Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noahmateen1234

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
What do you guys think about buying a 3rd party charger to use when I bring my laptop to the library or wherever (college student)? Anyone have any experience with them?

This is the one I was looking at.
http://www.amazon.com/JIONNEWTECH-R...UTF8&colid=7U904K6RY77D&coliid=I2PHSM1F99MNRS

The reason being that I want a 2nd, is because at my house I have an external monitor, keyboard,mouse, laptop stand and all the cords are nicely organized and hidden and it'd be a paint to constantly have to take my charger.

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I looked at the reviews of some of the replacement charger models. A lot of them appear to fail. It might be better just to get the real thing.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
How much does a genuine Apple adapter cost? If it's like $20 more, I'd say just buy the real thing. If it's $50 more i'd take my chances with the aftermarket one.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
I would get one just because am curious. But seems like new item so no long term review am afraid.

I kinda don't like Apple's cables, they have a rubbery feel. I believe the rubber makes it more sweat resistant but I don't like it anyways. If the new plug comes with plastic-like cable I'd want to see how it holds up.

+1 for the item, they disclose is -0.5v and -0.1 amp differential vs original. My engineering degree says it doesn't matter but is good that they told you so.

Anywhoo, ur $, your risk.

stchman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I've seen genuine Apple MBA chargers on ebay for like $50. I bought one a while back for my 2012 MBA as a spare and got it NIB for $46.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I've heard nothing but bad things about 3rd party magsafe chargers, ranging from best case where the charger just doesn't work, to the worst case where the adapter brick melted, the computer end heated to the point of melting the older plastic macbooks, up to frying the whole machine and almost starting a house fire.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I've heard nothing but bad things about 3rd party magsafe chargers, ranging from best case where the charger just doesn't work, to the worst case where the adapter brick melted, the computer end heated to the point of melting the older plastic macbooks, up to frying the whole machine and almost starting a house fire.

It's kind of ridiculous to say the best thing you've ever heard is that they don't work. I doubt this is true, but if it is, there are 5 reviews for the product listed and none of them are negative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.