'The Loop' Launches New Magazine for iOS - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 9, 2013, 06:07 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'The Loop' Launches New Magazine for iOS

Jim Dalrymple, the veteran Apple journalist behind The Loop, is launching a new magazine for iOS devices today. Rather than simply being an iOS version of the existing site, the magazine version of The Loop is a separate publication hosting longer form writing from a variety of contributors and perspectives. As Dalrymple notes in his welcome message:
Quote:
For many years people have been asking me why I didn't release an app for the iPhone and iPad. The answer was simple: I couldn't find anything that added value to what I did on The Loop. I wanted something more than a side-scrolling news app that basically imitated what I'd already linked to or written on the Web site. [...]

It wasn't until I saw the format that Marco Arment used in The Magazine that I realized what I really wanted for The Loop -- a design and reading experience that matched what I had on the Web site. An easy to read magazine that focused on original content, not on selling ads.
The inaugural issue of The Loop magazine includes a half dozen articles:

- A piece on enduring design from developer Matt Gemmell
- An autobiographical piece from Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess talking about the impact of technology and how he has embraced it in his work
- An essay on the impact of the smartphone revolution bringing computers into our pockets from Creative Strategies analyst and Time contributor Ben Bajarin
- A look at the balkanization of the Mac gaming industry by The Loop co-founder and iMore senior editor Peter Cohen
- A personal look at disruptive problem solving from Flexibits co-founder Michael Simmons
- A brief introduction to wine for newbies from event planner Brenda Singer

The Loop magazine is available through Apple's Newsstand automatic subscription delivery service and published twice per month, with subscriptions priced at $1.99 per month. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'The Loop' Launches New Magazine for iOS
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:49 AM   #2
Aussi3
macrumors member

' Yep '

Aussi3 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:23 AM   #3
kjs862
macrumors 65816

$1.99 a month for 'yep' and 'nope', I don't think so.
kjs862 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:38 AM   #4
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
No kidding.
cardfan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:54 AM   #5
Ken Masters
macrumors member

Where's the Android version?
Ken Masters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:57 AM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Masters View Post
Hmmm it seems as though it could be very much centered around Apple with some tidbits that would be of interest to non-Apple using folks. I wonder if we'll see the android version.

OTOH, I have zero interest in this.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:24 AM   #7
polymersayb
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
No kidding.
Oh please. I have zero interest in this as Dalrymple is pretty much the biggest Apple fan ever (far worse than Gruber and Arment who at least acknowledge that Apple isn't perfect). However, his extreme loyalty to Apple means he is very well connected, and those "Nope" and "Yep" posts are reserved for straight-from-Apple information (so they should be considered extremely valuable for a rumors community, and especially far more valuable than typical analyst posts). The rest of his blog does basically sing Apple's praises (and using, believe it or not, more words), and thus is pretty worthless in my opinion. Which is why I have more interest in Arment's magazine than Dalrymple's.
polymersayb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
This probably isn't the best place to ask.
Simplicated is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:14 AM   #9
alent1234
macrumors 603

with Flipboard Magazines paying for monthly issues is just dumb
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:28 AM   #10
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

I have no problem paying for content, but $2/month for 12-ish articles, I don't know. I guess if they were well written, informative, etc. But information moves so fast, by the time you read it on The Loop Newstand, you already read about it here, for free, and probably a dozen other places. So I guess for news it wouldn't be that great, but maybe for insight?

As long as there are ZERO ads, I'd give it a look.

As an aside, I would have no problem paying the New York Times $20.00/month for an ad-free version of their paper. These companies have got to learn that in this day and age, when people for for content, they will not pay twice by viewing an ad. If you want the ad-supported free model, I'm all for that, but if I pay good money, ads will not appear in my apps.

We'll see how this lasts. I'm assuming he's paying the writers, so if enough people subscribe, in theory he can get more writers and add more content, etc. But you can probably get all the info for free with a FREE rss feed.

Bryan
Old May 9, 2013, 10:19 AM   #11
matrix07
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by furi0usbee View Post
As long as there are ZERO ads, I'd give it a look.
Look like you got your wish. From the Welcome page:
"An easy to read magazine that focused on original content, not on selling ads."
Old May 9, 2013, 10:38 AM   #12
OtherJesus
macrumors regular

I understand he's a well connected guy but you'll never catch me giving a pompous turd $2 per month.

Nope.
OtherJesus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:23 AM   #13
muire
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjs862 View Post
Love how you dismiss it without even checking it out. It's all exclusive curated articles by writers in a similar manner as Marco's The Magazine.

Get your head out of your ass before making stupid comments.
muire is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:29 AM   #14
AAPLGeek
macrumors regular

Nope.

AAPLGeek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:04 PM   #15
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by muire View Post
Love how you dismiss it without even checking it out. It's all exclusive curated articles by writers in a similar manner as Marco's The Magazine.

Get your head out of your ass before making stupid comments.
I checked it out. Too many writers I don't care about. If Jim wanted to write a lot of content, I might consider it. But reading about wine or some random idiot who doesn't follow rules? Nah..
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:53 PM   #16
gorskiegangsta
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Who on Android would be willing to pay $1.99/mo subscription for Apple-centric content/opinion?
Old May 9, 2013, 02:06 PM   #17
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
It wasn't until I saw the format that Marco Arment used in The Magazine that I realized what I really wanted for The Loop -- a design and reading experience that matched what I had on the Web site.
Aha. I think I see what Marco is doing here. Instead of trying to sell apps (e.g. Instapaper) to end-users, he's created a publishing platform. A platform that other editors in chief can use to create their own magazines. And Marco is presumably taking a cut of the subscription fees. Steady revenue stream from multiple publications. Or something like that. Good for you, Marco.

Update: Nope. Marco's "The Magazine" is built on his own code. "The Loop" magazine uses TypeEngine.
(See gibbz' post below.)

Quote:
An easy to read magazine that focused on original content, not on selling ads.
$2/month for an ad-free reading experience? Absolutely worth it, with one qualification. It's worth it if, and only if, you're into the magazine's content. But the something-for-everybody approach is too hit and miss for me. Kind of like Jim's web site. He link-blogs terse comments about all kinds of amusing YouTube videos, guitar players, Heineken, etc. that I don't care about.

$2/month for great writing, ad-free, but on topics I may or may not want to read about?
I think one magazine like that is enough: The Magazine. I already subscribe to that.

If, on the other hand, the Loop magazine were more focused on tech, including Apple and all of its wannabe competitors, then I'd pay more attention. Especially if it had exclusive articles by the likes of Horace Dediu, John Gruber, Paul Thurrott, Eric Raymond, Richard Stallman, and other experts (yes, even if they're biased toward one platform or another.)

And the pièce de résistance: a point-counterpoint between the experts on specific topics. Just to show how intelligent people discuss things and agree to disagree. A refresher course, if you will.

Last edited by SockRolid; May 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM.
SockRolid is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:02 PM   #18
Ken Masters
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorskiegangsta View Post
Who on Android would be willing to pay $1.99/mo subscription for Apple-centric content/opinion?
Exactly.
Ken Masters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Snowshiro
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I realized what I really wanted for The Loop -- a design and reading experience that matched what I had on the Web site.
What!? A pisspoor fanboy blog where he just reposts quoted stuff from other sites and then writes a pointless one line comment under it? $2 well spent then...
Snowshiro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:24 PM   #20
gibbz
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to gibbz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post
Aha. I think I see what Marco is doing here. Instead of trying to sell apps (e.g. Instapaper) to end-users, he's created a publishing platform. A platform that other editors in chief can use to create their own magazines. And Marco is presumably taking a cut of the subscription fees. Steady revenue stream from multiple publications. Or something like that. Good for you, Marco.
This isn't the case. Marco created the Magazine's structure from scratch. The platform used by The Loop is from TypeEngine - and Marco has commented on their very familiar design here.
gibbz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:29 AM   #21
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbz View Post
This isn't the case. Marco created the Magazine's structure from scratch. The platform used by The Loop is from TypeEngine - and Marco has commented on their very familiar design here.
Wow. Sure fooled me. Thanks for the link!
Old May 13, 2013, 05:08 AM   #22
isarat
macrumors newbie

How do you compare it with The Magazine?

How do you compare it with The Magazine?

Quote:

Jim Dalrymple, the veteran Apple journalist behind The Loop, is launching a new magazine for iOS devices today. Rather than simply being an iOS version of the existing site, the magazine version of The Loop is a separate publication hosting longer form writing from a variety of contributors and perspectives. As Dalrymple notes in his welcome message:The inaugural issue of The Loop magazine includes a half dozen articles:

- A piece on enduring design from developer Matt Gemmell
- An autobiographical piece from Dream Theater keyboardist Jordan Rudess talking about the impact of technology and how he has embraced it in his work
- An essay on the impact of the smartphone revolution bringing computers into our pockets from Creative Strategies analyst and Time contributor Ben Bajarin
- A look at the balkanization of the Mac gaming industry by The Loop co-founder and iMore senior editor Peter Cohen
- A personal look at disruptive problem solving from Flexibits co-founder Michael Simmons
- A brief introduction to wine for newbies from event planner Brenda Singer

The Loop magazine is available through Apple's Newsstand automatic subscription delivery service and published twice per month, with subscriptions priced at $1.99 per month. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'The Loop' Launches New Magazine for iOS
isarat is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion