Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sanderdsz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 25, 2012
Ok folks;

I know every day someone asks the same question "iPad Mini worth it?".
But I really need to make this thread...

So Im planning to buy to my girlfriend an iPad Mini 16 GB Wifi.
Her profile is: Internet browsing alot, play some casual games... I really dont know if she is going to play the heavy graphics games but if she goes do this games runs smooth on Mini? And some videos such series on 720p and animes on mkv.
She's the type who dont mind about retina display and the size of the display, so the Mini would be perfect to her being smaller.

I have an iPad 3 and I manage all this tasks easy, and she LOVES my iPad 3, but you know guys, Im not have the money to an iPad 3.

So to end this... Will the Mini handle what I specified?

Thanks everyone and sorry if my english is confusing.

Last edited:

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
The iPad will not play mkv's. You'll need to convert them to mp4 using a free program called Handbrake.

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
iPad mini is on sale this week at Target. $299 for the 16gb. If you want to buy it from Best Buy they are offering a $30 gift card for the mini.

Big Dave

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Crestview, Fl
I think the iPad Mini is the best iPad. It is easier for me to travel with it. It fits in the hands nicely. I think you are making a good choice.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Take your girlfriend to Apple store and let her play with Mini if she loves it then buy it. For me I wouldn't buy her very expensive toy because I am afraid she will dump me for wealth guy Tom Cruise. :apple:

vmaniqui

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2013
California
Ok folks;

I know every day someone asks the same question "iPad Mini worth it?".
But I really need to make this thread...

So Im planning to buy to my girlfriend an iPad Mini 16 GB Wifi.
Her profile is: Internet browsing alot, play some casual games... I really dont know if she is going to play the heavy graphics games but if she goes do this games runs smooth on Mini? And some videos such series on 720p and animes on mkv.
She's the type who dont mind about retina display and the size of the display, so the Mini would be perfect to her being smaller.

I have an iPad 3 and I manage all this tasks easy, and she LOVES my iPad 3, but you know guys, Im not have the money to an iPad 3.

So to end this... Will the Mini handle what I specified?

Thanks everyone and sorry if my english is confusing.

women love surprises. no matter what you give her (mini or not) she'll thank and love you for that. and yes, the mini will handle that. one advantage of the mini is, she can put it easily in her bag/purse.

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
There are apps for playing mkv files.
Would you please write some names here?

women love surprises.
Not so much. Wanted to gift here with an iPod to celebrate both birthday and PhD. Didn't accept the idea of a gift since she forgot about my own b-day. She still doesn't know what the nature of gift is. Left-handed people do have a logic of their own.

tazz3

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2013
go to best buy with her and have her try it out. then surpise her with it.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Would you please write some names here?

Not so much. Wanted to gift here with an iPod to celebrate both birthday and PhD. Didn't accept the idea of a gift since she forgot about my own b-day. She still doesn't know what the nature of gift is. Left-handed people do have a logic of their own.

Watch it, Buddy!

Some of us sinistrals out here a pretty sensitive about our twisted logic.:(

Cubytus

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2007
Watch it, Buddy!

Some of us sinistrals out here a pretty sensitive about our twisted logic.:(
At times I wish I was gifted with that instead of a painless but stupid, uncurable and painless lifelong disease.

Their logic allow them to manage space and their relation to it much more efficiently, and find connections where other don't.

go to best buy with her and have her try it out. then surpise her with it.
Was it for the OP or for me?

awegew

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2013
If you don't have the money for the retina, go spend $50 on flowers, candles and cook her dinner. She'll actually pay attention to you for the rest of the night instead of being OCD with her iPad mini.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
If you get the iPad, you can have it altert her each year on Steak & BJ day.

Now THAT had me in stitches...! You nailed the long-term relationship dynamic perfectly.

To the OP: Only you know if your girlfriend would likely care about the iPad mini running a little slower than an iPad or not having a Retina display. My sense is that most people who have never had an iPad LOVE the mini, and women love it even more for it's small size and 'fits in my purse/handbag' convenience.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Totally agree with above comment. Id be happy for any ipad and if I wasnt a semi techie the retina discussion would not matter to me. Get the mini. Its nice and small, with data!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.