Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just over a year ago, popular workout tracking app RunKeeper announced that it was working on support for the Pebble smart watch, which ultimately broke a number of records in raising over $10 million on Kickstarter. With Pebbles having started shipping earlier this year, RunKeeper today announced the availability of updated versions of its iOS and Android apps to provide Pebble integration.

runkeeper_pebble.jpg
Integration is relatively simple for the time being, with a paired Pebble automatically displaying elapsed time, distance, and pace when a RunKeeper activity is underway, although TechCrunch reports that the RunKeeper team is working on expanding functionality.
This version of RunKeeper for Pebble is just a start, [RunKeeper CEO Jason] Jacobs says, noting that during the development process they realized they could add in much more, like setting pace on the smart watch, setting distance targets and more. RunKeeper also worked closely with Pebble to get this particular integration developed, and says we'll see similar UI elements used as other fitness tracking apps come on board. Future work could go into helping RunKeeper differentiate its experience further as the development ecosystem for Pebble progresses.
For those who did not order Pebble through Kickstarter, the smart watch is available for pre-order with delivery scheduled for summer. RunKeeper is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: RunKeeper Updated With Pebble Smart Watch Support

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Can someone just confirm something for me. Is this literally just showing the runkeeper data on the watch? I.E is it only a convenience and no real extra functionality gained on your run other than not having to look at your iPhone screen?

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I'm sad I waited to preorder it a few months ago now and not backing it as have to wait a lot longer for the little pebble.

Hey I backed it in the first week. Still waiting. You'll have a lot less of a wait time!
Glad this app is out though. My Up allows me to track my workout afterwards, this will allow me to do it during. Nice!

dewser35

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2008
Arlington, TX
Can someone just confirm something for me. Is this literally just showing the runkeeper data on the watch? I.E is it only a convenience and no real extra functionality gained on your run other than not having to look at your iPhone screen?

If you took the time to actually read the post, right now that is all you can do. There are enhancements planned in the future. Obviously you don't run with a phone app going or you would realize what a huge PITA it is to try to see where you're at. Knowing pace, distance covered and time elapsed is a great start. Pebble development has been very deliberate for a reason. It's the same reason the iPhone had no app store in the first year. Do a few core things, do them well, don't do more unless you can still hit that high bar standard.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008

Yes. The advantage is that you don't have to risk flinging your iPhone across the pavement to check my RK stats while running, or have to stop and check - you just glance at the watch. Also for cycling, just stick your phone in your backpack.

8ate8

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2010
Central Jersey
Also, according to the update description, you can pause and resume your activity from the Pebble as well, which is huge. I hate having to retrieve my phone, open the app, and then pause the activity whenever I want to stop bike ride for a sip of water. And then you press resume, and it's counting your time while you repack your phone. Having the ability to do it from the watch will make it more convenient and allow more accurate results.

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
so you still need your iphone with you when you go running? Oh yes that watch is so useful.

jpmack

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
California
Also, according to the update description, you can pause and resume your activity from the Pebble as well, which is huge. I hate having to retrieve my phone, open the app, and then pause the activity whenever I want to stop bike ride for a sip of water. And then you press resume, and it's counting your time while you repack your phone. Having the ability to do it from the watch will make it more convenient and allow more accurate results.

Confirmed, the Select button will pause and resume RK. Down button lights the screen.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Could you please send me a link to the device you've developed?

Where has this stupid idea come from over the last few years that you can't criticise something unless you've done better yourself? I can't play football but I can recognise bad play, I can't do joinery but I can recognise bad workmanship, I can't direct a movie but I know when I'm watching a turkey. Get the idea?

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Where has this stupid idea come from over the last few years that you can't criticise something unless you've done better yourself? I can't play football but I can recognise bad play, I can't do joinery but I can recognise bad workmanship, I can't direct a movie but I know when I'm watching a turkey. Get the idea?

I think the sheer number of backers/amount of money the pebble raised on kickstarter kind of voids your argument. The pebble is a desirable product, numbers don't lie. The ability to see your data while running/cycling without holding your phone in your hand is in fact a convenience. And the ability to start/stop from the watch is a pretty big deal. Anyone who runs or cycles would likely agree. I get what you're trying to say here, but I am not recognizing what the "bad play" is.

Side note- There is so much hate for the smart watch. It's been a long time coming, and it's here now. It's only going to improve. Get used to it. If you don't like it, don't buy it. I am biased since I'm kind of a watch nut to begin with- but I don't understand everyone flaming pebble and anyone else who is rumored to be making a smart watch. I'll never buy a ferrari, but I don't hate ferrari for doing what they do. I'll never buy a Mac Pro, but I like apple computers. Just because a companies product isn't tailored to your individual needs it doesn't mean it's not useful to someone else.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
so you still need your iphone with you when you go running? Oh yes that watch is so useful.

Boy, what an apt screen name. Yes, you still need your phone with you. The one you would likely carry with you, anyway. The one that most people have within three feet of them anytime they're awake, and usually asleep also. The phone that has your email, SMS/iMessages, GPS, music, etc. on it.

The usefulness comes when you don't have to pull the phone out of your pocket to start and stop the workout. And when you can just put the phone in your backpack while riding and glance at the watch to see your distance, etc.

What a visionary you are... :rolleyes:

----------

Except in this case, where the critique was just ignorantly asinine...

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
Yes it is. (I'm just assuming you weren't being sarcastic because only a blind person wouldn't see the usefulness of this)
how is it usefull that i have to, while running around, carry a big smartphone in my pocket? Have you ever ran with an iphone or any other phone around? It's annoying and uncomfortable.

Boy, what an apt screen name. Yes, you still need your phone with you. The one you would likely carry with you, anyway. The one that most people have within three feet of them anytime they're awake, and usually asleep also. The phone that has your email, SMS/iMessages, GPS, music, etc. on it.

The usefulness comes when you don't have to pull the phone out of your pocket to start and stop the workout. And when you can just put the phone in your backpack while riding and glance at the watch to see your distance, etc.

What a visionary you are... :rolleyes:

----------

Except in this case, where the critique was just ignorantly asinine...

Oh yes because verytime im running i constantly need to see my messages, emails, facebook notifications etc...

Yet another reason why a smartwatch is a total fail. All it does is that it cancels the HORRIBLE move with your hand to your pocket and back out again. And thats about it. Some visionary product.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
how is it usefull that i have to, while running around, carry a big smartphone in my pocket? Have you ever ran with an iphone or any other phone around? It's annoying and uncomfortable.

Plenty useful. Many people ride/run with their phone. Just because you find it uncomfortable, doesn't mean everybody, or even most, people will as well. I don't have a use for this function myself, but I can clearly see how lots of people will find it useful.

NOV

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2004
The Netherlands
I come from Nike Sportwatch which has all functionality built in the watch so no need to carry a phone with you. Nevertheless I'm quite unhappy with it, the Gps reception is problematic and it's badly designed with some hard plastic wrist band that contains an usb interface to connect to your mac. It's absolutely not suited to carry around all day.

I hope Apple gets it right when/if they release their watch.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
I come from Nike Sportwatch which has all functionality built in the watch so no need to carry a phone with you. Nevertheless I'm quite unhappy with it, the Gps reception is problematic and it's badly designed with some hard plastic wrist band that contains an usb interface to connect to your mac. It's absolutely not suited to carry around all day.

I hope Apple gets it right when/if they release their watch.

The pebble comes with a plastic band. I swapped it out to a link band and its much more comfortable. It takes a standard 22mm band, so you can swap it with almost any style band you like.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yet another reason why a smartwatch is a total fail. All it does is that it cancels the HORRIBLE move with your hand to your pocket and back out again. And thats about it. Some visionary product.
And that's all I need it for, that's why I spent £90 on my Kickstarter Pebble. If getting a phone out of your pocket isn't a big thing for you - congrats. The only times I've ever dropped my phone and the one time it was almost stolen from me was when I was "just checking". Now I can "just check" from my watch and leave my iPhone buried in a pocket or in my bag.
I find it most useful for hiking+rafting. I keep my iPhone sealed in a waterproof bag and handle the time/notification check from my Pebble.

It's an amazing little device.

I've noticed that and I totally agree. Of course anyone can criticise anything, it adds more weight if you've/your company has accomplished more but all criticism counts.

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003

i get that you can't do much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.