Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2012
I can get my hand on one for just around USD 50 in mint condition.

Owner said he rarely use it. I read somewhere that Nano gen 1 was suppose to have to best sound quality so i would like to try. Or i can also swap it at apple replacement if it appear to heat up.

Anybody here still own one and not afraid of the battey problem???

Wreckie

macrumors regular
May 9, 2011
I still have few which I got from local auctions. One almost mint condition, needs to have back replaced to look mint. I'm keeping that one, others are going to replacement. Indeed best iPod ever made imho. Also has Wolfson DAC, which is really high quality one. It is rated as 3rd best sounding iPod so far, leading by 5th and 4th generation iPod classics.

DavidMarks

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2013
I've got a nano 2nd gen (similar but aluminium and brigther screen), and a 5th gen nano, the former in mint condition. And I have to say, the old nano kicks the 5th one's ass when it comes to battery life. Of course it has less features. I like the 5th for the full album art, cover flow, genius, voiceover (good for the car) and overall better screen. But I just love the 2nd nano's design, and mine especially rocks since it's the black 8gb version, and most in the time were 2 or 4 gigs. It lasts over a week in regular use while the other rarely goes past 2 days.

I have a tiny piece of velcro glued to the back of each iPod, so i can easily attach it to my car. When I get home, I dock it and keep listening on the stereo. Me likey! :cool:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I liked the first gen Nano because of the accessories that came out for it. There was a case that fit like a glove, by Belkin, as I remember, and a radio attachment that acted somewhat like a case. It had some of the best accessories of all of the iPods IMO. I still have it. I thought about getting it swapped under the recall, but I like it so much, and already have a newer one so I figured I'd keep it. I'll have to charge it up and see if it still works. It's been awhile... It had everything going for it, size, style, accessories, function. A solid hit. Too bad about the battery.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
The 1st Gen Nano was a classic piece of design. Mine was in absolute mint condition, as I even left the original cellophane on it under the silicone cover I added. I did swap it under the recall, and although I'm happy with the brand new 6th Gen Nano that Apple sent as a replacement, I doubt very much whether the new one will ever be considered a design classic.
I try and keep my house fairly minimalistic, otherwise it would have been very easy to hoard every Apple product I've ever owned over the last 20 years. Having said that, I have still got my mint, fully-functioning 2nd Gen iPod (the first with a touch wheel and dock connector) - I think that's a class act too, although the hard disk is definitely living on borrowed time.

Roscoe6

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2013
I still have a white 4GB 1st generation Nano that just kind of hangs out in our home office. I never seem to use it much for anything besides traveling, just to avoid killing my iPhone's battery.

Any idea if Apple is still doing the recall? If so, would you suppose it would be the 7th generation that gets returned instead of the 6th generation like originally in 2011? I see that the only refurbished Nano model is the 16GB 7th generation. I wasn't a big fan of the square shape, so I've kept it until now.

Four times the storage and Bluetooth is tempting...

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
My mom still has hers white 2 gig, it works, but some problems syncing it iirc.

I got her the current gen pink for New Year.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
I have one that is in great shape. I the last year or so I had it replaced under Apple's battery replacement program so it looks basically brand new. My wife used it for running until upgrading to a new Nano a couple months ago. I was thinking of selling it, but think I am just going to load it up with music and leave it in the car.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I have one.
Pity I can't find it. Put in "an obvious safe place" and haven't seen it for years.

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
Still going strong. Didn't get it replaced since I never had any trouble. Still use it ocasionally.

mlmwalt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2010
Philadelphia, Pa, USA
My 2nd Gen is still running strong, even after my brother "borrowed" it for a couple of years and left it sitting in a puddle of cough syrip for the last couple of months. I just rescued it last week. The Agent18 case for it protect the screen from the syrip but the wheel took some damage. Still works great though, and the battery still lasts for way longer than my Touch.

Slix

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2010
I had one for a number of years, but sent it in for the replacement program and got a new 6th gen in return. I like the new one a lot, but nothing will compare to the feel and usability of the 1st gen nano. Don't regret sending it in though because the hold switch was jammed after a while, rendering it useless at that point.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I have one somewhere, I've been searching for it for quite a while, but so far no luck in remembering where I put it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.