Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a bit of a confusing sequence of events, CNET reports on claims from NPD DisplaySearch analysts who see Apple having two Retina iPad mini devices in the pipeline, including an initial launch in the third quarter of this year followed by a second update in the first quarter of next year.
"We see two refreshes coming. One in the second half of this year, then one in Q1 [first quarter] of 2014," analyst Richard Shim told CNET late Sunday night.

"The Q1 [2014] device will have a Retina display plus an updated processor," Shim added.
CNET's report had initially cited Shim as saying that the Retina display would not appear until the early 2014 model, but less than two hours later the report was revised to state that the 2013 model will also have a Retina display. The new quotes from Shim do not actually refute the original claim, but based on CNET's reporting it appears that additional information he provided does indicate that a Retina display will be included in the next iPad mini.

ipad_mini_white_side-800x109.jpg
KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo last month reported that technical challenges related to production of a Retina iPad mini will likely see the device debut somewhat later than many have expected. While he declined to offer a specific prediction for the iPad mini launch, he did outline three scenarios showing launches in the September-November timeframe.

Rumors of Apple looking to accelerate its upgrade cycles have persisted for several years, and they did come to fruition late last year with the introduction of an updated iPad just seven and a half months after the previous model. That launch did, however, coincide with the debut of Apple's new Lightning connector, so it is unclear if the short cycle for the full-size iPad is indicative of a larger trend or if it was simply a one-time effort to adjust Apple's launch timing and roll out the new connector across all of its latest-generation mobile devices.

Article Link: Display Analysts See Retina iPad Mini Updates Coming in 3Q 2013 and 1Q 2014

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Can I get a job as an analyst? I can pull crap from my butt just as well as these idiots can.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Great, just when I thought I would FOR SURE buy the iPad Mini Retina when it came out, I will now have the tough decision of waiting for the revision after that. Ughhhh. #firstworldproblems

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I don't understand why they would put out a new retina mini before Christmas, then another updated one just after Christmas.

I could understand if they put out a new non-retina before Christmas, then another retina mini after Christmas.

The former just doesn't seem to make much sense? Not to me at least.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I don't understand why they would put out a new retina mini before Christmas, then another updated one just after Christmas.

I could understand if they put out a new non-retina before Christmas, then another retina mini after Christmas.

The former just doesn't seem to make much sense? Not to me at least.

Not to most of us. They will update it before XMas and that will be the big seller.

They learned their lesson by bringing out an update right after (the 4)...they got a lot of flak from users.

I highly doubt they do anything other then a yearly release now.

iisdan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Obviously V2 will have a retina display. I could have told you that the day the mini was released.

We are all analysts on here, we are here for leaks.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I predict the next version of [product name here] will be faster, and more powerful and probably have retina. I think they will release if later this year and possibly an update afterward.

onirocdarb

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2013
I think we all knew the next mini will be retina, but I am wondering what resolution they will use

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Not to most of us. They will update it before XMas and that will be the big seller.

They learned their lesson by bringing out an update right after (the 4)...they got a lot of flak from users.

I highly doubt they do anything other then a yearly release now.

It still doesn't make sense to me that people got pissed because they accelerated their upgrade cycle a bit. They'll put out the best iPad Mini they can at that price point in the fall, and if they can put out a better one at the same price point in the first part of 2014 they'll do that too. There's no sense holding back tech just because Apple users expect their device to be the best Apple device on the market for a full year.

bonaccij

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
Since when

has Apple ever updated anything just for a meager processor upgrade? I would find it very hard to believe that they would have 2 launches (like that anyway) that close to each other.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
*Insert generic comment about how you "stopped reading at analyst" even though you obviously read the whole thing and cared enough you respond*

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
SO pretty much at the same time we had been expecting it for some time.

Either that, or the mini won't have Retina. Although, Retina would make an already great tablet even better, especially if the price stays the same.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yeesh...

ipad_mini_white_side-800x109.jpg

They really need to eliminate that curviness from the back. It doesn't dig into your hand properly like the iPhone does.

The bevel on the front, however, is magical. I bet that Apple uses only the finest available diamonds to do that.

/s

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.