Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xdxdaustin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2010
Connecticut, United States
I am using my early 2008 white Macbook as a DVR to capture HD streams via FireRecord. The formats that are available for me to use are .m2t, .ts. or .tp. I am currently using .m2t. These streams are massive; 1 hour of video racks up 5.5 gigs. At my disposal I have access to a 2TB Time Capsule with a 160gb HDD attached (not the fastest HDD in the world) as well as a 250gb HDD in the White Macbook. My main computer/viewing device of choice is my Retina Macbook Pro. I have the 256gb model (of the Retina) so I don't want to load up the local HDD with massive files but when I put the files on my Time Capsule or other location they're painfully slow to stream. I'm not opposed to compressing them to reduce file size, but ideally only enough compression that you wouldn't notice the difference.

Is there anyway I can have my cake and eat it too?

Note to mods: I wasn't sure if this was the appropriate forum because it involves video but its primarily based around the Mac. Feel free to move this if need be.

UPDATE:

I managed to figure this out on my own. Just for anyone who stumbles across this thread, just use Plex to handle the media. You'll be able to easily watch all the videos without any messy conversion or buffering while taking full advantage of any extra storage. Its quite a lovely solution

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.