Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
im debating selling my macbook pro for an imac. its a 2012 13" with an ssd and 10gb ram. i also have an 11" air.
im worried i'll find the imac very slow because of the mechanical drive?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
iMacs are fast and fun. The main drawback, which is simply my personal opinion is if it's one's only computer, you are stuck in one physical location within your dwelling.

I cannot imagine not having a Mac laptop.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
ive got an air as well, but im thinking because id be using that a lot as well then the imac would feel even slower

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
ive got an air as well, but im thinking because id be using that a lot as well then the imac would feel even slower

So get one with a Fusion drive then (100% of the real world performance of an SSD if you are under 120 GB of data, with decreased performance if you have more than 120 GB), or just get one that has a pure SSD drive in it.

Alternatively, have an external thunderbolt SSD. I have one and it works really well.

Last edited:

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
theres a cost issue there. £175 upgrade for the fusion drive. same for a thunderbolt ssd.

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Wait for the next iMac upgrade?
I'm not saying that Apple have any sense beyond keeping shareholders happy, but Fusion drives should be standard across the iMac range in a logical world.

A laptop 5400 rpm drive in place of an SSD-for-boot drive + data drive is comical!
Not suprising tbh; Apple are always lagging way behind regarding tech.
Of course, all the people who buy the top of the range 27" iMac's with the Fusion and 680MX will disagree, lol.

The Apple price disparity for non-US customers is ridiculous, so I understand where you're coming from.

Last edited:

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 1, 2012
tough one really, if i wait that long the next gen macbook will be out and mine worth even less

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.