Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old May 6, 2013, 05:30 PM   #1
fraggot
macrumors 6502

I finally dropped my iPad mini

Yes, I finally did. I knew it would happen sooner or later but not this soon.

I'm usually pretty careful when taking it places, I almost always keep it in my backpack when I go to work and what not. The one day I was in a hurry and packing my lunch to work, I guess I was carrying too many things while entering our office doors and dropped it on concrete.

THANKFULLY it just barely scratched and dented the aluminum on the top right, it chipped a small piece of the back though. If I didn't have a Smart Cover on it, it would have surely probably cracked the screen or damaged it worse.

I'm still not happy I dropped it but I'm sure we've all been there. Anyone else have any similar or worse horror stories?
fraggot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 06:29 PM   #2
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggot View Post

I'm usually pretty careful when taking it places, I almost always keep it in my backpack when I go to work and what not. The one day I was in a hurry and packing my lunch to work, I guess I was carrying too many things while entering our office doors and dropped it on concrete.

THANKFULLY it just barely scratched and dented the aluminum on the top right, it chipped a small piece of the back though. If I didn't have a Smart Cover on it, it would have surely probably cracked the screen or damaged it worse.

I'm still not happy I dropped it but I'm sure we've all been there. Anyone else have any similar or worse horror stories?
i think it's time to invest in a better case for your mini. but considering the torture that your mini received, your smart cover did well.
vmaniqui is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Do you have an applecare + warranty? Similar to what I just posted about my iPhone 5, I bought applecare + cause I have a 2 year old and I need a functional phone (in your case iPad mini) for 2 years. So to me it was a) enjoy the device as it is; thin and sleek and then just know that it'll be $50 if I do drop it... or b) buy a case that costs nearly that much and carry around a bulky case.

Maybe it's a *tad* different for an iPad mini vs. iPhone but I feel the same way about our iPad 3... I bought applecare + and only put it in a case on rare occasions... Not that $50 isn't a good amount of money, but when you figure the difference between buying a decently expensive case, I'd rather pay the $10-15 extra should something happen and I get to use it in its raw form than put it in a bulky case. That's just me though. Most may not feel the same.
Leonard1818 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 09:43 PM   #4
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

i've been thinking, why are we so careful with our devices? i mean we will use our iPhones for an average of 2 yrs, iPads probably 3 yrs. so if i was you, just take YOLO seriously, and use your iPad mini in a way that isn't ugly (hint: Grifin Survivor). its your choice. just my $.02
Old May 6, 2013, 10:29 PM   #5
pragmatous
macrumors 6502a

Lightbulb

That's why you buy apple care and get a case for it.

Quote:

----------

Apple care+ doesn't work if you don't have the broken device with you. Meaning if it's stolen you're SOL. I'd get a case that would hide your ipad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
Do you have an applecare + warranty? Similar to what I just posted about my iPhone 5, I bought applecare + cause I have a 2 year old and I need a functional phone (in your case iPad mini) for 2 years. So to me it was a) enjoy the device as it is; thin and sleek and then just know that it'll be $50 if I do drop it... or b) buy a case that costs nearly that much and carry around a bulky case.

Maybe it's a *tad* different for an iPad mini vs. iPhone but I feel the same way about our iPad 3... I bought applecare + and only put it in a case on rare occasions... Not that $50 isn't a good amount of money, but when you figure the difference between buying a decently expensive case, I'd rather pay the $10-15 extra should something happen and I get to use it in its raw form than put it in a bulky case. That's just me though. Most may not feel the same.
pragmatous is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:01 PM   #6
vmaniqui
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aPple nErd View Post
i've been thinking, why are we so careful with our devices? i mean we will use our iPhones for an average of 2 yrs, iPads probably 3 yrs. so if i was you, just take YOLO seriously, and use your iPad mini in a way that isn't ugly (hint: Grifin Survivor). its your choice. just my $.02
seriously. what if the OP is using a Griffin survivor or another case. i don't think we will see his post here. spending $400+ on a device and not being careful. which one is ugly - having a dented ipad mini or a mini in a case ????
vmaniqui is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Fanaticalism
macrumors 6502

Quote:

There are better third party warranties out there that cover accidental damage, including water damage with no deductible and unlimited claims.

I've used BBY for my phones and other portable devices and ST for my TV's. Hassle free every time and I keep my devices sleek and minimalistic.
Fanaticalism is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2013, 11:54 PM   #8
TyPod
macrumors 68000

I give your Smart Cover major props, definitely could have been much worse seeing as it fell on concrete!
Old May 7, 2013, 06:02 AM   #9
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Yes, this happened to me a month ago and scared me sh*tless. Fell from about a 4 foot counter. Not fun. Luckily, I had on a smart cover on the front and a Caudabe Mini Shell for the back. Neither the Caudabe nor the iPad mini itself were damaged. I will never ever go naked, as nice as that would be.
Amplelink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:46 AM   #10
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post
There are better third party warranties out there that cover accidental damage, including water damage with no deductible and unlimited claims.

I've used BBY for my phones and other portable devices and ST for my TV's. Hassle free every time and I keep my devices sleek and minimalistic.
I wonder what kind of refurbishing process the other warranties use. I have heard about SquareTrade (not sure what BBY stands for). I believe there probably are better ones but I'm just under-informed. To me, it was somewhat of a bonus that AC+ is backed by the manufacturer (Apple) and it covered anything but loss/theft (even water damage).

What instances have you used other warranties/insurances in and what can you say about the repair/replacement product?

I'm interested as I may not go with AC+ forever if there's something else better out there.

Thanks!
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:59 AM   #11
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPod View Post
I give your Smart Cover major props, definitely could have been much worse seeing as it fell on concrete!
I was half expecting to pick it up, flip the cover over and see a cracked screen. I would have been highly upset haha.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:53 AM   #12
Shadowbech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I wonder what kind of refurbishing process the other warranties use. I have heard about SquareTrade (not sure what BBY stands for)!
BBY is Best Buy
Old May 7, 2013, 10:20 AM   #13
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowbech View Post
BBY is Best Buy
Ah, I figured but didn't want to assume. My parents bought a warranty through them when they got their iPad 2. Haven't had to use it yet so no info really about it.
Old May 7, 2013, 11:21 AM   #14
Fanaticalism
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Ah, I figured but didn't want to assume. My parents bought a warranty through them when they got their iPad 2. Haven't had to use it yet so no info really about it.
I had my iPhone 4 replaced by BBY under the protection plan and their screen said Foxconn somewhere in Texas as the source location of my replacement unit. Got to keep my phone as it sill worked and 48hrs later I got an email and a phone call that my phone was ready.They even offered to reinstall a brand new Zagg free of charge as I had purchased one originally from them.
Fanaticalism is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:27 PM   #15
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Dropping an iPad is NOT a horror story.
ritmomundo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Leonard1818
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post
I had my iPhone 4 replaced by BBY under the protection plan and their screen said Foxconn somewhere in Texas as the source location of my replacement unit. Got to keep my phone as it sill worked and 48hrs later I got an email and a phone call that my phone was ready.They even offered to reinstall a brand new Zagg free of charge as I had purchased one originally from them.
wow! Now the question is: Does this mean that Best Buy is awesome or that your local Best Buy is awesome lol... I would imagine with the state they're in these days, Best Buy (or any brick-and-mortar electronic retail store) would be best to keep customers happy at ANY cost....
Old May 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #17
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

Lol I never dropped mine but hit it on my night stand a bit hard and dented a corner

----------

Quote:
BBY is Best Buy
BB is best buy, BBB is bed, bath and beyond... Lol
Hello... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:20 PM   #18
rovex
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Y aluminum ?
Bloody hell, that word makes me cringe.
rovex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:09 PM   #19
aPple nErd
macrumors 68000

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaniqui View Post
seriously. what if the OP is using a Griffin survivor or another case. i don't think we will see his post here. spending $400+ on a device and not being careful. which one is ugly - having a dented ipad mini or a mini in a case ????
it is my opinion dude.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:25 PM   #20
Shadowbech
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello... View Post
Lol I never dropped mine but hit it on my night stand a bit hard and dented a corner

----------

BB is best buy, BBB is bed, bath and beyond... Lol
And if you type BBY on google, you will get results with Best Buy
Old May 7, 2013, 07:30 PM   #21
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Dropping an iPad is NOT a horror story.
Someone can't take a joke
Old May 7, 2013, 07:51 PM   #22
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Someone can't take a joke
Where was the joke?
ritmomundo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:12 PM   #23
fraggot
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
Where was the joke?
Apparently rolling over your head
Old May 7, 2013, 08:41 PM   #24
Hello...
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And if you type BBY on google, you will get results with Best Buy
Yeah for stock, but most people use BB
Hello... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:08 PM   #25
Pinkstiletto66
macrumors 6502

I was thinking Buy Buy Baby. I know that is BBB but it did pop in my head.
Pinkstiletto66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
damaged, dented, dropped, ipad, scratched