Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 9, 2013, 10:20 PM   #1
JohnSFO
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Lightbulb Physical changes to the next iPad Mini (A wish list)

We all want retina display, a faster chip, and an updated OS in the next iPad Mini, but what physical changes would you like to see on the next generation device? Presumably someone at Apple (Hi Apple person!) is reading this, so let them know what's on your wish list.

Here's a few that I came up with:

1. Smooth out the sharp edges. It's a gorgeous device...an absolute home run, but when I lean the Mini against my thumb and index finger it really leaves a mark. Anytime you have to shift something because of discomfort there's probably room for improvement.

2. Keep working at that fingerprint-less glass. The Mini is easy to clean and is leaps and bounds better than my iPad 1 when it comes to smudging, but it still could be improved upon.

Anyone else have some ideas on how to make the iPad Mini even better?
JohnSFO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 04:59 AM   #2
BigBeast
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
More RAM- I'd be thrilled if they put 2GB in there, but I expect Apple to keep it at the lousy 512MB, or a bump to 1GB.

I'd also like to see digitizer support– which of course, won't be there. It'd be great if I could open a writing app that only accepts input from the stylus. This would allow you to rest your palm on the screen for comfortable note taking without having to worry about the problems caused by errant palm input.
__________________
2012 cMBP 2.6GHz Core i7 16gb 512 SSD iPhone 6 Plus iPad Air
BigBeast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 05:12 AM   #3
AnorexicPig
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Winnipeg,Canada/New Delhi India
I know this thread is about physical changes, but knowing Apple, there won't be any.And I find it perfect (IMO).

What I see is an A6 or A6X to drive a retina display,1GB Ram and Retina display-and well I know atleast 6-7 people who would jump on it (me included ).
__________________
MacBook Pro 13" with Retina Display- Late 2013 2.4/8/256, iPhone 6 64GB Space Gray
AnorexicPig is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:23 AM   #4
donnaw
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austin TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnorexicPig View Post
I know this thread is about physical changes, but knowing Apple, there won't be any.And I find it perfect (IMO).

What I see is an A6 or A6X to drive a retina display,1GB Ram and Retina display-and well I know atleast 6-7 people who would jump on it (me included ).
I certainly would too. In fact, I would gladly have just the better processor and RAM. I want a mini but I had so much trouble with my iPad 2 due to low memory crashes I upgraded to to 3 just for the RAM bump. I doubt the mini (in it's current configuration) would serve me any better. So no RAM bump, no mini for me. Sigh.....
donnaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 10:51 AM   #5
AQUADock
macrumors 65816
 
AQUADock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I doubt the the 2nd gen mini will look any different than the current model, however the thickness might change if it gets a retina screen.
__________________
Mac Mini i5 - iPad 2 - GS3
AQUADock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 06:15 PM   #6
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
The thickness will change for it to get Retina.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:18 PM   #7
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
The thickness will change for it to get Retina.
The thickness changed for the full iPad by .03", which is essentially imperceptible. The iPhone actually got thinner when retina was added. I doubt the thickness for the mini will change significantly when Apple adds retina.
__________________
13" 2009 MBP, 2.26 GHz C2D, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HDD; 2.2 GHz C2D MB, 6 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD; 32 GB iPod Touch 3G
-FWIW, my handle is iThink_ergo_iMac. There seems to be some confusion on this issue.-
iThinkergoiMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:11 PM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by iThinkergoiMac View Post
The thickness changed for the full iPad by .03", which is essentially imperceptible. The iPhone actually got thinner when retina was added. I doubt the thickness for the mini will change significantly when Apple adds retina.
The iPhone got thinner because it wasn't a rectangle to begin with, the Mini is. The iPhone $ was thinner at the center, but thicker at the sides. There is no curved back to get rid of; so it will get thicker and heavier all the way across. How much so depends on what battery tech they employ.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:57 PM   #9
TyPod
macrumors 68000
 
TyPod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: And Yourself?
I personally love the current design of the iPad Mini, and don't have any real complaints on what to change for the next revision. That being said, I agree with most here saying that the next generation Mini will very likely not have any design revisions.
__________________
01010100 01111001 01101100 01100101 01110010 00100000 01001100 01101001 01100100 01100100 01101001 01100011 01101111 01100001 01110100 powerhourplaylists.com
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 04:18 AM   #10
xDKP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Don't really have any design changes, but would like Apple to make the Smart Case for the mini. I have done the second best thing and put on a Coverbuddy back and Smart Cover front but still.

Oh yes, A6 and more ram please
xDKP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Oppressed
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
iPads still don't need home buttons, but having it on the iPhone and not on the iPad would create confusion for the consumers, but it's still a dream.
Oppressed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 10:47 AM   #12
Bear
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Sol III - Terra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
iPads still don't need home buttons, but having it on the iPhone and not on the iPad would create confusion for the consumers, but it's still a dream.
And what would replace the home button? If you're thinking a gesture (or gestures) on the display, I dislike this because if you hit the gesture wrong, you could do something in the active app that you didn't want to do.

A home button is easy to use, try explaining more gestures to older parents and grandparents.
__________________
-----Bear
Bear is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:11 AM   #13
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
And what would replace the home button? If you're thinking a gesture (or gestures) on the display, I dislike this because if you hit the gesture wrong, you could do something in the active app that you didn't want to do.

A home button is easy to use, try explaining more gestures to older parents and grandparents.
Wasn't that hard to explain, depends on your student. My parents found it very east to understand how you an pinch a screen of photos with two fingers to slide them back to a stack. and if you use all five of them, like you are balling up a piece of paper, it goes back home.

I could see them moving it to the slide or even making it part of other buttons. Like to activate Siri there is a tap or you could press both volume buttons together. Screenshot might be power and the same or power and one volume (just like either volume in the camera app takes a photo) and so on.

Given that button failure for all of them seems to be a major problem they are likely going to do something to change them or have alternative ways of doing functions.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:13 AM   #14
xDKP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Wasn't that hard to explain, depends on your student. My parents found it very east to understand how you an pinch a screen of photos with two fingers to slide them back to a stack. and if you use all five of them, like you are balling up a piece of paper, it goes back home.

I could see them moving it to the slide or even making it part of other buttons. Like to activate Siri there is a tap or you could press both volume buttons together. Screenshot might be power and the same or power and one volume (just like either volume in the camera app takes a photo) and so on.

Given that button failure for all of them seems to be a major problem they are likely going to do something to change them or have alternative ways of doing functions.
I have had a series of app crashes where my five finger gesture doesn't work, but the home button does...

I'm all in for no home button, but then the gesture needs to be as efficient when apps crash
xDKP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:48 AM   #15
Oppressed
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Also in cell digitizer would actually be higher on my list than retina display.
Oppressed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:19 PM   #16
Fattytail
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
Also in cell digitizer would actually be higher on my list than retina display.
Lol, I think you might be alone on that one, buddy.
Fattytail is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:33 PM   #17
charlituna
macrumors G3
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oppressed View Post
Also in cell digitizer would actually be higher on my list than retina display.
If in cell means stylus points can be a finer tip then I'm all for that. To me the iPad mini display is fine as it is. It's not that far off retina anyway.why bulk it up, add stress to battery etc for a small change when there are other more functional changes that might be better to add first.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 01:49 PM   #18
tazz3
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
i also want more ram the ipad 3 and 4 have 1 gig and the mini has 512
i would like to see 1 gig in the mini and 2 gigs in the ipad 5
tazz3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 03:28 PM   #19
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a
 
A Hebrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Minnesota
I have a mini (Which is going to be sold) and the only flaw I see with it is the screen quality. More RAM at the current time is not necessary nor is a better processor. Then again, I do not think I will ever buy another mini again since I do enjoy the iPad much more...
__________________
2012 13" MacBook Air | 2012 27" iMac | iPad 3 | iPhone 5
A Hebrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 03:53 PM   #20
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
If in cell means stylus points can be a finer tip then I'm all for that. To me the iPad mini display is fine as it is. It's not that far off retina anyway.why bulk it up, add stress to battery etc for a small change when there are other more functional changes that might be better to add first.
In-cell will make it thinner and more responsive. Just about that. It may also improve the display quality.
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 04:24 PM   #21
ImpKali
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
It needs a volume rocker in the vein of the full size iPad, and all the buttons need to stand out a little bit more. I found the model I tried was a little uncomfortable to work with in that regard. Nothing deal-breaking, but I suppose I might notice it over time.

As for physical specs, I say give it the same processor that will be used in the next full iPad (A7? A7x?) and at least 1 GB of RAM. If the processor would not be possible, the processor in the current full size iPad would suffice (A6x). Also, a Retina display would be nice.
__________________
Desktop: AMD FX 8350, 16 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, NVIDIA GT610, OpenSUSE 12.3
iDevices: iPad 2 32GB WiFi, iPhone 4S 16GB
ImpKali is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:01 PM   #22
JohnSFO
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpKali View Post
It needs a volume rocker in the vein of the full size iPad, and all the buttons need to stand out a little bit more. I found the model I tried was a little uncomfortable to work with in that regard. Nothing deal-breaking, but I suppose I might notice it over time.
I agree with this. The buttons are just a little bit too recessed and on the curve of the casing. Not a huge deal, but could be improved. This is what I was after when I originally started the topic...design/usage elements that Apple might like to hear about.
JohnSFO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:20 PM   #23
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
I want a coffee brewer built-in, just like the pomegranate phone.
ritmomundo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:41 PM   #24
pod5g
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
What will probably happen-

RAM bumped up to 1 GB
Retina display added
A5X processor used
iPad similar to- 3rd generation

Currently, the iPad mini is like a small iPad 2. Next year, it will become a small 3rd generation iPad.
__________________
iPad (3rd generation)- iOS 6.1.3- 64 GB- Stock
iPod touch 3G- iOS 5.1.1- 64 GB- Jailbroken
iPod touch 5G- iOS 6.1.2- 32 GB- Stock
iPod nano 3G- 8 GB
pod5g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2013, 01:14 PM   #25
Defender2010
macrumors 68000
 
Defender2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by pod5g View Post
What will probably happen-

RAM bumped up to 1 GB
Retina display added
A5X processor used
iPad similar to- 3rd generation

Currently, the iPad mini is like a small iPad 2. Next year, it will become a small 3rd generation iPad.
More likely A6X. I think Apple wants to forget about the 3rd gen iPad....
__________________
W2P KLD talking...what's your handle, WR2 GFO?
Defender2010 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Is iPad Mini and Mini Retina the same physical size? nlkccom iPad 3 Nov 12, 2013 06:56 PM
Another iPad Mini Physical Mockup on Video MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 265 Nov 26, 2012 01:58 PM
Hands-On Video with 'iPad Mini' Physical Mockup MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 97 Sep 22, 2012 04:22 AM
'iPad Mini' Physical Mockup Surfaces Again...in Black MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 52 Sep 19, 2012 01:54 PM
Homemade physical iPad Mini mock-up (Photos and iPhone and iPad comparison) anti-microsoft iPad 2 Aug 15, 2012 02:35 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC