Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Just picked up a "2006 Mac Pro".

The person I bought it from (Craigslist) said it's a 2006 Model: #A1186 (I'll try to find the serial tonight after a movie date with the wife.) He said it boots up but, there is question mark with a folder that comes up.

I opened the side and pulled out the memory cards. Looks like two banks of 512mg (1gig per?) and 2 1G banks. Total 4Gs(?).

I've never had or opened up a Mac Pro so, I couldn't (even if I could) see what possible CPUs it has. Is there anyway, minus booting up to tell what kind it is? It doesn't have a hard drive installed (missing the hd glides(?) in the first two spots.) and I won't get access to mess with it until tomorrow night.

I go the logicboard number and google states it supports all the ranges of CPU that EveryMac has. (Just noticed 2008 possibly - http://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/?search_keywords=A1186)

Any help will be appreciated. :)

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
If you can find a serial number, you can google mac serial decoder and there are websites that can tell you more about the system. As for the booting to a file folder with a question mark, it either means that there is no OS installed or that there is an issue with the HD.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Hopefully you received the distribution optical disks with it, and can boot up with that to confirm the status of the machine, and find out what is going on with the hard disk that causes the no-OS condition (the question mark on startup). It may need a new disk ... or it may simply need to have the disk formatted and the OS reinstalled (there IS a disk in one of the trays??).

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
[...] As for the booting to a file folder with a question mark, it either means that there is no OS installed or that there is an issue with the HD.

The prohibit symbol doesn't say that there is no OS installed/found ? So, there is two symbols for the same problem ?
It's the symbol I get from time to time on my G5, and just force to boot on the hard drive with alt.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I called the guy and got the serial number.

This is the Mac Pro: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-2.66-specs.html

I noted in the OP that it didn't come with a hard drive. That's why it was getting that screen (I hope.)

My luck, the logic board will be bad. haha

According to Apple, the max hard drive size is 750G, is that true? I think I have a 1T drive that I can try. Just wondering ahead of time.

Thanks all.

EDIT: I only received the tower and power cord.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
[...]According to Apple, the max hard drive size is 750G, is that true? I think I have a 1T drive that I can try. Just wondering ahead of time. [...]

There is no real limit from what I remember. It already uses new partition table format which doesn't have a reachable limit for the moment.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
There is no real limit from what I remember. It already uses new partition table format which doesn't have a reachable limit for the moment.

Very cool. I will definitely try out my 1T drive. I'll add a 320G drive I'll install as the main OS.

Any good exploded/tear down PDFs for the Mac Pro? I need to learn it. :)

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
The prohibit symbol doesn't say that there is no OS installed/found ? So, there is two symbols for the same problem ?
It's the symbol I get from time to time on my G5, and just force to boot on the hard drive with alt.

I have seen it when I didn't have an OS installed and tried to boot and I have seen it when my HD failed. It's just a file folder icon with a question mark on it.

----------

I called the guy and got the serial number.

This is the Mac Pro: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-2.66-specs.html

I noted in the OP that it didn't come with a hard drive. That's why it was getting that screen (I hope.)

My luck, the logic board will be bad. haha

According to Apple, the max hard drive size is 750G, is that true? I think I have a 1T drive that I can try. Just wondering ahead of time.

Thanks all.

EDIT: I only received the tower and power cord.

That machine will still be a fast beast. The dual quad core processors will help with video encoding etc. I would try the 1T HD and suspect it will work.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
That machine will still be a fast beast. The dual quad core processors will help with video encoding etc. I would try the 1T HD and suspect it will work.

If it's a 2006 model, it'll have dual cores. The quads weren't available until 2007.

Hey mwhities. Welcome to the Mac Pro owners' club.

My best advice would be to upgrade in the following order:

1. Replace the primary OS hard drive with an SSD. You don't need a big one. 128GB would be plenty. You can use conventional hard drives for storage of media etc. The boot up time and general "snapiness" of the machine will improve significantly.

2. Add more RAM. 8 Gig would give you plenty to play with. Most people seem to buy from OWC (http://www.macsales.com/) - I've bought RAM from them several times, and apart from one faulty stick, which they replaced promptly, I've had no issues.

3. Replace the dual core processors for quad cores. Most people seem to opt for a pair of Intel Quad Core Xeon x5355 2.6Ghz (I did too). They usually provide the best price to power ratio. They're reasonably easy to fit providing you purchase one essential tool (a particular type of long-handled hexacore wrench) and there are some great video guides on youtube. You can purchase these processors used on eBay for between about $50-70 each.

One more thing: It's not clear what graphics card you're running, but I'd also upgrade it if it's a really old model. You could buy the Apple upgrade kit, or if you're willing to lose the boot screen (the monitor shows a black screen until the login screen) and have a later version of Snow Leopard and/or Lion, some PC cards work 'out of the box'. Personally mine has a Sapphire 5770HD (PC version) in it.

Do all this and you'll have a machine which will compete well even with the current generation of Macs.

Last edited:

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi

I noticed a few sites offering 1, 2, 3, and 4T drives for MacPros.

I figured I'd load SL on it and see how it works. If it runs pretty well, I might see about adding several couple terabytes and use it as a sever of some sort. I need to see if I can find a SLS.

Off to the movies with the wifie!

Last edited:

applegeek897

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2011
If you look under the PCI-E cards slots on the outside of the tower it will show the specs the computer came with.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
If you look under the PCI-E cards slots on the outside of the tower it will show the specs the computer came with.

I'll check it but, I couldn't stand it anymore and tomorrow is a rest day. (I get to sleep in until 6AM! :))

I added a 320G drive and I'm currently installing Lion on it. I forgot to setup my external to install SL. So I figured Lion for now.

I'll post up SSs once I finish it up.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
I'm on it now. It's running great! Need to get a KB and mouse now. This broken Dell KB sucks...

Added SSs.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.18.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.18.40 AM.png
    113.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.21.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.21.56 AM.png
    83.8 KB · Views: 127
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.22.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.22.12 AM.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 760
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.22.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.22.28 AM.png
    86.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.22.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-08 at 12.22.38 AM.png
    56 KB · Views: 98

Baunkjaer

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Copenhagen, Denmark
What I would do:
1. More memory
2. SSD
3. Replace that old HD 3870 with a decent card.

Have fun, and welcome here. Hope you will enjoy your Mac Pro as much as we do.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
Congrats on your Mac Pro!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac Pro Owners!

Thank you. It was kinda scary to get into it. I still need to figure out how to open everything up. I'd like to do a good cleaning job inside and out.

Thank you, I've always wanted one. I love the sleek and clean design.

What I would do:
1. More memory
2. SSD
3. Replace that old HD 3870 with a decent card.

Have fun, and welcome here. Hope you will enjoy your Mac Pro as much as we do.

As budget allows, I'll try to get more memory. Expensive little buggers. Definitely going to get a SSD for it. I just threw this 320 in to test. I won a dollar off a friend. He bet that it wouldn't boot with an internal drive. :) I think the video card, for now, is fine. I don't do graphics/videos (well, I edit my small little eating videos with iMovie.. if that counts, still earning how to do that on my Macbook.) What card would you recommend? After reading what I just posted. Or do you think this card will suffice? I have no plans dropping cash on any "bigger" photo/video editing software or games really.

I think I just might enjoy it. I definitely enjoyed working on it last night.

Congrats on purchase.
What will you use it for?

23 Cinema HD @2560x1600? Little weird. Native is 1920x1200.
Seems like similar driver bug as with 7950s.

Thank you. i got a helluva deal on it. I couldn't pass it up. Just wish it'd run ML (I use Messages for everything.) but, it's fine. I have Lion installed right now but, I may put Snow Leopard on it.

I'm going to use it as the "community" system between myself and my 5yo. He really loves my Macbook but, I am always taking it with me on side jobs. This will be the "base" station if you will. Plus my niece and nephew come over often and they love Apple almost as much as I do.

My buddy that owes me the dollar stated that last night as well. He linked me to the Manuel and I see it stated there. I just know that whatever resolution it is, I LOVE IT! ;)

EDIT: Are there any sites that you all can recommend for parts and etc? I'm missing the hd trays 1 - 2. Seems as though the person that had it before removed them and didn't take the time to put them back. Call me anal/OCD but, I'd like to have the 1 - 2 on my trays. :) Any other sites you all can recommend for anything would be great.

Last edited:

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
As budget allows, I'll try to get more memory. Expensive little buggers. Definitely going to get a SSD for it. I just threw this 320 in to test. I won a dollar off a friend. He bet that it wouldn't boot with an internal drive. :) I think the video card, for now, is fine. I don't do graphics/videos (well, I edit my small little eating videos with iMovie.. if that counts, still earning how to do that on my Macbook.) What card would you recommend?

EDIT: Are there any sites that you all can recommend for parts and etc? I'm missing the hd trays 1 - 2. Seems as though the person that had it before removed them and didn't take the time to put them back. Call me anal/OCD but, I'd like to have the 1 - 2 on my trays. :) Any other sites you all can recommend for anything would be great.

mwhities - I wrote a fairly long post earlier in the thread covering one or two of these issues. Just in case... I think you may have missed it because you posted at about the same time as I did, and probably didn't go back up.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
2. Add more RAM. 8 Gig would give you plenty to play with. Most people seem to buy from OWC (http://www.macsales.com/) - I've bought RAM from them several times, and apart from one faulty stick, which they replaced promptly, I've had no issues.

Another good place for RAM is Crucial. They've got a handy "Memory Advisor" tool right on the home page. Enjoy the new-to-you Mac Pro!

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Nothing like a good old Mac Pro. I'm editing 5K footage from my Red Epic on my 5 year old Mac Pro. I have to go down to 1/4 or 1/8 res, but still it's pretty impressive.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
If it's a 2006 model, it'll have dual cores. The quads weren't available until 2007.

Hey mwhities. Welcome to the Mac Pro owners' club.

My best advice would be to upgrade in the following order:

1. Replace the primary OS hard drive with an SSD. You don't need a big one. 128GB would be plenty. You can use conventional hard drives for storage of media etc. The boot up time and general "snapiness" of the machine will improve significantly.

3. Replace the dual core processors for quad cores. Most people seem to opt for a pair of Intel Quad Core Xeon x5355 2.6Ghz (I did too). They usually provide the best price to power ratio. They're reasonably easy to fit providing you purchase one essential tool (a particular type of long-handled hexacore wrench) and there are some great video guides on youtube. You can purchase these processors used on eBay for between about $50-70 each.

One more thing: It's not clear what graphics card you're running, but I'd also upgrade it if it's a really old model. You could buy the Apple upgrade kit, or if you're willing to lose the boot screen (the monitor shows a black screen until the login screen) and have a later version of Snow Leopard and/or Lion, some PC cards work 'out of the box'. Personally mine has a Sapphire 5770HD (PC version) in it.

Do all this and you'll have a machine which will compete well even with the current generation of Macs.

Thank you. Great to be here, I've always loved the way Mac Pro's looked, just could never afford one.

I'm definitely going to get a SSD drive, I can't live without one now after putting one in my Macbook. (I may actually get a 256G SSD and add it to my Macbook and add my current 128G SSD to the Mac Pro.)

I've bought all my RAM and other hardware from MacSales. I haven't had an issue yet. I see the prices, it might be awhile before I try to load up. 32Gs sounds fun.

I read up on swapping out CPUs but, I thought it was for the 08/09 or so. Yesterday, trying to find info out on this Mac Pro, I noticed that the logic board appeared to fit the other duals and the quads. I was going to eventually look into it but, I may look into it faster now. :)

I'll most likely hold out on the video card for awhile. As I noted in a reply earlier, I don't really do anything graphic intensive. My lil 23" ACD looked great while I was running it last night. I'm fine with that, of course, I'll test it out more tonight with videos, youtube, and other video means.

That's awesome. I think this would be the fastest system I've owned after updates (maybe even now! haha)

Thanks for the post and I apologize for missing it all this time.

----------

Another good place for RAM is Crucial. They've got a handy "Memory Advisor" tool right on the home page. Enjoy the new-to-you Mac Pro!

I use them for all my PC systems I work on. Never had an issue with them either.

I am (or will) more tonight. I can't wait to get home and test more. Thanks.

Nothing like a good old Mac Pro. I'm editing 5K footage from my Red Epic on my 5 year old Mac Pro. I have to go down to 1/4 or 1/8 res, but still it's pretty impressive.

Inexpensive Mac Pro too! Not a video editor so, you lost me. :) I will try to utilize it as much as I can.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
OWC has on major issue: price. $419 for 16GB in 4GB sticks.
You can have that for $160-180 on eBay, with standard flat heatsinks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.