Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pitagora

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Hi,
I intend to buy a couple of emac units, maybe 10-15 and I am planning to open in my country, which is Romania a Internet caffe where I plan not to do hardcore gaming, insteed a nice place where people can meet, drink a coffee/ tea, discuss, surf the web for news and maybe some soft gaming, so here comes the problem, cause I am not familiarize with the PPC arhitecture( I have a 2009 Mac Pro for myself), if I can run counter-strike, warcraft 3/ dota maps, starcraft 1 on some emac which I planning to buy from ebay. I intend to upgrade them as much as I can, 2 gb ram, 250 hard, other things I don't know if I can do.
I expect from you some advices and I wish to you all the best wishes from Romania.

pistooli

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
Hungary
I think eMacs are not up to the standard of today's Internet. I am saying this as an eMac owner and I love the machine. Also they are loud...

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Depends on the eMac. The range from 700MHz to twice that, at 1.42 GHz.

Counter Strike looks like it had a Mac port developed in 2013. It being that new, I doubt that it would work on an eMac.

Pitagora

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2012
Regarding counter strike, I don't refer to global waring which is new, I know, I mean it cs1.6 which is very old, maybe 6-8 years?
Anyway I saw that you can still play FIFA 2011 on PowerPC, would this work too on emac?
Can I install leopard, or tiger on these machines? I am not familiar with these versions, cause my first touch with Mac OS was snow leopard, so I ask you on tiger/leopard is there any change to install windows xp via bootcamp?

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania
Pitagora, contact me on a private message if you need help with anything. You can also contact me on macuser via the same username i have here. And since we both speak the same language, it might be easier for you.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
Let's be completely honest here...
First of all: PowerPC Macs aren't made for todays internet. You can create your own solutions to get it all working, but popular sites like Facebook and Youtube won't function in a good way and it will all be quite slow.

CS 1.6 never made it to the Macintosh and neither did any of the others. The eMac isn't very well suited for gaming except for when it comes to really old games.

Bootcamp didn't exist during the PowerPC era, the only way to run Windows is trough VirtualPC and it is terribly slow and tedious.

You might be able to run 10.5 on your eMacs, but keep in mind that 10.5 is stone age technology by today.

My suggestion to you would be to find some early Intel iMacs, as they are quite cheap by todays standards, and you might even be able to install CS 1.6 using Bootcamp.

Im not saying this because i don't believe in PowerPC (i do!) but I'm thinking about your customers and how frustrated they will get trying to use your systems (and let's not even begin talking about the huge loss of profits) and that wouldn't be good for business.

Albert

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
First of all: PowerPC Macs aren't made for todays internet. You can create your own solutions to get it all working, but popular sites like Facebook and Youtube won't function in a good way and it will all be quite slow.

CS 1.6 never made it to the Macintosh and neither did any of the others. The eMac isn't very well suited for gaming except for when it comes to really old games.

Bootcamp didn't exist during the PowerPC era, the only way to run Windows is trough VirtualPC and it is terribly slow and tedious.

You might be able to run 10.5 on your eMacs, but keep in mind that 10.5 is stone age technology by today.

My suggestion to you would be to find some early Intel iMacs, as they are quite cheap by todays standards, and you might even be able to install CS 1.6 using Bootcamp.

Im not saying this because i don't believe in PowerPC (i do!) but I'm thinking about your customers and how frustrated they will get trying to use your systems (and let's not even begin talking about the huge loss of profits) and that wouldn't be good for business.

Albert

"Insert benine powerpc rules and you suck comment here"

I too was thinking this, powerpc is great if one user can really get to know a computer and all of its faults and how to get past them. but If I were to walk into a internet cafe I expect to be able to just pull up a chair go onto facebook youtube straight up from the latest browser. and not have to take some dip$#!^ class on how to look "past" the computers faults and do "workarounds

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Anyway I saw that you can still play FIFA 2011 on PowerPC, would this work too on emac?
Source? It wasn't released on Mac OS X at all altgough you can run it in a windows wrapper (under Intel only, of course).

This just doesn't sound smart. You don't want to tell your customers "sorry, our computers are too old to run software_here", nor do you want them to think your computers are slow or outdated.

IMO the best path to take would be to pick up some Core2Duo boxes, install windows 7 and a small SSD in each. You'll have responsive machines, running a familiar OS without having to worrying about software compatibility.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013

yes, honesty is always a good thing.... however:

Not a very honest statement/s.... The internet is really fast on this powerbook, with torrents I get 2-3 MB/s download speed.

Also Facebook *might* be 1-2 seconds slower to download than my mbook. After it loads, it's as fast as anything else. (This while downloading HD movies from transmission while listening to spotify and having skype in the background)

I really can't do 1080p youtube, that's like impossible on this 1.67Ghz powerbook. But I certainly can do 360p/480p in the browser and 720p in XBMC. But overall responsiveness is quite fast. (Webkit)

This 10.5 stoneage system feels a whole lot fresher than win 7... specially with the mountain lion theme.

Im not saying this because i don't believe in PowerPC (i do!)

Albert

Sure you do :p

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I've read all the posts on this thread, but didn't have anything to add. Until now.

To the OP: As you probably already know, the success of a new business -- any new business -- depends a great deal on first impressions. Word-of-mouth also goes a long way.

Even with all the work-arounds suggested here, the last thing you need is people complaining that they're unhappy with your computers' performance, particularly since you're describing your business as an Internet Cafe.

Also, upgraded PowerPCs, though they may initially provide adequate performance for some, will never be more powerful or faster than they are now on virtually all tasks moving forward. This has little to do with how well PowerPCs work for an ever-shrinking population of those of us who've upgraded and retasked our PowerPCs for specific applications. You might find yourself looking to upgrade several rigs at once in a very short period of time.

My point: I'm starting a new business, I want everything to be running well and smoothly right out of the gate.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland

Albert

So is XP yet it was the most widely used consumer OS last August but is now at about 35% marketshare over a decade after it's release.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
yes, honesty is always a good thing.... however:

Not a very honest statement/s.... The internet is really fast on this powerbook, with torrents I get 2-3 MB/s download speed.

If either of those statements were dishonest it would be yours. Einstein was pretty clear that by today's Internet, he didn't mean Internet speeds- he meant overall performance of sites- which has little to do with torrent speed. Performance of sites is (far) below what a paying customer would expect. And speed isn't all- how are you going to tell them "to view a video on YouTube, hold the control key while clicking anywhere but the video and choose open in QuickTime, click ok, go to view- full screen". That simply isn't acceptable.

This 10.5 stoneage system feels a whole lot fresher than win 7... specially with the mountain lion theme.

Sure you do :p

Good luck telling the person who can't do xyz that it "feels fresh". It's not, and it shows in the software compatibility department.

----------

So is XP yet it was the most widely used consumer OS last August but is now at about 35% marketshare over a decade after it's release.

Because of its market share, XP still is a supported platform and it has software developed for it. Leo does not command that kind of market share, so it is unsupported, less secure, and has very few Applications developed for it.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
If either of those statements were dishonest it would be yours. Einstein was pretty clear that by today's Internet, he didn't mean Internet speeds- he meant overall performance of sites- which has little to do with torrent speed. Performance of sites is (far) below what a paying customer would expect. And speed isn't all- how are you going to tell them "to view a video on YouTube, hold the control key while clicking anywhere but the video and choose open in QuickTime, click ok, go to view- full screen". That simply isn't acceptable.

Good luck telling the person who can't do xyz that it "feels fresh". It's not, and it shows in the software compatibility department.

----------

Because of its market share, XP still is a supported platform and it has software developed for it. Leo does not command that kind of market share, so it is unsupported, less secure, and has very few Applications developed for it.

Hi.

You clearly didnt read my entire post, or at least didn't understand the facebook comment I did. Of course I know he was talking about general performance with java, flash etc.

Like I said, facebook is as fast as any other computer.... and for me, also google maps, mail, etc are all just fine! I think you are using an older powerpc as a benchmark for the entire powerpc product line, which isn't quite fair. I dont have to ctrl-click because I can have two finger-secondary click on the powerbook's trackpad and beside I just leave all youtube videos to play 480p flash or html5, both actually work fine.

I'm sure the best powerpc will perform even better than my pb... it's all relative.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
Hi.

You clearly didnt read my entire post, or at least didn't understand the facebook comment I did. Of course I know he was talking about general performance with java, flash etc.

Like I said, facebook is as fast as any other computer.... and for me, also google maps, mail, etc are all just fine! I think you are using an older powerpc as a benchmark for the entire powerpc product line, which isn't quite fair. I dont have to ctrl-click because I can have two finger-secondary click on the powerbook's trackpad and beside I just leave all youtube videos to play 480p flash or html5, both actually work fine.

I'm sure the best powerpc will perform even better than my pb... it's all relative.

You might be fine with your PowerBook, but we're talking about eMacs. And once again; my point was about plug and play. PowerPC won't give the casual visitors the speed and reliability that Intel-machines can provide, end of discussion.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
The Internet Cafes I encountered overseas were smoky places with guys surfing away on the Internet pretending to be women to try and get men to send Western Unions. I think eMacs would work fine for that. But gaming? No way.

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
You might be fine with your PowerBook, but we're talking about eMacs. And once again; my point was about plug and play. PowerPC won't give the casual visitors the speed and reliability that Intel-machines can provide, end of discussion.

Yes, I didn't object to the first reply of emacs being too slow, but the second reply was for labeling the entire powerpc as a whole of being uncapable of running the 'net.

Mind I've had most of apple product line, and I honestly haven't touched my macbook 17" since getting this DLHR 15" powerbook. I use heavy java websites for flight planning and coordinating mass & balance and performance calc. with OPS which in turn is transfered to my EFB (electronic flight bag). It works fine on the powerbook. Same goes for my synthetic procedural flight training. I use x-plane 10 on macbook but x-plane 9 is almost as good a platform and it works fine on the powerbook.

I have yet to find something I really CANT do on this machine.
The biggest issue is that things work fine now, but I don't know what the future have in store...maybe they will be completely worthless in 2 more years, who knows?

Last edited:

MrPilot

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2013
so, like a conclusion, imac intel 17-19 would handle these tasks?

Btw, the two biggest issues with powermacs in cyber cafes are:

1. The future.... new internet standards/protocols not yet implemented might render this unsupported platform useless. (New java, flash, etc)

2. Youtube in HD.... however do you have enough power to provide say 10 computers at the same time with enough bandwidth to stream HD?

Those are the two things I believe nobody can fix

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Counter Strike in any form won't work.

Warcraft 3 works at lower resolutions and detail settings on my 1GHz eMac with a 32MB Radeon 7500.

Unreal Tournament works well, Quake 1,2,3 do, UT2004 can play small games and low settings.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Hi.

Then how come you instead used BitTorrent download speed as your benchmark?

Like I said, facebook is as fast as any other computer.... and for me, also google maps, mail, etc are all just fine!
I think you are using an older powerpc as a benchmark for the entire powerpc product line, which isn't quite fair.

No, I'm using the second fastest PowerPC ever made, a dual 2.7 G5.

I dont have to ctrl-click because I can have two finger-secondary click on the powerbook's trackpad and beside I just leave all youtube videos to play 480p flash or html5, both actually work fine.

I was using the steps from the QTE plugin for TenFourFox. It opens the video in Quicktime, which is faster than HTML5 or Flash. Faster is useful if you want to view videos at higher than 480p.

And even the best eMac will not perform as well as it.

----------

I have yet to find something I really CANT do on this machine.
The biggest issue is that things work fine now, but I don't know what the future have in store...maybe they will be completely worthless in 2 more years, who knows?

You just did- X-Plane 10. Also- Google voice, Google Plus video chat, Java 1.6/7 (which will prevent Minecraft and Facebook video chat from running- I'm fine with this). Picasa- no. MS Word 2011- no. New versions of Blender- no.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Hi.

yes but the op was looking for something that could do light gaming. here we have quake 4 which was regared as one of the best looking games of 2004 with texture mods at max settings . given this is the kind of gaming powerpc can offer and I myself have spent many weeks playing on its large multiplayer base that is still very active with mods and clans and stuff

System specs 2.5Ghz quad g5 16-gb ram 7800 512mb card

Quake4_2012_08_24_18_10_46_528.jpg

and here we have metro last light a game that is destined to win about as many awards as quake 4 did in 2004. running on medium settings it looks damn tasty running on my i5 specs in sig

metro-last-light-1.png

Now trolls may ask "Why Kull are you comparing two totally different gens of gaming" the reason being that its all about what kids/teens of today would expect to be able to play if they walked into a "modern" internet cafe. No kid is going to say to his friends hey you wanna go play quake live at that internet cafe. No sir they are going to go down there play crysis and call of duty. And no respectable business would ever even consider using powerpc to this day. even core 2 duo imac are out because of the horrid graphics card

just my 2 cents

crewkid89

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
United States
I have never been to an internet cafe. Are they meant for heavy duty gaming as some have suggested here or just for light web browsing and work?

If they are more for work and browsing then I feel like that for the same price you could get 10 good condition, 1.42ghz eMacs with maxed ram, you could probably get 10 Core 2 Duo Desktops 2gb and some used monitors. You could run a linux distro on them and run chrome in kiosk mode. They could be set to wipe all browsing data when the person logs out.

This would probably be much more secure and cost effective for a public computing space and would be similar to how college campuses have public computing spaces set up.

AlbertEinstein

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
I have never been to an internet cafe. Are they meant for heavy duty gaming as some have suggested here or just for light web browsing and work?

If they are more for work and browsing then I feel like that for the same price you could get 10 good condition, 1.42ghz eMacs with maxed ram, you could probably get 10 Core 2 Duo Desktops 2gb and some used monitors. You could run a linux distro on them and run chrome in kiosk mode. They could be set to wipe all browsing data when the person logs out.

This would probably be much more secure and cost effective for a public computing space and would be similar to how college campuses have public computing spaces set up.

Minus the eMacs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.