Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 7, 2013, 09:23 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Rovio Introduces 'Accounts' for Cross-Device Syncing

Following last week's introduction of Angry Birds Friends for iOS, Rovio yesterday announced a new "Rovio Account" feature that will allow users to synchronize game progress across devices.
Quote:
Some of you may have noticed a new feature in your Rovio games called Rovio Account. Our fans have been asking for a way to play their game on different phones or tablets without losing their progress when changing the device. This is exactly what Rovio Account lets you do!
While a number of iOS games have taken advantage of Apple's iCloud/Game Center syncing to help users play on multiple devices, Rovio has deployed its own solution in order to support the wide range of platforms on which its games are available.

Rovio notes that the new Account feature is currently available only in The Croods on a worldwide basis and in the original Angry Birds in Finland and Poland, but that expansion to new apps and countries as well as additional features will come over time. Additional details are available in Rovio's FAQ.

Article Link: Rovio Introduces 'Accounts' for Cross-Device Syncing
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:31 AM   #2
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

Is there a reason that developers do not use iCloud to sync game saves across our iOS devices ?

Serious question since I'm no developer and know absolutely nothing of what implementing these sort of cloud saves requires !

I would have thought its a simple implementation since is part of iOS.

Thanks in advance, been curious for a very long time
irfaanfaki is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:33 AM   #3
needfx
macrumors 68000

so how many gigabytes on a cloud? are they daisy-chainable?
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by irfaanfaki View Post
Is there a reason that developers do not use iCloud to sync game saves across our iOS devices ?

Serious question since I'm no developer and know absolutely nothing of what implementing these sort of cloud saves requires !

Yes. Money. They can sell your data if you use their lame service, whereas Apple doesn't give them a thing. Also, maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't imagine needing to pick up my game of Angry Birds on an Android phone that I started on an iOS one.
Kaibelf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:41 AM   #5
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Yes, core data has major issues syncing.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/41...loud-just-work
ghostface147 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:43 AM   #6
michaywood
macrumors newbie

about dang time!
michaywood is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7
M-O
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I played Swordigo start to finish alternating between iPhone & iPad. iCloud syncing worked beautifully. not sure why other developers have problems with it...
M-O is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 09:58 AM   #8
irfaanfaki
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaibelf View Post
Yes. Money. They can sell your data if you use their lame service, whereas Apple doesn't give them a thing. Also, maybe I'm in the minority, but I can't imagine needing to pick up my game of Angry Birds on an Android phone that I started on an iOS one.
Lol thanks for the reply ! iCant imagine picking up and Android phone!!!!! 😄

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Wow thanks that pretty much answered all questions
irfaanfaki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:25 AM   #9
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I know a few people at work that use an Android phone yet have an iPad. A lot of our management jumped on BB10, as well.

So there is a use case. Maybe not for you and I, though. If I need to use it, I will create an account using a trash gmail account for this purpose.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:28 AM   #10
Madmic23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don't think you have to worry about them selling your data. Do you really care if someone knows how horrible / awesome you are at Angry Birds?

The biggest reason is cross platform sync. You might have an iPhone and an Android tablet, or an Android phone and an iPad. It would be nice to have your game progress follow you along. If you have the game on your Mac or PC, again, the data would be in sync. These are things you can't do with Apple's iCloud syncing.

If an app is iOS only, then yes, iCloud sync is the way to go. If the app is on multiple platforms, you need another method like this one.
Madmic23 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:44 AM   #11
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmic23 View Post
I don't think you have to worry about them selling your data. Do you really care if someone knows how horrible / awesome you are at Angry Birds?

The biggest reason is cross platform sync. You might have an iPhone and an Android tablet, or an Android phone and an iPad. It would be nice to have your game progress follow you along. If you have the game on your Mac or PC, again, the data would be in sync. These are things you can't do with Apple's iCloud syncing.

If an app is iOS only, then yes, iCloud sync is the way to go. If the app is on multiple platforms, you need another method like this one.
You know it's not about the scores at their games. What they will sell is your name, email address, and demographic data so that you can get spammed by their "select" partners who want to sell you junk.
Kaibelf is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 10:44 AM   #12
Ventilatedbrain
macrumors regular

This is the future !!!! Cross platform synching when companies don't play nice
Ventilatedbrain is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 11:03 AM   #13
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
I hope that they get banned from the iStore for doing this.

Rovio is trying to kill the lock-in that makes the Apple echosystem so great!
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 11:08 AM   #14
Elaka
macrumors newbie

I hope it isn't the same as the Croods...

With the Croods syncing, if you do not have 3g or wifi connected, you cannot play, as it needs to sync. If they make it so Angry Birds needs wifi to sync/play, I'm going to be an Angry Mom because my kid plays Angry Birds (sans wifi) in the car on the way to school.
Elaka is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 11:08 AM   #15
jroadley
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jroadley
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

Really? Their games are available on all platforms so this allows people who play their games on different platforms to be in sync?

I can't see how this is a bad thing?
jroadley is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 11:54 AM   #16
iFitzgerald
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post

Err...if you have your game on an iPhone and on an iPad and want to continue the game between those two devices, how is this a bad thing?
iFitzgerald is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 12:03 PM   #17
Icaras
macrumors 601

Oh come on, just add iCloud support.
Old May 7, 2013, 12:29 PM   #18
Madmic23
macrumors 6502

Quote:
You know it's not about the scores at their games. What they will sell is your name, email address, and demographic data so that you can get spammed by their "select" partners who want to sell you junk.
So don't give them any personal data. Use your alternate junk mail email address, and give them personal information saying you're a 150 year Vulcan or something. What are they going to sell you then, a new warp drive?
Madmic23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 01:11 PM   #19
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Most games would not require Core Data for saving game settings and progress, that is overkill by a long shot. You would use the Key Value Coding method in iCloud. I use it for my App Store games and it works well, it does not have the issues that Core Data syncing does.

However, I would really like to see multiuser support in iOS, with fast user switching (including multiple Game Center accounts), that would be an improvement.
Old May 7, 2013, 01:50 PM   #20
JoeyCloverfield
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmic23 View Post

If only they could do something like integrate both.
JoeyCloverfield is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:22 PM   #21
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Doesn't carry over if someone moves to android etc.

Personally it annoys me when most companies do this because they don't put the same stuff in Game Center for those of us with no intention of switching platforms. So you end up with high scores and maybe some achievements in GC but if you want to multiplayer etc you have to do their system.

If they are equal no matter what I as the user choose to use then fine.

Also regarding multiplayer with only iCloud/GC you can't play a against someone in another OS. That is one part of the system that makes me wish Apple would come with some kind of SDK for Game Center in
Android etc versions.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:30 PM   #22
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I'm not a developer (yet), but couldn't you set up your own server to host everything but core-data with iCloud, then using some metadata from the iCloud sync, have it create/fetch/host data on your own server, eliminating core data on iCloud?
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Apple fanboy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-O View Post
I played Swordigo start to finish alternating between iPhone & iPad. iCloud syncing worked beautifully. not sure why other developers have problems with it...
I loved Swordigo. Wish they would extend it or make another.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:24 PM   #24
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000

Years too late, Rovio...
ritmomundo is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion