Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_display-250x334.jpg
According to a new report from Japanese newspaper Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun [Google Translation] (via AppleInsider) Sharp, one of Apple's primary display partners, will begin manufacturing LCD panels for the iPhone 5S beginning in June at its Kameyama Plant No. 1 in Japan.

The site notes that Apple also sent orders to both Japan Display and LG Display, with mass production already under way, which confirms a report last month from The Wall Street Journal that suggested iPhone 5S production would begin in the second quarter.

Earlier this year it was believed that production of the iPhone 5S would ramp up in March to facilitate a summer release, but Apple has faced production challenges as detailed by reliable KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo in April.

According to Kuo, the work on the fingerprint sensor that is rumored to be included with the iPhone 5S has caused delays, resulting in a later-than-expected launch date.

While Kuo did not offer a specific fall release date for the iPhone 5S, he did outline three different scenarios involving a launch between September and November. Apple CEO Tim Cook also hinted at an autumn release for the iPhone 5S during Apple's second quarter financial results call, stating that the company has a number of surprises coming during the fall and beyond.

Apple's iPhone 5S is rumored to have the same design as the current iPhone 5 with a number of improvements including the aforementioned fingerprint sensor and a better camera.

Article Link: Sharp Slated to Begin iPhone 5S Display Production in June

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Apple CEO Tim Cook also hinted at an autumn release for the iPhone 5S during Apple's second quarter financial results call, stating that the company has a number of surprises coming during the fall and beyond.

Yes! 5s is the biggest surprise ever! Totally unexpected !

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
A source tells me the screen size is shrinking to 3.7" to accommodate the fingerprint sensor, and a larger home button. Citing Apple's desire to keep the phone comfortable in the hands of teens and small women.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
Great to hear Made by Sharp in Japan, as I hate LG screens - always have that piss yellow colouring issues (aka colour temp problem), whereas the iPhone 5 displays is simply amazing - and a viewing angle of almost 90 degrees due to its IPS panel. I wonder if they will still be using the in-cell technology?

rtomyj

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2012
A source tells me the screen size is shrinking to 3.7" to accommodate the fingerprint sensor, and a larger home button. Citing Apple's desire to keep the phone comfortable in the hands of teens and small women.
Yet I only see woman use big phones like the Note. You know, cause they have purses.

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011

A source is telling me that your source is getting its source from a source that sources news from an outsourced news source, at least that's what my source is sourcing its source on.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Wow, an updated camera and fingerprint sensor. Apple is really reaching for the future (yawn).

I really don't know what people like you are looking for.

S2 -> S3 = bigger screen, LTE. People freak out and get all happy about how innovative Samsung is.
4S -> 5 = bigger screen, LTE. People complain it's more of the same and Apple is slagging behind.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
What? It's not going to let me wave my hand over it like an idiot to make it do an extremely limited range of things... :rolleyes:

No, you will be the idiot replacing your iPhone 5 with the same phone with some gimmicky additions.

----------

I really don't know what people like you are looking for.

S2 -> S3 = bigger screen, LTE. People freak out and get all happy about how innovative Samsung is.
4S -> 5 = bigger screen, LTE. People complain it's more of the same and Apple is slagging behind.

There were 2 years difference between the S2 and the iPhone 5. People complained because Apple was way behind in introducing LTE.

spyguy10709

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
One Infinite Loop, Cupertino CA

A source tells me that's ridiculous and would never happen, Citing your lack of ANY track record.

----------

There were 2 years difference between the S2 and the iPhone 5. People complained because Apple was way behind in introducing LTE.

There were 5 months in between the US launch of the S3 and the iPhone 5. Nice try.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

Is that the best you got? Yawn. Unoriginal troll is unoriginal.

2/10

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.