Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old May 6, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Have you changed your mind about Benghazi?

I know when the attacks in Benghazi occurred most people on this forum seemed to think it was a non issue. With all the information that has been discussed and reported over the months following have you changed your mind about Benghazi?
tshrimp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:24 PM   #2
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
I know when the attacks in Benghazi occurred most people on this forum seemed to think it was a non issue. With all the information that has been discussed and reported over the months following have you changed your mind about Benghazi?
Yes, I have. When it happened, I thought the republicans were merely trying to gain a little political ammunition for the election, and apparently I was wrong. They are so hell bent on harming the president, that they are willing to blow this situation into something it isn't.

The evidence clearly shows that the administration, the CIA, the state department, the people on the ground, everyone, did everything they could. This was at most a situation where the administration prematurely ejacureported information without having confirmation. As a result, there were some incorrect statements, but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER did anyone in the administration hang anyone out to dry.

To suggest otherwise for political gain is despicable.
mcrain is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:26 PM   #3
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Haven't changed my mind, it's still a non issue that keeps getting put in the news.

P-Worm
P-Worm is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
With all the information that has been discussed and reported over the months following have you changed your mind about Benghazi?
No.

But then again, I don't watch FAUX News.

So I probably missed all the juicy stuff.

Feel free to source anything you think is pertinent.
citizenzen is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:10 PM   #5
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Worm View Post
Haven't changed my mind, it's still a non issue that keeps getting put in the news.

P-Worm
curious...how is it a non-issue? A sitting US ambassador was assassinated.
glocke12 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:14 PM   #6
rovex
macrumors 65816

I think the French and the English and to some degree us have brought this upon themselves.
rovex is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:19 PM   #7
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
That he was, but if 5 Marines died defending him would that be an issue?
I think not. People seem to care less about a grunt dying then a US official.
Pathetic GOP would use this to gain momentum for the election. Not a huge fan of Hillary but she handled herself well on the hot seat. To answer OPs question, its never been an issue with me, people tend to get killed in areas of war/civil unrest.
JohnLT13 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:27 PM   #8
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
... people tend to get killed in areas of war/civil unrest.
I've noticed that myself.

It's really odd isn't it?

citizenzen is online now   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:33 PM   #9
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
That he was, but if 5 Marines died defending him would that be an issue?
I think not. People seem to care less about a grunt dying then a US official.
Pathetic GOP would use this to gain momentum for the election. Not a huge fan of Hillary but she handled herself well on the hot seat. To answer OPs question, its never been an issue with me, people tend to get killed in areas of war/civil unrest.
difference is the Ambassador is there as a representative of the US. He represents our interests and is our voice in the region..

Marines volunteer to go into combat and get their ass blown off.
glocke12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 09:54 PM   #10
miloblithe
macrumors 68020

Quote:
difference is the Ambassador is there as a representative of the US. He represents our interests and is our voice in the region..

I would wager no marine volunteers to get their ass blown off. They volunteer to serve in dangerous conditions, aware of the risks that entails.

Ambassadors to dangerous places also volunteer to represent their country, aware of the risks that entails.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambassa...lled_in_office
miloblithe is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:36 PM   #11
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Diplomacy is a hell of a lot more dangerous job than anything the Military has to offer.

The military voluntarily goes in knowing that people could get killed, or that they themselves could get killed. They are trained to kill. Diplomats are trained to keep people from getting killed, including those in the military that are trained to kill.

I would rather trust one voice to save millions of lives than to send in a hundred thousand troops to kill and save lives in the process. That way, everyone goes home to their families.

It takes more than a GI and a gun to keep this country free, you know. That is why Ben Franklin, arguably our country's best diplomat ever, didn't fire a single bullet during our revolution and in the years following as a fledgling country.

BL.
bradl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:59 PM   #12
Scepticalscribe
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Diplomacy is a hell of a lot more dangerous job than anything the Military has to offer.

The military voluntarily goes in knowing that people could get killed, or that they themselves could get killed. They are trained to kill. Diplomats are trained to keep people from getting killed, including those in the military that are trained to kill.

I would rather trust one voice to save millions of lives than to send in a hundred thousand troops to kill and save lives in the process. That way, everyone goes home to their families.

It takes more than a GI and a gun to keep this country free, you know. That is why Ben Franklin, arguably our country's best diplomat ever, didn't fire a single bullet during our revolution and in the years following as a fledgling country.

BL.
Bravo. Well said.

Well, for what it is worth, to my mind, Benjamin Franklin is one of the most attractive characters ever produced by any society - especially a 'new world', struggling to build a new society, based on revolutionary and rather radical principles; he comes across as an engaging, erudite, witty, urbane, civilised, intellectually curious human being with a delightful prose style, and a lovely line in self-deprecation. What is there not to like?
Scepticalscribe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:29 PM   #13
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

I think its fair to say that the Ambassador had inadequate security for such a volatile region. However, its been very much blown out of proportion--and I think that's becoming obvious to more and more people which is further discrediting the Republican party.

The only people who consider it a major scandal at this point are Conservative talking heads and the usual right wingers who already think that President Obama is Satan on Earth.
barkomatic is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:35 PM   #14
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
As did the Ambassador...as long as you are going to make the crass comparison.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:50 PM   #15
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Is that what the Republicans are raising hell about, or is it something else? If it is something else, ask yourself why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I think its fair to say that the Ambassador had inadequate security for such a volatile region. However, its been very much blown out of proportion--and I think that's becoming obvious to more and more people which is further discrediting the Republican party.

The only people who consider it a major scandal at this point are Conservative talking heads and the usual right wingers who already think that President Obama is Satan on Earth.
Inadequate security? He wasn't at the embassy, but at a "semi-secret" location that later turned out to be a CIA location. I'm guessing you know something about how the CIA provides security without tipping their hand.

This was not a typical situation, in any sense of the word typical...
mcrain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 10:26 PM   #16
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Yes, I have. When it happened, I thought the republicans were merely trying to gain a little political ammunition for the election, and apparently I was wrong. They are so hell bent on harming the president, that they are willing to blow this situation into something it isn't.

The evidence clearly shows that the administration, the CIA, the state department, the people on the ground, everyone, did everything they could. This was at most a situation where the administration prematurely ejacureported information without having confirmation. As a result, there were some incorrect statements, but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER did anyone in the administration hang anyone out to dry.

Please provide links backing up your claim that the "the administration, the CIA, the state department, the people on the ground, everyone, did everything they could."
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:59 AM   #17
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post

On the contrary, the testimony coming from the whistleblowers contradicts your statements..

Why does the left insist on ignoring this ? Had this been the previous administration Bush/Cheney would have been crucified by you guys.
glocke12 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:56 AM   #18
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Quote:
On the contrary, the testimony coming from the whistleblowers contradicts your statements..

Why does the left insist on ignoring this ? Had this been the previous administration Bush/Cheney would have been crucified by you guys.
Because their messiah has no faults. The people saying this is a non-issue are the same people who blamed 9/11 on Bush. The irony.
haxrnick is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:18 AM   #19
P-Worm
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
Because their messiah has no faults. The people saying this is a non-issue are the same people who blamed 9/11 on Bush. The irony.
I never blamed 9/11 on Bush, but I do find it ironic that the people saying 9/11 WASN'T Bush's fault are the people saying Benghazzi is either Obama's fault or Hillary Clinton's fault. I think most people can recognize that mistakes happen and sometimes those mistakes lead to tragic outcomes. When these mistakes are exposed it's the duty of the government to determine what went wrong and how it can be prevented in the future (usually 100% prevention is not possible) and as far as I can tell, that is what is happening now.

All of the conservatives trying to paint this as "Watergate, but you know, like Super Watergate" have shown that this process is more political than practical.

P-Worm

Last edited by P-Worm; May 9, 2013 at 10:38 AM.
P-Worm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:34 AM   #20
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:

And the right would be defending it/ignoring it.

So same ****, different day pretty much. Only difference is today the right is calling for blood and the left trying to defend it.
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:35 AM   #21
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
What do you think??
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:48 AM   #22
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
What do you think??
I haven't changed my mind, but it has been further solidified.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:57 AM   #23
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Maybe because the consulate had a "super big secret" CIA base inside, and the RWA noise machine spews that out every damn time they talk about it. Think about what that does: a great big terrorist target is being painted on every US embassy and consulate around the world, which seems like an extremely foolish, even seditious, strategy for expressing your hatred for the president. Or maybe the right wing just wants to foment more anti-American violence to feed the war machine?
Old May 9, 2013, 10:59 AM   #24
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKofD3ATH View Post
Please provide links backing up your claim that the "the administration, the CIA, the state department, the people on the ground, everyone, did everything they could."
The testimony, and even the admissions of the people on the right, are that the security and efforts undertaken by the administration, military, state department, etc. were all that could be done.

There has been NO testimony that any efforts that could have been taken weren't taken.

Quote:

Actually, the whistleblower has been testifying about ambassador Rice's comments on the sunday news shows. She was on a news program, not under oath, conveying information (which may have been intentionally vague or off in light of the hysteria the region was undergoing over a video tape made by a right-wing religious extremist nutbag). The whistleblower is testifying that the CIA was aware that the tape was unrelated to the organized attacks in Benghazi. Ambassador Rice has testified already that she provided only information that was provided to her.

So, what's the big cover-up? As new information came in, it was released by the administration, so where's the cover-up?

If you read this: Link you will see that the whistleblower is only focused on the fact that the ambassador didn't mention a demonstration to the whistleblower, and the whistleblower never talked to Rice before the Sunday shows.

Ohhhh, big cover up!
mcrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:00 AM   #25
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
I haven't changed my mind, but it has been further solidified.
So is this an event where mistakes might of been made, operating procedures need to be updated, and can be learned from or is it an event to try to take political advantage of? This is not an acknowledgement of any mistakes in particular and it appears to me that those making the biggest deal out of this event are shooting for political advantage as in fire them, and hire my party, you know the responsible WAR party. If you are referencing the group who says they were ready to go defend the Consulate, the State Dept has said based on coverage of the region, they were needed where they were. I'm sure Rush has something contrary to say about that.

Last edited by Huntn; May 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues