Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old May 7, 2013, 02:43 AM   #1
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

How do you tell which friend is stalking your phone on FindFriends ?

I've noticed my location icon is on all the time recently and Privacy>Location Services says FindFriends is using it in Geofence mode.

I'm presuming one of my friends has setup a ' Notify me when leaves/Arrives' reminder in FindFriends?

Thing is, there seems to be no way to tell who it is?

It would be nice to know who is accessing my location and why!
cRuNcHiE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:02 AM   #2
dictoresno
macrumors 68020

why would you use the app then to begin with?
Apple TV 3rd Generation, Apple AirPort Express 2nd Generation
dictoresno is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 04:01 AM   #3
Davejprince
macrumors regular

You can't do that, and I'm also wondering who uses that app for real.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:04 AM   #4
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dictoresno View Post
why would you use the app then to begin with?
Because it can be handy sometimes if you are waiting for a friend to arrive so you can check their progress without having to call them while driving.

Or if you lose them at a busy place like a festival where saying " i'm by the tree" doesn't help!
cRuNcHiE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 04:09 AM   #5
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Doesn't a friend or family member have to request your permission to use the app? I use it with my wife so we know where each other are. Not because we don't trust one another but because its handy if she is on her way home and not answering her phone. Its a useful app but when we set it up we had to invite each other and accept the invite.
Old May 7, 2013, 04:58 AM   #6
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you have to accept to share the location information with each other.

My issue is the only way to tell who is actually accessing your location info at any given time is by asking every one of your 'friends'

It might just be someone testing out the feature but seeing the location indication on the status bar all the time is annoying and also potentially a battery drainer.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:07 AM   #7
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRuNcHiE View Post
Yeah, you have to accept to share the location information with each other.

My issue is the only way to tell who is actually accessing your location info at any given time is by asking every one of your 'friends'

It might just be someone testing out the feature but seeing the location indication on the status bar all the time is annoying and also potentially a battery drainer.
I don't know the answer to that question sorry. I only use it with one person and wouldn't use it with friends personally.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:19 AM   #8
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816

When not needed, you can simply go into the app and select "hide from followers"

This basically turns off the ability of others to request your location. When you are ready for them to 'track' you again, simply turn the aforementioned setting back on.

To answer the OP's question, there is currently no way to know which follower is following your location.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:18 AM   #9
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davejprince View Post
You can't do that, and I'm also wondering who uses that app for real.
It came out better useful when my daughter had to drive 6 hours to college; I was able to make sure she safely arrived at her school without constantly nagging her.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:21 AM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Friends don't stalk friends.

That said, just turn the app off.
GoCubsGo is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:28 AM   #11
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

It is in the app settings under ME! You will be able to see who has signed the notify setting.
Old May 7, 2013, 08:29 AM   #12
Pinkstiletto66
macrumors 6502

What Jessica said.
Pinkstiletto66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 08:31 AM   #13
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Friends don't stalk friends.

That said, just turn the app off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkstiletto66 View Post
What Jessica said.
^^^^ Sorry, I know I'm dumb and all...but I just don't see the problem.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:02 AM   #14
Small White Car
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrink View Post
^^^^ Sorry, I know I'm dumb and all...but I just don't see the problem.
Macrumors is chock full of people who think that everyone else in the world should be exactly like them. The fact that others have different needs and requirements always frightens and confuses them.
Small White Car is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:06 AM   #15
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small White Car View Post
Macrumors is chock full of people who think that everyone else in the world should be exactly like them. The fact that others have different needs and requirements always frightens and confuses them.
It has nothing to do with my needs and requirements.

All OP has to do is shut the sucker off.

I am frequently frightened and confused, however.
Old May 7, 2013, 09:38 AM   #16
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Ok I've found which friend it is and it's because they were playing around with the new notify when leaves option.

Thing is they have now removed the notify but it is still showing Find friends is using my location!

If you're going to suggest something stupid like just turn it off then don't bother commenting. I use it and want it to work correctly .
Old May 7, 2013, 09:51 AM   #17
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRuNcHiE View Post
Ok I've found which friend it is and it's because they were playing around with the new notify when leaves option.

Thing is they have now removed the notify but it is still showing Find friends is using my location!

If you're going to suggest something stupid like just turn it off then don't bother commenting. I use it and want it to work correctly .
Shutting off an app that is being used by an alleged friend to allegedly stalk you is hardly a stupid resolution. If you think you have a friend who is stalking you then that person is not exactly a friend.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:00 AM   #18
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Shutting off an app that is being used by an alleged friend to allegedly stalk you is hardly a stupid resolution. If you think you have a friend who is stalking you then that person is not exactly a friend.
It seems to have gone now finally after a reboot.

I never said I was afraid or paranoid about it but it did highlight a flaw in the design as you cannot tell who is watching and when .

I wouldn't allow people to follow me who I wasn't totally fine with doing so but the issue was not being able to identify who was using the 'Notify when leaves feature ' . Shutting the entire app off is not a solution when its used many other reasons.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:25 PM   #19
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

This post started badly when OP used the word, STALKING. Funny but not useful to get an answer.

This is a simple matter of how the app should work. I don't use it, but to me once you sign on to it, you agreed to belong to that "circle of friends."

I would ask, is that an agreement to give up your privacy always?

Can I temporarily "turn it off" like OK I give my phone number to friends, but I can temporarily set my phone to SEND TO VOICEMAIL when I don't want to answer the phone.

To me, yes, the App should tell you who's following you, that's just fair, you give out your privacy, and followers identifying themselves is just reciprocal, and if the App doesn't do that, then I don't like the App.

But, is the person really stalking you or he just followed you last time when u all went to this dinner and forgot to turn it off and the thing is just running in the background?

Anywhoo, it goes both ways right, is nice to know where he is, but the other way is stalking, mmmhhhhh...
Old May 7, 2013, 01:12 PM   #20
cRuNcHiE
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
This post started badly when OP used the word, STALKING. Funny but not useful to get an answer.

This is a simple matter of how the app should work. I don't use it, but to me once you sign on to it, you agreed to belong to that "circle of friends."

I would ask, is that an agreement to give up your privacy always?

Can I temporarily "turn it off" like OK I give my phone number to friends, but I can temporarily set my phone to SEND TO VOICEMAIL when I don't want to answer the phone.

To me, yes, the App should tell you who's following you, that's just fair, you give out your privacy, and followers identifying themselves is just reciprocal, and if the App doesn't do that, then I don't like the App.

But, is the person really stalking you or he just followed you last time when u all went to this dinner and forgot to turn it off and the thing is just running in the background?

Anywhoo, it goes both ways right, is nice to know where he is, but the other way is stalking, mmmhhhhh...
I agree, perhaps the tin hat police did jump because I used the word stalking but potentially it could happen with a real stalker. I do not think I am being stalked but that is not the issue. Not knowing who is accessing my location is the issue.

The are two elements to the app. You can allow friends to 'Follow' you which basically means that at yours or their will they can LOG IN to the app and then see your location at that time.

This makes the location indicator show up but that goes when they close the app and my phone stops using the location.

At any time I can remove them from the Follow/friend list and I can't see them nor they me. Or I could choose Hide from all followers so no one can see me but I can see them .

The new element, is the 'Notify' part and this is where I had the issue. If a friend sets up a notify on me ( e.g Notify when leaves current location or arrives to X) This causes my phone to continuously have the location symbol appear and potentially it's draining my battery more waiting to tell them what I do.

I have no way to know which friend is doing this, why they are doing it , or a way to stop them except by blocking everyone. I'm not really bothered that they have one set up but I'd like control over my own battery!

For the tin hat people, if you haven't turned off 'traffic' on your iphone then apple is already tracking your every move.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
findfriends, geofence, iphone, stalker