Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 9, 2013, 08:11 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pegatron's Plans to Boost Workforce by 40%, Fueling Lower-Cost iPhone Speculation

Just a day after reporting that its consumer electronics revenue would drop more than expected in the second quarter, perhaps due to weakening iPad mini demand, Apple manufacturing partner Pegatron has announced that it will boost its workforce by 40% in the second half of the year. The significant increase is fueling ongoing rumors of a lower-cost iPhone, as the firm has been reported to be handling production of the device.
Quote:
Pegatron's Chief Financial Officer Charles Lin told Reuters on Thursday that 60 percent of the company's 2013 revenue would come from the second half.

He declined to comment whether the cheaper iPhone was among the new products to be made in the second half.
Pegatron is a longtime manufacturing partner for Apple, currently handling the iPhone 4S and iPad mini, although the majority of Apple's iOS device assembly is handled by the larger Foxconn. Pegatron currently employs 100,000 workers in its facilities, with yesterday's report indicating that the iPhone 4S and iPad mini each account for more than half of Pegatron's revenue for its communications and consumer electronics divisions respectively.

Article Link: Pegatron's Plans to Boost Workforce by 40%, Fueling Lower-Cost iPhone Speculation
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:13 AM   #2
Intarweb
macrumors 6502a

That's a whole lot of decepticons.
Intarweb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:14 AM   #3
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

All this for the new Nokia phone, I suppose
Old May 9, 2013, 08:15 AM   #4
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

How much can really be gleaned from reports about third party parts suppliers? One moment Apple is booming and the next Apple is in the tank
ValSalva is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:19 AM   #5
needfx
macrumors 68020

hey, my CV is up to date but I ain't submitting it
needfx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:19 AM   #6
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by robogobo View Post
"I suggest its good to question the accuracy of any kind of rumor about build plans. Even if a particular data point were factual, it would be impossible to interpret that data point as to what it meant to our business. The supply chain is very complex and we have multiple sources for things. Yields can vary, supplier performance can vary. There is an inordinate long list of things that can make any single data point not a great proxy for what is going on."

-horse's mouth
The question is: Is Tim Cook the horse, or is Apple the horse and Tim Cook the horse's mouth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Pegatron currently employs 100,000 workers in its facilities, with yesterday's report indicating that the iPhone 4S and iPad mini each account for more than half of Pegatron's revenue for its communications and consumer electronics divisions respectively.
The problem with reports like this is that they are quite useless. For all we know from this report, Pegatron might employ 99,000 workers building tractors, plus 500 each in the communication and consumer electronics division, of which 251 are working on iPhone and iPad mini components.
gnasher729 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:24 AM   #7
ihateilove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
The question is: Is Tim Cook the horse, or is Apple the horse and Tim Cook the horse's mouth?
In context of course, Foxconn announced its own hiring blitz recently. TSMC reportedly now makes the processors. That's three data points. I suspect Apple's been planning this for a while, when you bring in a fourth data point -- record cap expenditure for last two years.

With Samsung out the game and Google reduced to its true status as an iOS user data hijacker with its apps, I'd take these data points as signs that Apple is preparing to really kick some **tt. We can't predict just what Apple has planned, but this is the first iOS release salvo in which Samsung hasn't had any insight into what's coming.

So I suspect things are gonna get waaaay interesting.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:26 AM   #8
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

Quote:

The problem with reports like this is that they are quite useless. For all we know from this report, Pegatron might employ 99,000 workers building tractors, plus 500 each in the communication and consumer electronics division, of which 251 are working on iPhone and iPad mini components.
As a matter of logic, yes. But that given that Apple is one of Pegatron's largest, if not its largest, customer, additional inferences can be made.
Amplelink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:28 AM   #9
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Just when you think your out, they reel you right back in!
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:38 AM   #10
ihateilove
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplelink View Post
As a matter of logic, yes. But that given that Apple is one of Pegatron's largest, if not its largest, customer, additional inferences can be made.
Absolutely: you can't state in one report that claimed slow iPad mini sales have impacted Pegatron's financial results while avoiding the importance of Apple to that company's business in another. A 40 percent increase in the size of the workforce just isn't going to be about a new BlackBerry. And don't forget the relatively recent WSJ report in which it was revealed that Foxconn is also on a similar recruitment drive.

This leads me to suggest that we aren't just looking at a product refresh, but new product families, in line with months of rumor and speculation.

The data points that we do have seem to suggest this. Particularly Apple's capital expenditure across the last two years. I hope Samsung is quaking in its figurative boots, as you don't need to be a Steve Jobs level genius to recognise that Apple will be doing its level best to hurt its faithless former partner.

I wrote this in my blog, there's a link in the sig.
Old May 9, 2013, 08:44 AM   #11
daitenshe
macrumors newbie

40%!

The Autobots won't stand a chance! (Sorry, I couldnt resist)
daitenshe is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 08:44 AM   #12
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intarweb View Post
That's a whole lot of decepticons.
Pegatron does sound a lot like Megatron......
Old May 9, 2013, 08:48 AM   #13
jrswizzle
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by daitenshe View Post

The Autobots won't stand a chance! (Sorry, I couldnt resist)

Megatron: "Do as I command and we will defeat the Autobots once and for all!"

Negatron: "No, not gonna work."

Megatron: "Gaw come on, what did we talk about!"

Negatron: "Autobots always win. You think Optimus Prime is gonna be dead dead, but then he's not dead."

Megatron: "I'm taking this from a robot that turns into a canoe?!"

Negatron: "When there's a battle on a gently moving river, you'll want me."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2940148280100811158S500x500Q85.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	411533  
Old May 9, 2013, 08:53 AM   #14
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
All this for the new Nokia phone, I suppose
Or the Sharp TVs the company is allegedly building.

----------

Quote:
Sorry but that logic still doesn't track. That historically Apple was the biggest client does equal that these must be employees for something for Apple. After all, there are all reports that Foxconn is trying to branch out so their eggs arent all in Apples basket. Perhaps this is part of that.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:07 AM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

But, but, but Bloomberg just told us the other day iPad mini demand is declining.

Also, when has any Apple supplier ever said publicly what percentage of their revenues come from Apple products?
Old May 9, 2013, 09:07 AM   #16
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
My point is: The article gave information that is useless as it stands. If you have a reference that Apple is one of Pegatron's largest customers, I'd love to see it. But again, if Apple purchases 10.9% of Pegatron's goods, and there are another nine customers each buying 9.9%, then "Apple is the largest customer" isn't very meaningful. On the other hand, if Apple purchased 33% and someone else 67%, that would make Apple "by far the smallest customer" while Apple would be much more important to Pegatron.

What the article says: Apple makes more than half the revenue in two divisions. The number of divisions in Pegatron is unknown. The size of these two divisions is unknown. Therefore, all in all, the information is useless.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:10 AM   #17
G4DP
macrumors 65816

"All hail Pegatron"

Analysts do make the strangest connections. It could be for any of their clients.

Next it'l be the price of Silver has shot up Apple must be planning an new device!
Old May 9, 2013, 09:13 AM   #18
iGeek
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to iGeek
I read this as "Pentagon" as in the Pentagon, and was very confused.
iGeek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:24 AM   #19
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:

And 1 of the 251 is working on the new Mac Pro.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGeek View Post
I read this as "Pentagon" as in the Pentagon, and was very confused.
Nobody works there.
Old May 9, 2013, 09:27 AM   #20
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Another poop-a-tron post from our friendly neighborhood macrumors bot
Old May 9, 2013, 09:35 AM   #21
jonAppleSeed
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Pegatron does sound a lot like Megatron......
Mixed with a pegasus
jonAppleSeed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:23 AM   #22
Millah
macrumors 6502a

In case you guys haven't seen Philip Elmer Dewitts article today, he did a "fact-check" on Bloombergs total BS article yesterday about Pegatron saying "lowering iPad Mini Demand."

Turns out, Pegatron said NO such thing whatsoever, and that clown from Bloomberg completely made it up and put words in Pegatron CEOs mouth. If you haven't seen PED's article, I'd suggest you go look at it. Philip did some excellent investigative work and emailed Pegatrons CEO directly.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/...ron-bloomberg/
Millah is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:37 AM   #23
Popeye206
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millah View Post
In case you guys haven't seen Philip Elmer Dewitts article today, he did a "fact-check" on Bloombergs total BS article yesterday about Pegatron saying "lowering iPad Mini Demand."

Turns out, Pegatron said NO such thing whatsoever, and that clown from Bloomberg completely made it up and put words in Pegatron CEOs mouth. If you haven't seen PED's article, I'd suggest you go look at it. Philip did some excellent investigative work and emailed Pegatrons CEO directly.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/05/...ron-bloomberg/
Everyone is looking for a headline! UGH! Amazing for sure!
Popeye206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:06 AM   #24
jonnysods
macrumors 68030

Groan.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:25 PM   #25
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonAppleSeed View Post
Mixed with a pegasus