Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Hello. Here's my situation. Thanks in advance. :)

I have several videos taken with my iPhone that are way to big to email. As a result, my solution was to copy the files to my desktop PC. Once on my desktop PC I uploaded the files to my personal web site server and emailed myself URLs to each video. The idea was to click on the URL within my iPad's email client and download/save the video.

So far so good. The files uploaded to the server properly and an email was sent with URLs that were tested on my desktop PC. Once I clicked the URLs in the iPad email client the Safari browser launched and the video started to download and play. Everything worked as expected EXCEPT I can't save the video. If I press and hold on the screen I do not get any options to save. I also do not see any UI buttons that offer me the ability to save these videos.

To make a long story short, how do I save these videos to my iPad's camera roll using the URLs I emailed to myself? I know about YouTube but I want a solution that doesn't require an internet connection to view them.

Thanks. :)

Last edited:

jdblas69

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
Not sure what kinda size the videos you are sending but have you tried iMessaging them to your iPad?

I have sent some pretty big video clips by iMessage and actually was really surprised they went through, I was expecting some sort of error message coming back but they went through!

It did take a while for them to be received maybe 5 minutes max so be patient.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
...how do I save these videos to my iPad's camera roll using the URLs I emailed to myself?

I know several ways to get the videos to your iPad camera roll, but not from your website using those URLs.

One option is to sync the videos through iTunes. But that process, when used for photos, magically converts to the "right" resolution for you, without telling you what that resolution is, so who knows what you end up with on your iPad.

Instead, you can use an app like PhotoSync, which will work over wifi and transfer video/photos between devices including PC, iPhone, and iPad.

The best way to transfer between iPhone and iPad in the future, is the USB to lightning camera connection kit. Also, with the SD card to lightning camera connection kit, you can transfer the files from your PC to the iPad, via the SD card. This would be WAY faster than the wifi method.

Simple. :rolleyes:

Regards,
Tom

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
You could use Dropbox. Also there are various 3rd party browsers that can download videos. I think I did it once with Dolphin.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Okay, so if I'm hearing you guys correctly there is no way to download and save the videos to my iPad through my web site server. If I want to transfer videos then I have to buy 3rd party apps or buy extra equipment?

Any other ideas? Please don't refer me to iTunes syncing, texting, messaging or YouTube. I just need a way to get videos from iPhone to iPad/iPod.

Thanks again. :)

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Okay, so if I'm hearing you guys correctly there is no way to download and save the videos to my iPad through my web site server. If I want to transfer videos then I have to buy 3rd party apps or buy extra equipment?

Any other ideas? Please don't refer me to iTunes syncing, texting, messaging or YouTube. I just need a way to get videos from iPhone to iPad/iPod.

Then they will not help you because they know iTunes syncing, texting, messaging and YouTube are the only options that work well for you. :apple:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Then they will not help you because they know iTunes syncing, texting, messaging and YouTube are the only options that work well for you. :apple:

How peculiar that I was able to use the Camera Connection kit to transfer a video I just took with my iPhone to my iPad. Its the same way you can tranfer photos from your iPhone to your iPad.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
One option is to sync the videos through iTunes.

That puts them in the videos app or the photo collection, not camera roll.

Only way get them into camera roll like spot is the camera connect kits. Puts them in an imported items file that to a computer acts like the camera roll does

blackbear219

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2012
I just use iMessage. My wife sends me videos of our daughter and I save them to my camera roll on a daily basis.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
How peculiar that I was able to use the Camera Connection kit to transfer a video I just took with my iPhone to my iPad. Its the same way you can tranfer photos from your iPhone to your iPad.

OP had already ruled out "buy[ing] extra equipment" as an unacceptable solution. :rolleyes:

charlituna said:
That puts them in the videos app or the photo collection, not camera roll.

Syncing photos from a PC will indeed put them into the Photos app, and if you include videos they will go to the same place, and not the videos app. To be clear, they're not going to the Camera Roll portion of the Photos app, per se. The CCK doesn't put stuff into the Camera Roll, either. But everything in the Photos app is accessible to other photo/video apps, so the differentiation is academic.

MaloCS

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 11, 2011
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like the camera connection kit is the only way to do what I want.

If having an internet connection wasn't an issue then I would definitely upload them to YouTube.

fortysomegeek

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like the camera connection kit is the only way to do what I want.

If having an internet connection wasn't an issue then I would definitely upload them to YouTube.

Not true. I copy videos to my camera roll all the time using a NAS (FreeNAS) along with an app, File Browser (which is a SAMBA, SSH, Appletalk client).

You have to name the file the same way it is in the Apple's DCIM folder and it needs to be h.264. Some AVI and .MOV files have worked. Once in the camera roll, iMovie sees it.

THis is how I've been editing 10-20 year VHS/hi-8mm video transfers. I use my old G4 to convert mini-DV videos stored on my NAS and edit the videos on the iPad/iPhone.

Here are some screen shots from my iPhone 5

Connect to my NAS.

img_0081.png

Save video to camera roll.

img_0083.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.