Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 9, 2013, 11:42 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Netflix for iOS Updated with Movie Recommendations and Auto-Play for TV Shows

Netflix has updated its iOS app to version 4.1, adding several options to encourage continuous content viewing like auto-play for television episodes and post-movie recommendations.

With the new features, after watching an episode of a television show, the next episode will automatically begin to play. Additionally, after a movie ends, Netflix will offer three recommendations for similar movies. The update also includes enhanced second screen options.
Quote:
- Added post-play feature where, when one episode of a TV show ends, the Netflix app automatically cues and then starts the next episode

- In post-play for movies, the three best movie recommendations are displayed at the end of the movie currently being watched

- Added enhanced second screen options
The universal Netflix app is available for download from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Netflix for iOS Updated with Movie Recommendations and Auto-Play for TV Shows
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 11:59 AM   #2
Behindthelens24
macrumors newbie

The PS3 version of Netflix has been doing this for a while now. Glad apple finally caught up.
Behindthelens24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:06 PM   #3
QCassidy352
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindthelens24 View Post
The PS3 version of Netflix has been doing this for a while now. Glad apple finally caught up.
Apple didn't catch up - It's netflix's app, and they decide when to update it.
QCassidy352 is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindthelens24 View Post
I prefer this UI than what comes with my bluray player.. it's less cluttered and just flows
pnoyblazed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5
peteullo
macrumors regular

All Netflix needs now is some good content to recommend.
peteullo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:26 PM   #6
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteullo View Post
All Netflix needs now is some good content to recommend.
IMOHO
For TV they have a very good selection, and for movies if you like the lower budget or B movies they have a good selection of those as well.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:27 PM   #7
SeanMcg
macrumors 6502

One thing I like about the Netflix app on the TV is the ability to search on an actor or director, not just the film title. I wish they would bring that to the iOS app.

I hope the TV app is updated to include the new TV show continuous play feature. Consider it a playlist for TV shows. It is sooooo tiring to have to click the two or three times just to get the next episode to play Seriously, though, it can come in handy if you are otherwise occupied.
SeanMcg is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:32 PM   #8
cpatterson1177
macrumors newbie

I'm glad that Netflix finally added this feature to "i" devices. I love the auto-play feature on the PS3 and have been waiting for them to add it to the "i" devices.
cpatterson1177 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:55 PM   #9
apptactics
macrumors newbie

I love this feature on my PS3, and is one of the reasons I prefer using that instead of my Apple TV.

My question: who made the Netflix app for the Apple TV? I assume it wasn't actually Netflix, but rather was Apple, and this is why it isn't as functional as other platform versions. It's like the whole YouTube for iOS thing all over again. Hopefully there is a "real" Netflix app coming in the near future!
apptactics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:11 PM   #10
lepeos
macrumors member

So how do you use the whole second screen thing and what shows support it?
lepeos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:28 PM   #11
rootyb
macrumors member

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. My iPad Netflix app has automatically queued up and played the next episode of a TV show for as long as I can remember.

Hell, usually, it doesn't even finish the credits before playing the next episode.

Am I losing my mind?
rootyb is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:31 PM   #12
FirePhantom
macrumors member

And still no HD content for Retina iPads.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:33 PM   #13
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I like that it automatically plays the next episode and then stops a minute or two into the second episode that it automatically plays... It's good for keeping track of time and realizing "already watched two episodes - time to do something productive."
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:45 PM   #14
John.B
macrumors 68040

AirPlay support would be great, for those of us who travel. Yeah, no, I didn't think so...
Old May 9, 2013, 02:00 PM   #15
tonyr6
macrumors 6502

I hate the stupid auto play feature. Was ticked of when the PS3 and then the Windows 8 app added it now the iPhone app has it. Thad is one advantage of the Roku that it does not have it.

I rarely watch episodes of the same series after each other. At least give us a option in your account to turn off this annoyance. I like opening sequence and the end credits. Remember when TV networks use to do that.
tonyr6 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 02:07 PM   #16
Scarpad
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyr6 View Post
I hate the stupid auto play feature. Was ticked of when the PS3 and then the Windows 8 app added it now the iPhone app has it. Thad is one advantage of the Roku that it does not have it.

I rarely watch episodes of the same series after each other. At least give us a option in your account to turn off this annoyance. I like opening sequence and the end credits. Remember when TV networks use to do that.
The is a way to tell it not to do that On the PS3 I think its the triangle button
Old May 9, 2013, 02:44 PM   #17
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Just in time for an Arrested Development rewatch before the new season drops.
Bill Killer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:02 PM   #18
SeanMcg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Just in time for an Arrested Development rewatch before the new season drops.
I was just reading something about "binge viewing" and how it is starting to have an effect on TV programming. As more original content is developed for the Internet, like Arrested Development, House of Cards, and Hemlock Grove, people now have the option to take an entire weekend to watch an entire new series in one day or weekend. No waiting for it to come out each week, or after it has been broadcast on a weekly schedule and then released in digital form of some sort.

If people do it for any movie series with multiple installments, why not a "TV" show? Thinking about it, I kinda wish there were playlists in Netflix to allow you to do the same thing with movies. The pause button is always there when Mother Nature, hunger, or the significant other calls.
SeanMcg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:02 PM   #19
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
IMOHO
For TV they have a very good selection, and for movies if you like the lower budget or B movies they have a good selection of those as well.
Exactly. People got spoiled by the selection of discs by mail, which allowed them to offer any dvd that was commercially available without needing to negotiate contract rights.

For a streaming service, there's a ton of great TV content and an OK movie selection. People complain it's not enough, but I have yet to see anyone suggest an alternative that has unlimited streaming at that price with a better selection (or really, at any price).
milo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:54 PM   #20
lepeos
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanMcg View Post
I was just reading something about "binge viewing" and how it is starting to have an effect on TV programming. As more original content is developed for the Internet, like Arrested Development, House of Cards, and Hemlock Grove, people now have the option to take an entire weekend to watch an entire new series in one day or weekend. No waiting for it to come out each week, or after it has been broadcast on a weekly schedule and then released in digital form of some sort.

If people do it for any movie series with multiple installments, why not a "TV" show? Thinking about it, I kinda wish there were playlists in Netflix to allow you to do the same thing with movies. The pause button is always there when Mother Nature, hunger, or the significant other calls.

Something tells me you don't need to worry too much about that last one
lepeos is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:07 PM   #21
SeanMcg
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepeos View Post
Something tells me you don't need to worry too much about that last one
Wow! Are you the same psychic that said Amanda Berry was dead?
SeanMcg is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:38 PM   #22
Tiger8
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
IMOHO
Indie / Foreign movies selection is great
Tiger8 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 07:41 PM   #23
michaelant
macrumors newbie

I'd like the auto-play feature on the PS3 if it didn't cut off the last few seconds of whatever you're watching before jumping to the next episode. It's fine if it's just credits, but some shows have a punchline at the very end after credits, and you miss it. Hitting the circle button doesn't work because it backs you out; you still miss the end, even though it doesn't skip to the next.
michaelant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:41 PM   #24
jw2002
macrumors 6502

Is there a way to permanently disable the post auto-play? I don't like having to tell Netflix every single time to NOT play the next episode when I'm trying to watch the credits of the episode that just ended.

And similarly, I've noticed that with streaming that sometimes Netflix inserts previews instead of playing what I asked to play. NO THANK YOU. They need a way to permanently disable such previews as well.
jw2002 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:47 AM   #25
ArmCortexA8
macrumors 6502a

Good old Net****z - another pointless overpriced, DRM laced piece of software where people pay to watch material because they want "convenience". I hate streaming services, wont accept any DRM measures, and prefer physical copies of blu-ray movies, instead of having to have a large downloaded quota which they expect me to pay on top of to access their fee based service - talk about a con job.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion