Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

K1ngkev1n1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I'm not sure about which to try. I'm worried if I port to google voice the call quality will be bad and I will get dropped calls while driving. Also when I use my built in Bluetooth I can't say call whoever bc it doesn't use my google voice curious on people's thoughts. I don't think I'll use that many minutes I can always FaceTime and it won't use minutes as well.

K1ngkev1n1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
How do you port your old number? I had heard that it will take several days for them to port your old number to your new number. Do you do it online?

Ported my Verizon number yesterday, called tmobile they walked me through the process within 24hrs my number was active on my tmobile phone.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
I'm not sure about which to try. I'm worried if I port to google voice the call quality will be bad and I will get dropped calls while driving.
Then try GV without porting and see if that's an issue for you. If not, port. GV has nothing to do with your carrier's network dropping calls.

Also when I use my built in Bluetooth I can't say call whoever bc it doesn't use my google voice curious on people's thoughts.
Our thoughts don't matter. You need to decide based on your priorities and preferences. It doesn't matter to me if a call from my vehicle's BT system doesn't show the caller my GV number though I rarely take or place calls while driving anyway.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i honestly wouldn't port your number to google voice. i wouldn't be surprised if google yanks voice away like they're doing with reader. if you're really that curious about google voice, just get the new online number and test that out and see how you like it. you can always port later.

fyi, having google voice alone won't save you minutes. google voice calls get forwarded to your real number, so calls take up minutes from your allotment of 100. if you want to save minutes, you'll have to download an app like talkatone.

Donz0r

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2006
If you don't need to use google voice's unique features, just port your number to T-Mo. If you use more than 100 min on the $30 plan it'll just charge 10c/min. I used to have this plan and I just always kept extra $$ in the account b/c I used more than 100 min. Don't go through the hassel of GV unless you specifcally want to use some of its features.

K1ngkev1n1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
I ported to tmobile, gonna use vonage for outgoing calls. Seems easier especially regarding voicemails just to have my number with tmobile.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
I ported my number to Google Voice (cost me $20) and then purchased a $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan with 5GB 4G, and it works great.
I don't call often, but when I do, 4G works great and Edge is acceptable, but I mostly call when on WiFi. Texting works great as well with my GV number. I use the app Talkatone for calling and texting with my GV #, and the free version provides ample call quality for me, but you can upgrade for a monthly fee to get improved quality and compression and whatnot. Talkatone also allows me to send MMS's, which is a plus.
So I'd suggest using GV, although I really hope they don't pull the plug on it, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
EDIT: also I started the port process to GV at night, and the number was successfully ported around noon two days later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.