Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I've placed an order with Amazon for a 30GB black iPod (5G).( I have a long ways to wait, but thats cool.)

Now I'm considering the 60GB since it has the 64MB cache, and consequently, longer battery life.

My attraction to the 30GB is it's slimmer size, and obviously, the $100 difference.

What are your thoughts or recommendations?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Keeping in mind future-proofing (which you can only do so much of, of course) what are your capacity requirements? Is the minimal size difference really that big of a deal? Do you absolutely need that maximum battery life, or will you be recharging it constantly regardless?

You have to decide what features you value over others - capacity, battery life, cost and size are the key ones in this instance.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
neonart said:
My attraction to the 30GB is it's slimmer size.
The slimness is what sold me on the 30GB, and I thought my 20GB 4G was alerady pretty slim compared to all the full-size models after it! I was seriously considering a 4GB nano and went for the 30GB.

B

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
When I look at it, I figure I'm not going to be making a big purchase like a laptop or an iPod for a few years, so, barring serious disparity in price or lack thereof in specs, I always go for the bigger/better. I fugre that way it will be future-proofed in all respects. With my PowerBook, I really didn't need more than a 12" iBook, but I figured I wouldn't be buying another computer for some time, that it would be my only computer, and that as I had the money I might as well get the pimped out 15" to last me awhile. With the iPod, the 60 GB isn't much thicker than the 30 GB, the battery lasts almost 50% longer, it holds twice as much, and costs not too much more; if you buy from Apple.com educational store, it's even a bit less. My point in all the rambling is go for the 60 GB. :)

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
balamw said:
The slimness is what sold me on the 30GB, and I thought my 20GB 4G was alerady pretty slim compared to all the full-size models after it! I was seriously considering a 4GB nano and went for the 30GB.

B

ditto

bepster

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
I went with the 60, cause I am travelling a lot and if my ipod would die on my just over Island... I would certainly go with it!!

...and the of course, havin the possibility to put not just my music- but also my movie-library on it?? Now that's an argument!!

go big!!

...even though I must say, I am a little worried about the colour... I chose black and obviously a scratch-armageddon is headed my way...:(

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
It all really depends on your needs. If you have over 20 GB of data, go for the 60 GB. I find the battery life on the 30 GB to be pretty good. If you have less than 20GB of data and want longer battery life, buy the 30 GB and when external batteries for the 5G are released, buy one.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
bepster said:
...and the of course, havin the possibility to put not just my music- but also my movie-library on it?? Now that's an argument!!

And your photo library, backup data, podcasts, calendars, and address book.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Well... read my Sig.

Storage and battery life did it. But let me tell you, the slimness of the 30GB was really holding me back at the store for like 8 minutes. Seriously, the 30 is beautiful! But function outdid form on this one for me.

It just finished synchronizing... gotta go watch a movie or something.

:D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
neonart said:
Well... read my Sig.

Storage and battery life did it. But let me tell you, the slimness of the 30GB was really holding me back at the store for like 8 minutes. Seriously, the 30 is beautiful! But function outdid form on this one for me.

It just finished synchronizing... gotta go watch a movie or something.

:D

Well, I hope we were able to help you somewhat.... :eek: ;) And I hope that you won't regret your purchase, as I don't see any reason why you should. Enjoy! :cool:

neonart

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
~Shard~ said:
Well, I hope we were able to help you somewhat.... :eek: ;) And I hope that you won't regret your purchase, as I don't see any reason why you should. Enjoy! :cool:

I think you guys were of great help! Thank you.

I'm really digging music videos and Ads that have music... very cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.