Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old May 6, 2013, 09:14 PM   #1
JerryCards
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to JerryCards
Difference between iTunes Gift Card & App Store Gift Card (or iBook Gift Card)

I always get people ask me the question: What is the difference between iTunes gift card & App Store gift card, or where can I buy gift card for an App or iBook.

The simple answer is:

There is absolutely NO Difference between iTunes Gift Card & App Store gift card (or iBook gift card)

App Store and iBook Store are parts of iTunes Store. iTunes Gift cards can be used to buy music, TV shows, movies, in the same time, they can be used to buy Apps, in-app purchases, books, magazines and anything else in iTunes store. And, an App gift card (or iBook gift card) can be used to buy music, TV shows and movies, just like an iTunes gift card.

Once you redeem iTunes Gift Card or App Store gift card or iBook Gift card, they will all become your iTunes balance, you can spend them any way you want.

Here are high resolution scans of one iTunes gift card and one App store gift card (back and front):

iTunes Gift Card vs App Store Gift Card (Back with Code and Instruction)

iTunes Gift Card vs App Store Gift Card (Front)

Other than some small wordings, they two cards are almost identical.

So, App store gift card and iBook cards are simply renamed iTunes gift card. But, why Apple does this? My guess is they think they can sell more cards this way by giving people "more" choices. Other big players do the same trick. For example, amazon gift card has amazon kindle gift card, amazon electronics gift card and so on, but, they are all just amazon gift card and can be used to buy anything on amazon.

You got the idea, it is just a trick those big companies play. if you need to by an App or iBook and you do not want to link your credit card or paypal to your iTunes, you can always use an iTunes Gift Card, or an App card or iBook card, they are the same thing.

Last edited by JerryCards; May 6, 2013 at 09:24 PM.
JerryCards is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps