Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

View Poll Results: Which phone is better?
iPhone 4S 23 20.18%
iPhone 5 93 81.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1
Paddle1
macrumors 65816

iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5

Which features of iOS 6 are excluded from iPhones older than iPhone 5?
Paddle1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:37 PM   #2
WeegieMac

The only iOS 6 feature missing from the 4S is the ability to take photos while recording a video, which I believe is down to the hardware and not iOS itself.

Other than that, it's like for like.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
The only iOS 6 feature missing from the 4S is the ability to take photos while recording a video, which I believe is down to the hardware and not iOS itself.

Other than that, it's like for like.
I think you're right. Only problem is that Apple causes the limits because I think the hardware can handle it.
GoCubsGo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Paddle1
macrumors 65816

Why would they prevent it from taking pictures while recording? Just to make it seem worse?
Paddle1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:41 PM   #5
paulbennett95
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle1 View Post
Why would they prevent it from taking pictures while recording? Just to make it seem worse?
Either that, or the new A6 has a better image processing chip with features the 4S doesn't.
paulbennett95 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 05:52 PM   #6
LSUtigers03
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Yeah to make it seem worse when compared to the new phone.
LSUtigers03 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Paddle1
macrumors 65816

Technically, all pictures are taken when "recording" it's just real time, they probably could have added it in if they wanted to.
Paddle1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2013, 06:35 PM   #8
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Technically, all pictures are taken when "recording" it's just real time, they probably could have added it in if they wanted to.
Its such a small pointless, useless feature (its low res when you take a snapshot within video) that i cant't imagine any point in capping it artificially. I only used it once to try. Never seen a point for it since.

Something in the camera module or the dsp hardware has got to be the limiting factor.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:38 PM   #9
zeeshanaayan
macrumors newbie

Iphone 5

Iphone 5 is much better than 4
zeeshanaayan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 05:35 AM   #10
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeshanaayan View Post
Iphone 5 is much better than 4
It is faster and better all around, technically, but not from a user perspective.

If on a GSM carrier with 4G/HSPA+, the 4S has been capable of low latency 14mbps. Which is broadband speed, and more than fast enough for today's mobile applications and media.

Its dual core processor and gpu is not stressed by today's apps.

It has a similar 8mp camera.

Etc.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:44 AM   #11
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

The iPhone 5 is the newest model so therefore is better. It can do everything the 4S can do and a little more. That wasn't the hardest question to answer lol.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:12 AM   #12
maflynn

The only thing I see with my iPhone 5 is that its longer. Yeah it has a faster processor but I'm not a games player so I really have not noticed a difference.
Old May 8, 2013, 08:24 AM   #13
maxosx
macrumors 68020

I enjoyed my 4S better than my current iPhone 5.

I bought the 5 thinking that perhaps the slightly larger length would be an improvement. While its not bad, it's far from what I know Apples capable of.

What's worse is the rather bland phone they're recycling as the 5S with few so called "upgrades".

Oh well... it's been a long wait, but there's always next year.

At some point the competition may force Apple to catch up.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 08:47 AM   #14
CEmajr
macrumors 68040

In addition to bring better in almost every way, the 5 has much better battery life over the 4S.
CEmajr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 09:47 AM   #15
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
The iPhone 5 is the newest model so therefore is better. It can do everything the 4S can do and a little more. That wasn't the hardest question to answer lol.
It was also not the question asked.

----------

Software wise they are near identical the difference being the picture during video. This is why I didn't upgrade.

I'll get a 5S if there is a slew of software features that aren't included on the 4S with its release.

It takes more then a different screen size and LTE to make me want to upgrade. I know it has more then that going on but processors and ram don't benefit me enough to worry about.

I've been a satisfied 4S owner because of this.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:47 AM   #16
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
It was also not the question asked.
It rather depends which question we decide to answer does it not? Did I not answer one of the questions?

The Thread title question with attached poll that asks: 'Which phone is better?' and gives two options, the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5.

OR

The question contained within the body of the opening post that seems unrelated to the chosen title of the thread strangely.

I answered the thread title question and participated towards the poll. I may answer the other question at a later date
Old May 8, 2013, 10:30 AM   #17
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

If your carrier supports 4G LTE, the iPhone 5 is your logical choice. Why would you want to limit yourself to 3G on the 4S? (Or HSPA+ if you have a GSM carrier)
Old May 8, 2013, 10:43 AM   #18
hexonxonx
Banned

I chose to skip the 5 and used an upgrade to get a 4S back in January. I got it unlocked two weeks later and moved to T-Mobile where I get incredible data speeds, usually 6Mbps to 10. On AT&T and Verizon, I got average of 0.00 with dropped calls on both. The 4S is an amazing phone in every way even after 1.5 years.

LTE is still hit and miss. My boss at work rarely gets it here in Denver.
hexonxonx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 10:46 AM   #19
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Real-Deal82 View Post
It rather depends which question we decide to answer does it not? Did I not answer one of the questions?

The Thread title question with attached poll that asks: 'Which phone is better?' and gives two options, the iPhone 4S or the iPhone 5.

OR

The question contained within the body of the opening post that seems unrelated to the chosen title of the thread strangely.

I answered the thread title question and participated towards the poll. I may answer the other question at a later date
That maybe my fault then if this is a poll. I'm on my iPhone in tapatalk so all I see is iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5 as the title then the question in the body of the OP.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:53 AM   #20
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post

What's worse is the rather bland phone they're recycling as the 5S with few so called "upgrades".

Oh well... it's been a long wait, but there's always next year.

At some point the competition may force Apple to catch up.
The 5S hasn't been released yet--so no one knows for sure what upgrades it will have.
barkomatic is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 11:15 AM   #21
Troneas
macrumors 65816

aesthetically and structure wise, i prefer the iPhone 4/4S design.

but there is no question the iphone 5 is more technically advanced.
Troneas is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 11:25 AM   #22
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
That maybe my fault then if this is a poll. I'm on my iPhone in tapatalk so all I see is iPhone 4S vs iPhone 5 as the title then the question in the body of the OP.
You're right it's not clear when using Tapatalk. I'm writing this now using the app but wrote my earlier response using a PC.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:54 PM   #23
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
The 5S hasn't been released yet--so no one knows for sure what upgrades it will have.
Of course.

My point is simply that from my perspective the iPhone OS is already complete with lots of good features, so there's nothing of consequence that will distinguish it from the iPhone 5.

This of course, is personal opinion. But considering all the rumors posted from the various manufacturers, there's nothing that Apple could ad other than a modern sized display, that would interest me.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:05 AM   #24
pilot1226
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxosx View Post
Of course.

My point is simply that from my perspective the iPhone OS is already complete with lots of good features, so there's nothing of consequence that will distinguish it from the iPhone 5.

This of course, is personal opinion. But considering all the rumors posted from the various manufacturers, there's nothing that Apple could ad other than a modern sized display, that would interest me.
Except for the fact that the iPhone 5 has LTE support. I wouldn't want to be buying into a 2 year contract and limiting myself to 3G until mid 2015. Especially considering how the rollout of US LTE has been going the last year or two.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:38 AM   #25
Abazigal
macrumors 68030

The question would make more sense back last year when the iphone5 was announced, and you were a 4s user 1 year into his 2-year contract and contemplating whether to recontract or not.

Features wise, you get pretty much the same features on your 4s vs the 5, though the iphone5 does sport more ram, faster processor, LTE, a longer screen and better front-facing camera.

Myself, that wasn't enough to tempt me to pay to upgrade. Waiting to see what the 5s will offer.
Abazigal is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone