Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 6, 2013, 12:27 PM   #1
timehacker11
macrumors newbie

iPad Mini will NOT get a Retina display..

Why would Apple decide to cannibalize the regular sized "iPad with Retina display"? They wouldn't. Plus, the "with Retina display" model would loose it's purpose.

It's like giving the MBA a Retina display. Ain't gonna happen, it would cannibalize the sales of the MBPr 13".
timehacker11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:29 PM   #2
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

I'll take that bet.
Internaut is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 12:56 PM   #3
Patriot24
macrumors 68020

"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will." - Steve Jobs

This isn't going to end well for you.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:16 PM   #4
SR45
Banned

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...earch-reports/

http://www.slashgear.com/retina-ipad...2014-06280726/

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/07/...-june-or-july/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...h-analyst-says

Just another rumor but I will take this over your noob post any day of the week

Last edited by SR45; May 8, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
SR45 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 01:21 PM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Many have asked that exact question when they brought out certain devices/machines. Why bring an iPad and cannibalize MB Air sales? Why bring a 13" Air if you're going to try and still sell a 13 MBP? Somehow, they manage to make a change that is significant enough (matter of opinion) to ensure sales across the board. I believe the iPad mini will see retina and I don't think it'll affect the iPad line. People are looking for a certain form factor, retina or not, they'll buy whichever size suits them best.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 01:23 PM   #6
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Well lots here think it will.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/05/06/...3-and-1q-2014/

I don't really care either way, as I don't plan on buying a half way house any how.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:25 PM   #7
mm201
macrumors regular

The purpose of the big iPad has never been having the Retina screen, but simply being a bigger iPad. The only reason not to put Retina in the Mini is the cost of such a high pixel density screen in that size, and the battery life.

Both will eventually be worked out, and when they are, the Mini will go Retina. (It's not if, but when.) Cannibalization is a silly argument. It's like, "why make cars if they'll cannibalize our steam engine sales?" Better is better.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Based on what?

Retina will have no impact over buyer preference for either sizes. Neither do I see any evidence to suggest why they would not go retina for the mini.
Old May 6, 2013, 01:30 PM   #9
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm201 View Post
why make cars if they'll cannibalize our steam engine sales?" Better is better.
Well, the steam engine doesn't make much of an appearance these days. ****ing automobiles!
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:07 PM   #10
srsub3
macrumors 6502

they are two different things... to me full size iPad is a machine for home use... on the other part iPad mini is a globetrotter... so if the mini gets retina, it will not affect sales for that... only because it is cheaper it is selling strongly...
srsub3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:39 PM   #11
iamthekiller
Banned

Everybody should bookmark this thread, along with the assclown "iPad 5 in April" fail thread.
iamthekiller is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:41 PM   #12
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timehacker11 View Post
It's like giving the MBA a Retina display. Ain't gonna happen, it would cannibalize the sales of the MBPr 13".
That's like saying why give the 13" MBP Retina because it would cannibalize sales of the 15 rMBP.
Old May 6, 2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Big Dave
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot24 View Post
"If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will." - Steve Jobs

This isn't going to end well for you.
Wow. To me, this is more powerful than quoting the bible. Good job.
Big Dave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:47 PM   #14
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthekiller View Post
Everybody should bookmark this thread, along with the assclown "iPad 5 in April" fail thread.
LOL link to that thread here and save people the trouble.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:54 PM   #15
siurpeeman
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to siurpeeman
i don't agree with the op's reasoning. i (and everybody else) think the mini will get a retina display, but i'm not convinced it'll happen within the next update. margins on the mini are slim as it is. isn't it possible apple can't get the costs down enough to sell a retina mini?
Old May 6, 2013, 05:49 PM   #16
tazz3
macrumors regular

i would say the mini will get the Retina display some time in the future it's a given. if the iphone, ipod, ipad has the Retina display why would apple not give it to the mini,
tazz3 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:19 PM   #17
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

I wish we could bet in Bitcoins on MacRumors!
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Michael CM1
macrumors 601

I think Apple is more worried about selling tablets to people who might buy a Kindle Fire instead of worrying about iPad mini vs. iPad. Plus this argument goes along the same line of Sony won't sell 32" HDTVs because it would cannibalize 46" HDTV sales. Kinda falls apart.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:21 PM   #19
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsub3 View Post
they are two different things... to me full size iPad is a machine for home use... on the other part iPad mini is a globetrotter... so if the mini gets retina, it will not affect sales for that... only because it is cheaper it is selling strongly...

For home use? At home I use a computer 100 per cent of the time...
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 08:24 PM   #20
robertpetry
macrumors 6502

Well the whole rumor doesn't make much sense to me. Wait until late summer or fall to release an underpowered retina iPad Mini only to upgrade the processor in it in Q1? That makes no sense. What seems more likely to me is a spec bump, non retina iPad Mini in late May or June and a retina iPad Mini in October. The spec bump would be pretty quiet but coincide with an iPad 5. The real Mini 2 is just not going to be ready until fall and if they can cheaply get the iPad Mini up to an A6 that would be good for everyone.
robertpetry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:16 AM   #21
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

Oh dear.... and the very next day MR runs this news piece.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1579597
Old May 7, 2013, 11:30 AM   #22
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by timehacker11 View Post
Why would Apple decide to cannibalize the regular sized "iPad with Retina display"? They wouldn't. Plus, the "with Retina display" model would loose it's purpose.

You really don't know Apple that much. If they don't cannibalize it, somebody else will. Apple does not want the money to go to other devices that WILL have retina-display for the same size/price as iPad mini. It is not even an "if" question, it is a "when" question, it will happen. They encourage and will support the cannibalization of their higher end models, in the end, it will build up their ecosystem. They already admit that they want to allow iOS devices to cannibalize the Macs, they prefer more iPad/less Mac users than neither.

The more people that's on the Apple's closed ecosystem, the less chances they'll go elsewhere because it is difficult to transfer from one platform to another platform, especially spending hundreds or even thousands of dollars of money into iOS apps.
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 11:34 AM   #23
madsci954
macrumors 68000

Open mouth
Insert foot
madsci954 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 11:59 AM   #24
SMDBill
macrumors 6502

Because business is all about revenue, sales and profit margin. If they lose market share in the small tablet size to all the new displays (Nexus 7 seems most popular now, but Nook HD is a contender with its awesome display and Google Play now enabled), they'll have to do something to keep up spec-wise and use the Apple eco-system to differentiate. Falling behind in hardware purposely to protect another product line or segment of the same is poor business.

Companies want profit and sales wherever they can get then. To skip out on the form factor sales potential by going with retina and instead just staying the same is like giving up. Sure, sales are high now, but in your line of thinking why ever add more CPU power or memory/storage? That would also compete in the iPad4 range. If they don't keep up with current technology and surpass where they can, they lose.

There's a reason we don't all drive cars from 1974 and the reason is not because a company was afraid their innovation would harm sales of their other vehicles. Companies adapt to markets and demands. If one model or size sells far less than another, that's reason to reevaluate if you should even be selling it.
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:22 PM   #25
richardmu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
Oh dear.... and the very next day MR runs this news piece.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1579597
Got a real good feeling that it will happen within the next 6 months. Time To start saving!
richardmu is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad