Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old May 5, 2013, 06:33 PM   #1
Jedi Master
macrumors regular

Will Dell stop serving the consumer?

Admin

Last edited by Jedi Master; Oct 2, 2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: Admin
Jedi Master is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 07:26 PM   #2
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

What???

I think it's dell's crappy product and customer service that is killing them. I got a dell laptop in 08 and kep having to send it back for repair for a year until they replaced it. They never could get the first one right.

The kid is still using the replacement, but it's because I have done all of the work on this one. Since 09 I have pretty much replaced everything but the cpu,lcd and memory. That includes the motherboard and every part of the housing but the battery cover.

Last edited by Toltepeceno; May 5, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
Toltepeceno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 09:07 PM   #3
tengtengvn
macrumors member

We switched from Latitude/Vostro to Lenovo Thinkpad because the horrible quality of the current gen Latitude. The top can easily be scratched. The keyboard is surrounded by orange accent line. How can they design the laptop that ugly?
tengtengvn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 09:26 PM   #4
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltepeceno View Post
What???
+1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tengtengvn View Post
We switched from Latitude/Vostro to Lenovo Thinkpad because the horrible quality of the current gen Latitude. The top can easily be scratched. The keyboard is surrounded by orange accent line. How can they design the laptop that ugly?
In the West, there isn't even a Latitude series anymore. Dell sells the Inspiron line now, and the last time I checked, they didn't have any orange accents. They're partially made out of aluminum, you know, and as far as the XPS series goes, look kinda like a MBPs for Windows people.

Last edited by Giuly; May 5, 2013 at 09:35 PM.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 09:38 PM   #5
tengtengvn
macrumors member

People in corp world still buy into that business laptop thing. Especially, the docking station gimmick. There are very few options to choose from.
tengtengvn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 10:12 PM   #6
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tengtengvn View Post
People in corp world still buy into that business laptop thing. Especially, the docking station gimmick. There are very few options to choose from.
I would love a retina macbook with a docking station or ethernet. Baring that, a retina mac with ethernet would be nice. Until then, I'm happy with my 17" MBP, but my next computer will probably be a Dell.

At work, that is.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Jedi Master
macrumors regular

Crappy products true but not the question

Admin

Last edited by Jedi Master; Oct 2, 2013 at 04:46 AM. Reason: Correction
Jedi Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 11:41 PM   #8
Macman45
macrumors G5

I can't see Dell going corporate only....look at the amount of Ultrasharp monitors and printers they sell to the public....It's a pretty big chunk of market share....Laptops and PC's also. I think they will continue to sell to the public. although I can't comment on CS as I've never bought anything from them.

Have been considering a couple of Ultrasharp 27"'s though.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Jedi Master
macrumors regular

%

Last edited by Jedi Master; Oct 2, 2013 at 04:43 AM. Reason: -
Jedi Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 05:16 AM   #10
displaced
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to displaced Send a message via MSN to displaced Send a message via Skype™ to displaced
In all honesty, I hope they stop selling to business too. They're shockingly bad, at least in the UK. So bad that I wonder if they've moved beyond incompetence and up to outright malevolence.

We have to disassemble newly-arrived PCs to make sure they've actually stuck to the spec. We had a batch of Optiplex workstations arrive with 2.5" laptop hard drives instead of the fast 3.5" desktop-grade HDs we'd ordered and paid for. The chassis are made of the type of flimsy speckled plastic that was last seen on 1980s VCRs. Best of all, we had 300 Latitude E6330 'premium' laptops that would shut down instantly if you wiggled a connected USB plug. The 'engineer' who came to investigate said that a design flaw meant that the USB socket would short-out against the frame and power to the whole thing would cut out. Yay.

Not to mention they'll happily sell a machine with 4GB+ of RAM and a 32-bit copy of Windows. Part of that is due to the ineptitude of our procurement people, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman45 View Post
I can't see Dell going corporate only....look at the amount of Ultrasharp monitors and printers they sell to the public....It's a pretty big chunk of market share....Laptops and PC's also. I think they will continue to sell to the public. although I can't comment on CS as I've never bought anything from them.
Well, businesses tend to buy the monitors and accessories also -- and lots of them. We've got 2 UltraSharps for every desk (got 4 on mine) and a ton of docking stations which will of course need to be replaced en masse when Dell arbitrarily change their dock connector again.

Oh, and I just remembered the 200 other Latitudes that were meant to have WWAN (3G) cards installed, but something didn't get connected when they were built, so they just threw in a ton of crappy USB dongles that inevitably got lost or broken.

Last edited by displaced; May 6, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
displaced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 06:24 PM   #11
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Master View Post
Well they lose money om every consumer product not purchased thru DFS.

The only consume r profit is made thru DFS, or financing the sell.

Dell will stop consumer sales, good for Apple.

Regards,
Jed
It has to do with the economy stinking really hard and Dell thinks there's money over there in business. Also the race to bottom of the barrel in PCs killed reliability, even in the business servers market. In fact most bottom feeding PC manufactures (HP, Dell , others) are hurting really badly right now. The razor thin margins are just not there anymore.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion