Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

angelwings

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
I cant understand why my iPhone 5's memory keeps running out!

I have added all my apps, music, videos and pictures up and it comes to 7.5GB.

Jailbreak Tweaks cant be more than 250MB, I only have a few and the biggest one is the Glasklart Theme @ 51MB.

The other 90% are less than 1MB and the other 10% less than 5MB with about 20 Tweaks in total.

Even adding them up to 10GB, I should have around 3GB free on my 16GB iP5.

However, the phone constantly alerts me saying I am running out of memory with about 30MB free.

I have DELETED apps in the last few days without adding any other apps/music/videos/pictures/JB Tweaks etc however the memory continues to dwindle!

Anyone got any answers?

EDIT: In iTunes, it is showing 4.78GB worth of data in "Other".

What is this?

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3955/memg.png

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I keep seeing threads like this and wondering why Apple still even sells a 16GB iPhone.

It's just NOT ENOUGH anymore.

They really need to discontinue the 16GB and make 32GB and 64GB the only options.

As for your issue... Do you have Photostream on? That can use a couple of GB if you've taken a lot of photos, even after you've moved them to your computer.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I keep seeing threads like this and wondering why Apple still even sells a 16GB iPhone.

They really need to discontinue the 16GB and make 32GB and 64GB the only options.

As for your issue... Do you have Photostream on? That can use a couple of GB if you've taken a lot of photos, even after you've moved them to your computer.

This isn't just Apple's fault, everyone on here is so enamored with iTunes match, photostream, and "OMG the cloud is so great I don't need local storage!" that they forget how real life works and that, possibly, you may want pictures, videos and apps on there, not to mention music. Within the next couple years we should see the base shift to 32GB, but for now, go big or go home.

angelwings

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013

Nope, My PhotoStream has never been on.

And like I said, I should have like 3-5GB free so a 16GB iPhone is no problem for me.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
This "other" issue is driving me crazy too. I am jailbroken with just MyWi installed. My "other" is 13gb. 13gb!
I do not want to restore because it will update me to the latest iOS and therefore I lose my jailbreak! Oh apple:apple::mad:

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
Nope, My PhotoStream has never been on.

And like I said, I should have like 3-5GB free so a 16GB iPhone is no problem for me.

Well it is a problem since you don't have free space. That's why he was saying Apple should increase the base size.

angelwings

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2013
This "other" issue is driving me crazy too. I am jailbroken with just MyWi installed. My "other" is 13gb. 13gb!
I do not want to restore because it will update me to the latest iOS and therefore I lose my jailbreak! Oh apple:apple::mad:

This worked for me:

"Reset All Settings" via the iPhone itself.

I waited 10 mintes and the loading thing kept spinning.

So I held the Power Button and Home button for 10 secs to force it out of this.

Nothing changed on my phone but my "Other" went from 5GB to 2.5GB.

Big difference and will definitely keep me going for a while.

----------

Well it is a problem since you don't have free space. That's why he was saying Apple should increase the base size.

Not really as Im guessing the "other" will continue to increase so dosen't matter what size you have, eventually, it will fill it up.

Only if the storage starts hitting 128GB will it no be a problem!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.