Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 6, 2013, 04:43 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

PopCap to Release 'Plants vs. Zombies 2' in July

PopCap has shared few details about the sequel to its popular lane defense game Plants vs. Zombies after announcing the follow up in late March, but today the company offered up a more solid July release date along with a teaser trailer.

Though the trailer does not give any hints about the gameplay, it does poke fun at the lengthy amount of time between releases. The original Plants vs. Zombies game was released in 2009, with an iOS version available in 2010.

According to the video, PopCap will be officially calling the sequel Plants vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time. Though no specific platforms have been announced for the release, the popularity of the title on iOS suggests that a simultaneous iOS and PC debut is likely. Apple recently revealed that Plants vs. Zombies is the 12th top all time paid app for the iPhone.

Article Link: PopCap to Release 'Plants vs. Zombies 2' in July
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #2
komodrone
Banned

I didn't even play the first one.
komodrone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 04:46 PM   #3
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

"It's about time". Wait to plant plants or pay via in app purchase to skip the timer.
Bathplug is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 04:47 PM   #4
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

This game was mega sweet I cannot wait for the second one!

TouchMint.com is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Great... a Facebook link at the end of the teaser.

It's like companies don't even have websites of their own anymore.
Yvan256 is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 04:56 PM   #6
somethingelsefl
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
I didn't even play the first one.
Thanks for sharing. Then you must be in the minority...since out of 10 BILLION APPS, it was the 12th on the paid list.
somethingelsefl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 05:00 PM   #7
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by somethingelsefl View Post
Thanks for sharing. Then you must be in the minority...since out of 10 BILLION APPS, it was the 12th on the paid list.
but why? it was horrid..!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvan256 View Post
Great... a Facebook link at the end of the teaser.

It's like companies don't even have websites of their own anymore.
on recent tv ads too

they mostly give out their FB pages and when dumb people press like, other dumb people see it
needfx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 05:05 PM   #8
ikir
macrumors 6502a

If this sequel is half the fun of the first one it will be a great game already.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

This pisses me off because they try to speak on my behalf (as the gamers), yet they make it look like what I want is in fact the opposite of what I really want.

I'd much rather they updated and improved the original rather than making a sequel.

Look at Left 4 Dead 2. Some of friends have L4D1, some have L4D2, and it's a mess that you can't play together. It would've been a much better single game with updates.

Imagine instead of updating TF2 they instead made TF3, TF4 every year.

Making sequels is mostly an excuse to charge more money all over again.

Edit: I'm speaking in general. In fact, I couldn't care less about PvZ itself or its sequel lol.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 05:13 PM   #10
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

I just hope EA doesn't simcity Plants vs. Zombies 2 up.
Old May 6, 2013, 05:24 PM   #11
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
I just hope EA doesn't simcity Plants vs. Zombies 2 up.
I just hope it won't be IAP-centric. As much as I loved the first game and played it numerous times, I won't be doing this sequel if I can't just buy it for $4.99 or even $9.99, without penny-pinching IAP.
Old May 6, 2013, 06:24 PM   #12
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

The problem is see with this is that when PvZ2 comes out the orignal PvZ will be abandoned and there will be no more updates. I even seen old version of games disappear from the App Store. At least I got the original PvZ as a free app of the week.

Just saying at least with Angry Birds you don't have to purchase a new version and it is constantly updated.
tonyr6 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:27 PM   #13
seanybryan
macrumors newbie

Awesome! Plants vs Zombies was one of my first App Store purchases on my iPhone 3G. I still play it on a weekly basis on my iPad mini and iPhone 4. Definitely got my money's worth and can't wait for more zombies, plants, levels, and minigames. I can't wait for July!
seanybryan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #14
smoking monkey
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
This pisses me off because they try to speak on my behalf (as the gamers), yet they make it look like what I want is in fact the opposite of what I really want.
I'd much rather they updated and improved the original rather than making a sequel.
Look at Left 4 Dead 2. Some of friends have L4D1, some have L4D2, and it's a mess that you can't play together. It would've been a much better single game with updates.
Imagine instead of updating TF2 they instead made TF3, TF4 every year.
Making sequels is mostly an excuse to charge more money all over again.
Ummm... Yeah. Take a deep breath, relax and have a lie down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfx View Post
but why? it was horrid..!
Even accounting for individual tastes you simply can't call it horrid. Give the hyperbole a break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
The problem is see with this is that when PvZ2 comes out the orignal PvZ will be abandoned and there will be no more updates. I even seen old version of games disappear from the App Store. At least I got the original PvZ as a free app of the week.
It's been three years, dude. What do you want with your five buck purchase? A massage, perhaps a nice cup of coffee once a month?

-------------

Looking forward to it, but I hope that it doesn't come with IAPs. I see IAPs like gambling. It takes advantage of those with weak wills.
Old May 6, 2013, 07:54 PM   #15
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
I want to know when they update the app for the bigger screen on the iPhone 5/iPod touch 5th gen.
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 08:01 PM   #16
brownpaw
macrumors member

Syncing!

My biggest problem with the first PvZ was that there was no feature parity or save game syncing between the different consoles. I own the iPhone, iPad, Xbox, and PC versions of the game and it kills me that not only are they all different, but playing on one means nothing to the others.
brownpaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #17
Solomani
macrumors 68000

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

There's a zombie on your lawn
We don't want zombies on the lawn
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 10:23 PM   #18
ConCat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N1_0SUGlDQ

We don't want zombies on the lawn
That was worth watching. Nice.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:30 PM   #19
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownpaw View Post
My biggest problem with the first PvZ was that there was no feature parity or save game syncing between the different consoles. I own the iPhone, iPad, Xbox, and PC versions of the game and it kills me that not only are they all different, but playing on one means nothing to the others.
On iPod/iPhone/iPad/Mac... newer iOS games offer iCloud synching. That means you play a game on your iPhone, and iCloud does the rest by saving the game settings/scores/achievements across your other devices (e.g. you can continue the game on your iPad, Mac, etc).

This is a fairly new feature, and only recently took off in 2012 or so. Many of the top-notch iOS developers are offering this more and more on new titles, because iOS gamers are demanding it more.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:47 AM   #20
Battlefield Fan
Banned

It's now owned by EA. I'll pass...
Battlefield Fan is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 02:34 AM   #21
hestroy
macrumors member

Perfect game

I love this game.
hestroy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:02 AM   #22
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
You are actually complaining that you are not getting more free content for a game that is already massive and considered a gem, and you even got the game for free? Wow... People these days..
Old May 7, 2013, 05:12 AM   #23
brownpaw
macrumors member

Quote:
On iPod/iPhone/iPad/Mac... newer iOS games offer iCloud synching. That means you play a game on your iPhone, and iCloud does the rest by saving the game settings/scores/achievements across your other devices (e.g. you can continue the game on your iPad, Mac, etc).

This is a fairly new feature, and only recently took off in 2012 or so. Many of the top-notch iOS developers are offering this more and more on new titles, because iOS gamers are demanding it more.
I'm well aware of iCloud syncing, but it appears to be useless when the iPhone and iPad versions are different games entirely and not a single universal app.
brownpaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:19 AM   #24
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Quote:

It really didn't. iCloud syncing remains a very minority pasttime for devs, because it's completely broken.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:55 AM   #25
RobNYC
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyForApple View Post
I want to know when they update the app for the bigger screen on the iPhone 5/iPod touch 5th gen.
Admittedly I was annoyed they never updated the original to fit the new iPhone 5 screen.
RobNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion