Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stueee123

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2011
Hey, just wanted to share my experience when I tried to install windows 8 through bootcamp 5, but it thought that the iso was 32-bit (it included both the 32 and 64 bit).

Solution is pretty simple:
1. open up bootcamp and ONLY select the first 2 options, to download the support software and make a bootable disc or usb drive using the windows 8 iso you have.
2. once that is complete, you'll have a disc or usb drive called WININSTALL. nice.
3. open up Disk Utility, and in the partition section under your internal hard drive/ssd, select the partition section.
4. change it to 2 partitions, and resize accordingly. name the 2nd one BOOTCAMP, and set its format to ExFAT
5. restart with the WININSTALL media inserted, holding down the alt key to bring up boot options.
6. select Wininstall, and follow instructions, making sure to select the partition called Bootcamp when choosing where to install it (for which you'll need to click advanced options, then "format" to fix).
7. DONE!

took me awhile to figure out it was so easy to do manually, this'll probably work for other bootcamp issues too. Good luck

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Didn't work for me...

But I read that if you moved the file from the Downloads folder to the Documents folder, it worked.

After resisting to the temptation to try this useless attempt... IT WORKED ! Their algorithm is completely stupid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.