainer. The one that I contacted he's a fitness trainer for competitions. He's a lot higher in price.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:52 PM   #8
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No, I don't workout now. My diet needs a lot improvement it's mostly highly processed food aka fast foods,soda, ice cream, breakfast tacos, bacon, french fries, cheeseburgers, very few fruits and vegetables. I really need to start taking my lunch to work and learn to cook at home. I want to loss weight to prevent diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. In addition, I my size it's hard to find clothes that I like. I'm only 37 yrs old and the clothes that fit me make me look like someone's grandmother. I would like to look better, too.

----------

Thanks. I have no workout experience. Now, a few years back I lost 40 lbs over 7 months,but I had some loose skin. I don't have a diet plan. I was thinking about joining weight watchers for about 3 months.
Hi determined09, like others have posted, congrats on making the decision to get healthy. It's well worth it and will be one of the best decisions you've ever made.

I see that your location is Texas, but you don't say where. I live in the DFW area and I've lost over 75 pounds in the last 15 weeks following the Slim 4 Life plan. If you are not familiar with Slim 4 Life they have walk in centers that offer a weight loss program. Unlike Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig they don't sell you prepackaged food, but teach you how to make healthy food choices and how to make permanent changes to your eating habits so that you can maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life. They do sell supplements (Metabolizers, Multi-Vitamins, Fish Oil, etc.) and snacks (Protein shakes, bars, etc.) that will help in the weight loss process, but you can do their plan without the supplements.

Like I said, I have lost over 75 pounds in the past 15 weeks following the full plan with supplements. My wife has lost over 30 pounds in that same time frame without taking the supplements. Let me clarify that, she doesn't take the Slim 4 Life supplements, we simply bought her a good Fish Oil and a good women's multi-vitamin through GNC. You mentioned loose skin in one of your posts. Fish oil (Omega 3's) greatly helps with skin care, specifically with weight loss as it promotes elasticity of the skin. This will help your skin tighten up as you do lose weight.

Here's a big thing, I've been able to accomplish all of this without exercise. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying exercise is bad, in fact, I'm looking to start exercising soon. However, I was looking for a way to lose weight and get healthy by focusing on lifestyle and diet changes mainly as I believe that these are the key areas where most people lack self control and motivation. The Slim 4 Life plan has taught me how to make healthy choices with fresh food I buy at my grocery or market and how to eat proper portions. I've only eaten out a few times in the past several months and haven't touched a soda since I started all of this in January. Going into the center a few times a week provides me with accountability and motivation. On top of that the staff is helpful in checking your food log and offering additional help when or if your weight loss stalls. I've certainly learned that a big part of being healthy is proper planning and preparation. My wife is such a support for our family in this area. She shops for the right foods and then preps the correct portions for the entire week. This makes cooking meals, grabbing a snack, or taking lunch to work so much easier.

I'm sure this sounds like a commercial for their plan, but I'm just telling you honestly what has worked for me. Check out my post count, I'm a long time member/poster here at MR, so this is not a spam post. I'd be happy to tell you more or answer any questions you might have. All the best with your journey toward better health. I hope you find something that works for you and that it is truly a lifestyle change.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:56 PM   #9
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

unless you have a true physiological issue, it's all in your head. if you really want to get healthy and lose weight, set your mind to it and tough it out.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:55 AM   #10
stonyc
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to stonyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
unless you have a true physiological issue, it's all in your head. if you really want to get healthy and lose weight, set your mind to it and tough it out.
Yeah, that doesn't work for everybody.

Ultimately, yes... everyone is accountable to themselves first and foremost. But having a personal trainer can be helpful for some reasons already mentioned... but also sometimes being accountable to someone else other than yourself can help motivate you to continue working out and following a plan.

I know when I started with my trainer, sometimes I really didn't want to tear myself out of bed at 6am... but knowing that I had already paid, and not going would be a waste of money... that did help me get out of bed and go work out.

Now, if you have a work out partner, you can get this kind of external accounability for free... but for some of us, who have really hectic schedules or schedules that don't exactly mesh with those of our friends who work out too... a personal trainer can provide that extra push.

Yes, you're right... ultimately any diet or workout plan will fail unless you hold yourself accountable first... and some people might not need that external motivation... but others do.
stonyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:55 AM   #11
4JNA
macrumors 68000

dump out the soda and fill up the bottle with water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscriv View Post
...they don't sell you prepackaged food, but teach you how to make healthy food choices and how to make permanent changes to your eating habits so that you can maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life.

...The Slim 4 Life plan has taught me how to make healthy choices with fresh food I buy at my grocery or market and how to eat proper portions. I've only eaten out a few times in the past several months and haven't touched a soda since I started all of this in January.
THIS. super cool post, congrats MSCRIV!

again, calories in/out for the win. exercise just helps get rid of calories faster. feel the burn and all that.
Old May 6, 2013, 11:20 AM   #12
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

stony, i won't disagree with you because you make good points. i'm just speaking from my point of view. it's like people who want to quit smoking. you don't need a patch or gum or any system. i've seen lifetime, 2 packs a day smokers go cold turkey.

to the op just remember that if you choose to start with a personal trainer, you should have a goal of when you can do things on your own unless you plan to have a trainer for the rest of your life. in regards to diet plans, the same applies. they teach you how to manage you weight in many ways, but you have to execute. i had a friend that did lindora for a few months. she probably dropped 30 pounds with good eating and regular exercise. 8 months later, she put it all back on and is back to her old ways. just food for thought.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:06 PM   #13
stonyc
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to stonyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kram View Post
stony, i won't disagree with you because you make good points. i'm just speaking from my point of view. it's like people who want to quit smoking. you don't need a patch or gum or any system. i've seen lifetime, 2 packs a day smokers go cold turkey.
Interesting you point out smoking, because when I quit I went cold turkey.

I think it just depends on the person and the situation... I won't disagree that there people out there that can will themselves to do/not do certain things. With regards to quitting smoking, I'm certainly one of them.

Other things... sometimes it's nice to have a little extra push.
stonyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 01:28 PM   #14
Mr Kram
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyc View Post
Interesting you point out smoking, because when I quit I went cold turkey.

I think it just depends on the person and the situation... I won't disagree that there people out there that can will themselves to do/not do certain things. With regards to quitting smoking, I'm certainly one of them.

Other things... sometimes it's nice to have a little extra push.
i think we all have it in us. you just need the right motivation. if that means getting a personal trainer in the beginning, so be it. congrats on quitting!
Old May 6, 2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

As many have mentioned already, a Personal Trainer is a great way to help you get acquainted, put together a plan, and start executing. The only problem is that it can become expensive in a hurry.

The good news is that there are a wealth of Apps and technologies available that can help you navigate proper diet and exercise on your own while being confident that you're getting sound advice.

Here is what I have used to lose 40lbs and gain a lot of strength over the past year or so:

Loseit! is a free app that really helped me. You can enter your daily food intake and exercise, set goals, and track your progress.

Nike+ Fuelband ($150) tracks all of your daily movements and puts it into an easy-to-understand measurement to benchmark yourself against. You can see steps, calories, active time, and other measures as well. This really helped motivate me each and every day to achieve my goal and keep the streak alive. It also integrates with Loseit! for automatic tracking of your exercise.

TRX Suspension Training ($200) is great for beginners as you'll use your own body weight rather than free weights or machines. You can do every exercise available in any gym right in your own home at a fraction of the cost. It is a full-body workout and therefore extremely effective in short periods of time. The kit comes with extensive documentation so that you can learn how to do each exercise and provide you with workouts to get going.

TRX FORCE Super App ($65) is the next step in the TRX line (or you could start with it if you like). Some branches of the U.S. Military have adopted TRX Force as their method of choice to get new recruits combat-ready in 12 weeks. It will take you through several phases of workouts at varying degrees of difficulty. The name and branding can make it sound intimidating (bulking soldiers), but the reality is that the military is using this to make average joes into fit warriors. You will see results if you commit to the program as I have.

Find Me Gluten Free is a great free app to help you eat a low gluten/gluten free diet if you so choose. Finding the right thing to eat when not at home can be difficult, but this app makes it easy to see what restaurants have gluten free options, etc.

I also have gym membership, which is subsidized by my employer as part of a fitness benefit. While not required, I do believe it helps to have options (swim, cycle, run, machines, etc) and keep things fresh.

The mental commitment is much greater than any time or financial commitment you will make. Good luck!
Old May 6, 2013, 07:53 PM   #16
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Hi determined09, like others have posted, congrats on making the decision to get healthy. It's well worth it and will be one of the best decisions you've ever made.

I see that your location is Texas, but you don't say where. I live in the DFW area and I've lost over 75 pounds in the last 15 weeks following the Slim 4 Life plan. If you are not familiar with Slim 4 Life they have walk in centers that offer a weight loss program. Unlike Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig they don't sell you prepackaged food, but teach you how to make healthy food choices and how to make permanent changes to your eating habits so that you can maintain a healthy weight for the rest of your life. They do sell supplements (Metabolizers, Multi-Vitamins, Fish Oil, etc.) and snacks (Protein shakes, bars, etc.) that will help in the weight loss process, but you can do their plan without the supplements.

Like I said, I have lost over 75 pounds in the past 15 weeks following the full plan with supplements. My wife has lost over 30 pounds in that same time frame without taking the supplements. Let me clarify that, she doesn't take the Slim 4 Life supplements, we simply bought her a good Fish Oil and a good women's multi-vitamin through GNC. You mentioned loose skin in one of your posts. Fish oil (Omega 3's) greatly helps with skin care, specifically with weight loss as it promotes elasticity of the skin. This will help your skin tighten up as you do lose weight.

Here's a big thing, I've been able to accomplish all of this without exercise. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying exercise is bad, in fact, I'm looking to start exercising soon. However, I was looking for a way to lose weight and get healthy by focusing on lifestyle and diet changes mainly as I believe that these are the key areas where most people lack self control and motivation. The Slim 4 Life plan has taught me how to make healthy choices with fresh food I buy at my grocery or market and how to eat proper portions. I've only eaten out a few times in the past several months and haven't touched a soda since I started all of this in January. Going into the center a few times a week provides me with accountability and motivation. On top of that the staff is helpful in checking your food log and offering additional help when or if your weight loss stalls. I've certainly learned that a big part of being healthy is proper planning and preparation. My wife is such a support for our family in this area. She shops for the right foods and then preps the correct portions for the entire week. This makes cooking meals, grabbing a snack, or taking lunch to work so much easier.

I'm sure this sounds like a commercial for their plan, but I'm just telling you honestly what has worked for me. Check out my post count, I'm a long time member/poster here at MR, so this is not a spam post. I'd be happy to tell you more or answer any questions you might have. All the best with your journey toward better health. I hope you find something that works for you and that it is truly a lifestyle change.
Good job on the weight loss.

I live in the Houston Area.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #17
kapolani
macrumors regular

Can you easily afford it?

Often times people just need motivation.

Often times that motivation comes from working out with friends or working out with a trainer.

Basically what I'm saying is that some people need constant motivation and 'prodding.'

Personal trainers can certainly do that.

I have never used one, but have helped a few friends that wanted to lose weight and just needed motivation.
kapolani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:58 AM   #18
mscriv
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Good job on the weight loss.

I live in the Houston Area.
Bummer, I just double checked and they don't have any locations in Houston. So, I would suggest you try to find something similar that will teach you to adjust your food habits and learn portion control. Truly, better eating habits will make all the difference. Exercise is great, but it will be counterproductive if you are working hard in the gym only to keep eating high fat, high calorie, processed, and sugar loaded foods. My coaches at Slim 4 Life told me to focus on making the dietary changes first and then to slowly add exercise when I'm just about to my goal weight. This way you will actually see results from the exercise as you tone and work your body. We started a family plan at a fitness center last week and today I'm going for my second work out session (without a trainer). I'm just focusing on cardio as a starting place.

Don't feel overwhelmed, you can do this! Start making better food choices today. If there is any way I can help then please let me know.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:12 PM   #19
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Bummer, I just double checked and they don't have any locations in Houston. So, I would suggest you try to find something similar that will teach you to adjust your food habits and learn portion control. Truly, better eating habits will make all the difference. Exercise is great, but it will be counterproductive if you are working hard in the gym only to keep eating high fat, high calorie, processed, and sugar loaded foods. My coaches at Slim 4 Life told me to focus on making the dietary changes first and then to slowly add exercise when I'm just about to my goal weight. This way you will actually see results from the exercise as you tone and work your body. We started a family plan at a fitness center last week and today I'm going for my second work out session (without a trainer). I'm just focusing on cardio as a starting place.

Don't feel overwhelmed, you can do this! Start making better food choices today. If there is any way I can help then please let me know.
thanks so most for the encouragement
Old May 7, 2013, 10:37 PM   #20
Liquorpuki
macrumors 68020

I have a trainer too and agree w/ almost everything here

Cons: expensive, unnecessary if you're disciplined and know what you're doing
Pros: if they're good, they're a health knowledge warehouse. And most people lack discipline and have no clue what they're doing anyway

Even after working out for over a decade, I get form corrected all the time and key things like ideal muscle proportions I would have never known w/out a trainer. Same for specialized cutting and bulking diets. I see guys in the gym who are curling 100+ lbs but are using their back more than their biceps. Also guys with massive upper bodies who are too lazy to do squats so their legs have zero muscle. Also the fat girl on the treadmill who's on it for an hour going 3 mph. These people should've all gotten a trainer.

Some random thoughts:
- If all you want is to lose weight, diet will take care of 80% of it. Cut out anything that spikes insulin (sugars, high glycemic carbs) and institute a reasonable calorie deficit.
- If you want to lose weight, realize once you get down to a healthy BF%, body composition (amount of muscle vs fatty tissue) matters more than your actual weight. If you lose weight and most of it's muscle, you're just wasting your time.
- Mainstream nutritional info has been wrong for years. IE if a trainer tells you saturated fat is bad because it increases LDL cholesterol, he has no clue what he's talking about. I recommend reading a lot so you can understand what your body is trying to do when you feed it and workout. "Fat Chance" by Robert Lustig is a good book for understanding the nutrition side of things and why sugar makes you fat and screws up your health. Eventually it be good to get a working knowledge of hormones.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:48 AM   #21
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by obeygiant View Post

This.

I lift weights and do cardio 5-6 days a week and have been at it for about 6 years now. For a complete newb, a trainer can be a huge help. Like others have said though, changes won't happen over night. But from the sounds of it, judging by the shape you're in now, I'm willing to bet you could make some nice strides pretty quickly just by adjusting your diet a bit and becoming more active.

A trainer will be a huge help in designing a workout plan that fits YOU and your goals along with a diet plan. They'll help to make sure you're using proper form in your exercises, they'll help track your progress and keep you accountable, and they can help ease the nervousness people feel when they first go into the gym and start wandering around aimlessly by themselves.

I certainly recommend looking into getting a trainer...but don't do it unless you have made a decision to change your life and lifestyle and you plan on being active and sticking to a sensible diet for the long term. Far too many people work with a trainer for 3 months and quit because they don't drop 200 lbs and get a 6 pack in that short period of time. It is a loooong journey, you have to decide to commit to it.

I would also recommend checking out the forums at bodybuilding.com. Particularly the "Losing Fat" forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and a lot of helpful people there.

Good luck!
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:59 PM   #22
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapolani View Post
Can you easily afford it?

Often times people just need motivation.

Often times that motivation comes from working out with friends or working out with a trainer.

Basically what I'm saying is that some people need constant motivation and 'prodding.'

Personal trainers can certainly do that.

I have never used one, but have helped a few friends that wanted to lose weight and just needed motivation.
Yes,

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
This.

I lift weights and do cardio 5-6 days a week and have been at it for about 6 years now. For a complete newb, a trainer can be a huge help. Like others have said though, changes won't happen over night. But from the sounds of it, judging by the shape you're in now, I'm willing to bet you could make some nice strides pretty quickly just by adjusting your diet a bit and becoming more active.

A trainer will be a huge help in designing a workout plan that fits YOU and your goals along with a diet plan. They'll help to make sure you're using proper form in your exercises, they'll help track your progress and keep you accountable, and they can help ease the nervousness people feel when they first go into the gym and start wandering around aimlessly by themselves.

I certainly recommend looking into getting a trainer...but don't do it unless you have made a decision to change your life and lifestyle and you plan on being active and sticking to a sensible diet for the long term. Far too many people work with a trainer for 3 months and quit because they don't drop 200 lbs and get a 6 pack in that short period of time. It is a loooong journey, you have to decide to commit to it.

I would also recommend checking out the forums at bodybuilding.com. Particularly the "Losing Fat" forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and a lot of helpful people there.

Good luck!
Thanks for the tip about bodybuilding.com.
The proper form is the other reason why I want a personal trainer.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:40 AM   #23
sdilley14
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yes,

----------

Thanks for the tip about bodybuilding.com.
The proper form is the other reason why I want a personal trainer.
That is worth it alone. And it's not like you have to spend $1000 on it or something. You can usually sign up for like 5-10 sessions, just to learn form, learn how to use all of the machines, get a good weekly routine down, get a diet plan set up, etc., then you can spread your wings and fly on your own.
sdilley14 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:51 PM   #24
determined09
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
That is worth it alone. And it's not like you have to spend $1000 on it or something. You can usually sign up for like 5-10 sessions, just to learn form, learn how to use all of the machines, get a good weekly routine down, get a diet plan set up, etc., then you can spread your wings and fly on your own.

Okay. That sounds good.
Old May 12, 2013, 02:26 AM   #25
shinji
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
You might want to consider talking to a nutritionist to start with because right now, most of your weight loss is going to come from diet. Even small changes like drinking something other than high calorie soda will give you visible results.

Their training is in building a better diet for you, taking into account what you actually like to eat, suggesting things that are easy to cook, etc.

If you are ready to start working out, many good gyms give you a free session with a personal trainer when you sign up. The point of that, obviously, is to sell you more sessions, but you can get a taste for it, learn some of the machines, and see if it's something you want to pursue further.

Anyway, good luck to you.
shinji is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion