Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
So I have a mac mini, purchased a domain from godaddy, now how do I host it on my OSX server? I have read through articles at osx411.com but still can not figure it out. At one point I was told to make the mini a DMZ on my router? I changed nameservers and everthing, which could be incorrect possibly. Any help?

jomobco

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Denver
So I have a mac mini, purchased a domain from godaddy, now how do I host it on my OSX server? I have read through articles at osx411.com but still can not figure it out. At one point I was told to make the mini a DMZ on my router? I changed nameservers and everthing, which could be incorrect possibly. Any help?

On your router forward ports 80 and 443 to your server. Give your server a static IP. Turn on websites on your server. Go to your domain. You should see a standard apple server website.

Edit: You are pointing your go daddy domain to your DNS address correct?

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
Trying to clarify. Disregard if it makes things worse.

1) Your web server has to be up and running. There has to be a website, ie something to show.
2) The computer has to be reachable from internet. Often this means that you have to open ports in your firewall / router. Standard port is as minimum 80. Often the router by default denies all external access into your local computer, that is until you open the ports. This is a good thing as the internet world is full bad boys wanting to take over your computer for their own dark usages.
3) Make sure you have a static IP adress (often costs extra from the internet supplier).
4) Now you can access the computer using your static IP adress, which might be spelled something like 192.10.10.1 (I made up a numer here).
5) You need to get someone hosting DNS to translate between your domain name ( mydomain.com or whatever) and the static IP adress ( 192.10.10.1 or whatever). I believe godaddy will do this for you, but you have to tell them the static IP adress.

// Gunnar

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.