Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 9, 2013, 12:28 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pixelmator 2.2 Adds Extensive Shapes Support, New Video Tutorials Website

The hugely popular Pixelmator continues to add features to its image editing app, this time adding an extensive collection of shapes and related tools, a new paint selection tool, and more. There is also a new tutorials website with videos showing how to use Pixelmator to its fullest.

The last update to Pixelmator added CMYK support, color profile management. The software is becoming more and more powerful for image editors, while keeping its competitive price of $14.99 -- significantly less than Adobe's Photoshop, which the team considers its primary competitor.
Quote:
"We're excited to deliver even more, easy-to-use, advanced features to our Pixelmator fans and continue to create the best and most enjoyable image editing experience," said Saulius Dailide of the Pixelmator Team. "With new state-of-the-art Smart Shape Tools, people can fully enhance their images, create logos, Web layouts, posters, and much more, all easier than ever before."

Pixelmator 2.2 Blueberry comes with more than 100 new features and improvements
Pixelmator 2.2 is available now from the Mac App Store for $14.99, free for current owners. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator 2.2 Adds Extensive Shapes Support, New Video Tutorials Website
MacRumors is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Porco
macrumors 68000

Pixelmator has a real opportunity to benefit from Adobe's recent greedy new forced-subscription-model decision, and I wish them all the luck in the world. Updates like this is are very encouraging.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:37 PM   #3
camomac
macrumors 6502a

I really hope this makes adobe reconsider a few things. They need some real competition.
camomac is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:56 PM   #4
applesith
macrumors 68000

I'm rooting for Pixelmator to further develop their software to compete with Photoshop. I love Photoshop and used it everyday, but I like competition even more. Adobe is too comfortable with their domination and need a competitive poke.
applesith is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:01 PM   #5
AppleDroid
macrumors 6502

If they can import PSD files with all my layer effects/grouping/masks then I'd be happy to check it out.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:03 PM   #6
Otis Bagotis
macrumors member

Adobe's crackdown on pirated software is the dumbest thing they've ever done. Those aren't necessarily lost sales. In fact most of those illegal downloads are keeping customers from buying a competitors product. And now more people are going to products like pixelmator and willingly paying the much lower price, which in turn gives pixelmator the capital to improve their products.
Otis Bagotis is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:08 PM   #7
Simplicated
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Bagotis View Post
Adobe's crackdown on pirated software is the dumbest thing they've ever done. Those aren't necessarily lost sales. In fact most of those illegal downloads are keeping customers from buying a competitors product. And now more people are going to products like pixelmator and willingly paying the much lower price, which in turn gives pixelmator the capital to improve their products.
Honestly I think Adobe should stop caring about pirated software. Let the kids pirate it, learn it and fall in love with it. When they grow up and go to work, they will have to buy the genuine version.

Some of my friends did exactly that. Now they're clearly losing potential customers.

Last edited by Simplicated; May 9, 2013 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Clearing -> Clearly
Simplicated is online now   25 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:15 PM   #8
britboyj
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Honestly I think Adobe should stop caring about pirated software. Let the kids pirate it, learn it and fall in love with it. When they grow up and go to work, they will have to buy the genuine version.

Some of my friends did exactly that. Now they're clearing losing potential customers.
That's EXACTLY what I and every graphic designer I know did. Most parents aren't going to plunk down even $200 for the student version of Creative Suite when a comparable piece of software to them is $50 (a video game) or came with their computer. Even fewer high school students have the money to buy it themselves and by the time you're in college, it's almost too late.

Adobe is shooting themselves in the foot and I hope Pixelmator and/or Apple take them to town.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:26 PM   #9
ikir
macrumors 6502a

Best app

I use it since many years even for professional works. It is the best app I've ever used. Devs are also very communicative, friendly and the Pixelmator online community is already quite big, for example I check often pxm-tuts.com

Last edited by ikir; May 9, 2013 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Typo
ikir is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:32 PM   #10
SockRolid
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The software is becoming more and more powerful for image editors, while keeping its competitive price of $14.99 -- significantly less than Adobe's Photoshop, which the team considers its primary competitor.
Pixelmator rules.
Photoshop drools.

The only Photoshop I ever paid for was Photoshop Express, for Mac OS 9 way back in the day.
I would never have paid for the full version of Photoshop. Ever. Pixelmator does everything I need.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:48 PM   #11
Mr.damien

Quote:
Originally Posted by britboyj View Post
That's EXACTLY what I and every graphic designer I know did. Most parents aren't going to plunk down even $200 for the student version of Creative Suite when a comparable piece of software to them is $50 (a video game) or came with their computer. Even fewer high school students have the money to buy it themselves and by the time you're in college, it's almost too late.

Adobe is shooting themselves in the foot and I hope Pixelmator and/or Apple take them to town.
You mustn't be a professional Graphic Designer then, because even with the great latest improvement, Pixelmator is still not a replacement for any serious job.
  3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 01:51 PM   #12
bchery21
macrumors 6502

An average joe like me whose interested in photo editing would go with pixelmator rather than photoshop due to pricing alone...
bchery21 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 02:18 PM   #13
SeattleMoose
macrumors 6502a

Pixelmator is the most bang for the buck program I have EVER seen/used....BAR NONE!!!

I use it all the time and love it. Looking forward to the new features and tutorials!!! Thank you Pixelmator Team!!!
SeattleMoose is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 02:29 PM   #14
bigcat318
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Some of my friends did exactly that. Now they're clearly losing potential customers.
See Autodesk for the perfect example.

Free student versions of practically all (if not all) software. You have the future generation of professionals learning your software over a competitor's. When time comes to buy software, what do you think they will pick?
bigcat318 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:12 PM   #15
I WAS the one
macrumors 6502a

Even with the bugs and sometimes (not always) the laggy response when working on BIG BIG files. Pixelmator do the job perfectly.

I'm an Ex- CS3 user and I recommend this comment. LOL
Old May 9, 2013, 03:37 PM   #16
fivedots
macrumors 6502a

Definitely agree that for serious Photoshop users, there is no alternative. But this does look like a great piece of software for the casual user. Definitely interested in checking it out myself.

Now we just need a panaroma stitching tool that works well with Aperture. Currently using Photoshop which works brilliantly (well, not tightly integrated as with Lightroom), but it's really one of the few reasons I need Photoshop (or Elements). The fewer tools I need, the better.

Right now it's Aperture, Nik Silver Efex (Black & White), Nik Dfine (Noise Removal), Photoshop (Healing/Cloning, Stitching), and Photomatix (rare HDR).

Last edited by fivedots; May 9, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
fivedots is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:50 PM   #17
hipnetic
macrumors 6502a

Just bought this last week. Nice surprise to see a new update with lots of new features. If only there was a way for me to import my numerous Paint Shop Pro multi-layered files.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:53 PM   #18
firestarter
macrumors Demi-God

Needs 16 bit support for me to consider it over Photoshop unfortunately.

Hoping that will happen soon though...
firestarter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:42 PM   #19
rdthompson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivedots View Post
Definitely agree that for serious Photoshop users, there is no alternative. But this does look like a great piece of software for the casual user. Definitely interested in checking it out myself.

Now we just need a panaroma stitching tool that works well with Aperture. Currently using Photoshop which works brilliantly (well, not tightly integrated as with Lightroom), but it's really one of the few reasons I need Photoshop (or Elements). The fewer tools I need, the better.

Right now it's Aperture, Nik Silver Efex (Black & White), Nik Dfine (Noise Removal), Photoshop (Healing/Cloning, Stitching), and Photomatix (rare HDR).
I can't dump photoshop because of the layering mostly. But I use PT GUI for all my stitching. It works when photoshop sometimes couldn't. Also great tools.
rdthompson is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 10:13 PM   #20
splitpea
macrumors 6502a

Sounds like layer styles are coming later this year. That plus nested layer sets, and I can ditch photoshop entirely.

Now if only someone would come up with something as competitive for illustrator and a tool that duplicates dreamweaver's DOM-parsing search and replace....

Can't wait for the day when it's buh-bye to Adobe for good.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:28 PM   #21
skellener
macrumors 65816

Pixelmator has been doing it right. Build a base of loyal customers and don't gouge them. Adobe in one feel swoop drastically raised their prices (yes - RAISED prices) on loyal customers and have taken away the choice of when to upgrade from them. Locking your customers into a pay forever scheme will not win you loyalty - ever. Go Pixelmator!!
Old May 9, 2013, 10:42 PM   #22
Toltepeceno
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

It has nothing to do with pirated software. The "cloud" based programs are not really cloud based, you still download and install them locally. Pirates will just find a way to stop the program from "calling home" as they did with windows activation.
Old May 9, 2013, 11:38 PM   #23
britboyj
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.damien View Post
You mustn't be a professional Graphic Designer then, because even with the great latest improvement, Pixelmator is still not a replacement for any serious job.
Way to judge, bro.

No, I am a professional and while Pixelmator absolutely does not replace Photoshop yet, it's well on its way. This is their window. I hope they take it.
Old May 10, 2013, 01:32 AM   #24
Manderby
macrumors 6502

Pixelmator is good for casual editing.

Photoshop plays in a whole different league.

The creators of Pixelmator did a great job to make image editing easy for casual editors. Really. This software is very good and makes perfect use of all the technologies available in Mac OS X.

But it is also bound by these technologies. Photohop is mostly unbounded, they implemented everything in-house. That's the reason why Pixelmator will never be a replacement to photoshop. So far, it's unreachable.

I presume after more than 5 years, being bound to technologies starts to make it very hard for the developers.
Manderby is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 01:34 AM   #25
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitpea View Post
Sounds like layer styles are coming later this year. That plus nested layer sets, and I can ditch photoshop entirely.

Now if only someone would come up with something as competitive for illustrator and a tool that duplicates dreamweaver's DOM-parsing search and replace....

Can't wait for the day when it's buh-bye to Adobe for good.
I don't know the tool you're talking about, so I'm probably talking nonsense, but wouldn't any text editor that supports regexp based find-and-replace do what you need, regarding the DOM parsing?
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion