Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 6, 2013, 10:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Display Analysts See Retina iPad Mini Updates Coming in 3Q 2013 and 1Q 2014

In a bit of a confusing sequence of events, CNET reports on claims from NPD DisplaySearch analysts who see Apple having two Retina iPad mini devices in the pipeline, including an initial launch in the third quarter of this year followed by a second update in the first quarter of next year.
Quote:
"We see two refreshes coming. One in the second half of this year, then one in Q1 [first quarter] of 2014," analyst Richard Shim told CNET late Sunday night.

"The Q1 [2014] device will have a Retina display plus an updated processor," Shim added.
CNET's report had initially cited Shim as saying that the Retina display would not appear until the early 2014 model, but less than two hours later the report was revised to state that the 2013 model will also have a Retina display. The new quotes from Shim do not actually refute the original claim, but based on CNET's reporting it appears that additional information he provided does indicate that a Retina display will be included in the next iPad mini.

KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo last month reported that technical challenges related to production of a Retina iPad mini will likely see the device debut somewhat later than many have expected. While he declined to offer a specific prediction for the iPad mini launch, he did outline three scenarios showing launches in the September-November timeframe.

Rumors of Apple looking to accelerate its upgrade cycles have persisted for several years, and they did come to fruition late last year with the introduction of an updated iPad just seven and a half months after the previous model. That launch did, however, coincide with the debut of Apple's new Lightning connector, so it is unclear if the short cycle for the full-size iPad is indicative of a larger trend or if it was simply a one-time effort to adjust Apple's launch timing and roll out the new connector across all of its latest-generation mobile devices.

Article Link: Display Analysts See Retina iPad Mini Updates Coming in 3Q 2013 and 1Q 2014
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
racer1441
macrumors 68000

Can I get a job as an analyst? I can pull crap from my butt just as well as these idiots can.
racer1441 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Eatsleepdrivesc
macrumors member

Sweet! Ill get one!
Eatsleepdrivesc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:25 AM   #4
Corrode
macrumors 6502

Great, just when I thought I would FOR SURE buy the iPad Mini Retina when it came out, I will now have the tough decision of waiting for the revision after that. Ughhhh. #firstworldproblems
Old May 6, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5
tonyshaker
macrumors member

We Know

I Promise you we have heard this rumor before like 2000 times.
tonyshaker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
tann
macrumors 65816

I don't understand why they would put out a new retina mini before Christmas, then another updated one just after Christmas.

I could understand if they put out a new non-retina before Christmas, then another retina mini after Christmas.

The former just doesn't seem to make much sense? Not to me at least.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:31 AM   #7
Northgrove
macrumors 6502a

"Display analyst" huh? Sounds like a pretty niched job.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:34 AM   #8
koban4max
Banned

Too late, Apple. I already got one...should hurried it up.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

Yes, that makes total sense.
Intarweb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tann View Post
I don't understand why they would put out a new retina mini before Christmas, then another updated one just after Christmas.

I could understand if they put out a new non-retina before Christmas, then another retina mini after Christmas.

The former just doesn't seem to make much sense? Not to me at least.
Not to most of us. They will update it before XMas and that will be the big seller.

They learned their lesson by bringing out an update right after (the 4)...they got a lot of flak from users.

I highly doubt they do anything other then a yearly release now.
Ryth is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:37 AM   #11
iisdan
macrumors regular

Obviously V2 will have a retina display. I could have told you that the day the mini was released.

We are all analysts on here, we are here for leaks.
iisdan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:39 AM   #12
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

I don't even know what to say,..So I'll just say I want to be an analyst.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:39 AM   #13
ghsNick
macrumors 68000

I don't want another iPad 3 fiasco.
ghsNick is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:40 AM   #14
BJMRamage
macrumors 68000

I predict the next version of [product name here] will be faster, and more powerful and probably have retina. I think they will release if later this year and possibly an update afterward.
BJMRamage is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:41 AM   #15
Jayse
macrumors regular

OMG there's more of them!? First it was just 'analyst'. Now there are 'display analysts' too?
Old May 6, 2013, 10:41 AM   #16
onirocdarb
macrumors regular

I think we all knew the next mini will be retina, but I am wondering what resolution they will use
onirocdarb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:43 AM   #17
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Not to most of us. They will update it before XMas and that will be the big seller.

They learned their lesson by bringing out an update right after (the 4)...they got a lot of flak from users.

I highly doubt they do anything other then a yearly release now.
It still doesn't make sense to me that people got pissed because they accelerated their upgrade cycle a bit. They'll put out the best iPad Mini they can at that price point in the fall, and if they can put out a better one at the same price point in the first part of 2014 they'll do that too. There's no sense holding back tech just because Apple users expect their device to be the best Apple device on the market for a full year.
chrisbru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:43 AM   #18
bonaccij
macrumors newbie

Since when

has Apple ever updated anything just for a meager processor upgrade? I would find it very hard to believe that they would have 2 launches (like that anyway) that close to each other.
bonaccij is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:44 AM   #19
xmichaelp
macrumors 65816

*Insert generic comment about how you "stopped reading at analyst" even though you obviously read the whole thing and cared enough you respond*
xmichaelp is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:44 AM   #20
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

SO pretty much at the same time we had been expecting it for some time.

Either that, or the mini won't have Retina. Although, Retina would make an already great tablet even better, especially if the price stays the same.
Old May 6, 2013, 10:46 AM   #21
2bikes
macrumors 6502

There is a profession called `display analyst`??!? Really?
2bikes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Batavian
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer1441 View Post
Can I get a job as an analyst? I can pull crap from my butt just as well as these idiots can.
Amen to that!
Old May 6, 2013, 10:52 AM   #23
needfx
macrumors 68030

the new iPad Mini Pro sports a supersized 27" display pixelcount in a 7.9" device

cramming pixels was never crammier
needfx is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:52 AM   #24
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Yeesh...

They really need to eliminate that curviness from the back. It doesn't dig into your hand properly like the iPhone does.

The bevel on the front, however, is magical. I bet that Apple uses only the finest available diamonds to do that.

/s
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:54 AM   #25
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndoejohndoes View Post
I don't want another iPad 3 fiasco.
What do you mean? The fact that they released an "iPad 4" 6-ish months later? Don't worry, my iPad 3 still works... and I still love it. ;-)

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion