Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

akoumarina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
So about a month ago I bought a refurbished ipod touch 4g 32 gen, and it has been giving me problems. I tried to back it up on iCloud but it turns out my old photos and notes didnt back up. I was planning to do another back up but then in the morning after I charged it, it shut off when I turned it on and it was on the connect to itunes screen. I can plug it into itunes and restore it but I do not want to loose my files.

I have also tried holding the home and power button, I have tried everything possible and wathed so many videos. I do not want to download any software.

Does anyone know why this is happening? And everytime I hold them down it just shows the apple logo and then shuts off and never comes back on.

Please help me, I would like to know any other techniques to do without loosing my files..

I also do not know if it was jailbroken. There was no Cydia or any apps other than the standard on there. Please help.

Thank you in advance..
Goodnight

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
Well it looks like you'll have to restore it.
And how much personal info can you have on a month old device that has been giving you problems most of the time? I'd suggest restoring because it seems there's a problem with the software.

akoumarina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Well it looks like you'll have to restore it.
And how much personal info can you have on a month old device that has been giving you problems most of the time? I'd suggest restoring because it seems there's a problem with the software.

Quite a lot Sir. I had a second generation iPod and had a repair company transfer my files to a newer version. I backed up through iCloud but it doesnt back up anything I need it to.

Thanks for your help, unfortunately I am going to keep searching for another solution besides restoring it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
iCloud doesn't backup photos, videos or music.

Try iExplorer, but it sounds like it's in DFU restore mode so there's pretty much no chance to back it up now. iOS whatever version the iPod Touch 4G needs, has to be installed.

FYI anytime you buy a used bit of tech always do a fresh OS install.

peejay3

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Bad cable? Lint?

Same thing happened to me. Took it to the genius bar:apple: and they found out my cable was bad and/or there was lint in the connector socket. :)

akoumarina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
Thank you so much, for all of your help. I am alittle upset about no more chances but I will figure out how to cope with it.

Thanks again for the program and everything.

And Peejay, that is a miracle, it would be great if that was my problem. Unfortunately itunes does recognize it and tells me to restore it.

----------

iCloud doesn't backup photos, videos or music.

Try iExplorer, but it sounds like it's in DFU restore mode so there's pretty much no chance to back it up now. iOS whatever version the iPod Touch 4G needs, has to be installed.

FYI anytime you buy a used bit of tech always do a fresh OS install.

Another Question for you, iTunes says I can update it on May 15, what happens when I update it through itunes. Is it going to stay in DFU mode or what will happen? And will it restore automatically? ive never done this before.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It'll download and install the latest iOS for the iPod, then iTunes will attempt to restore to the latest backup (if any). If no backup was ever made then it'll start setup just like a new iPod. Enter your Apple ID and it should resync to iCloud.

akoumarina

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2012
It'll download and install the latest iOS for the iPod, then iTunes will attempt to restore to the latest backup (if any). If no backup was ever made then it'll start setup just like a new iPod. Enter your Apple ID and it should resync to iCloud.

Thank you for your help, I did do a backup on iCloud and then I went to bed and in the morning it was stuck like this. When you say latest backup, does that mean my files will still be there? And also, iCloud did not back up anything other than my contacts. But I need my notes,photos and apps. Although I can redownload apps from the purchase section in the App Store. My notes and photos are my main concern, iCloud did not do a good job backing up my iPod. I really hope there is atleast one solution to solving this problem. If I can get my notes and photos then I can restore my iPod and get it fixed.

Last edited:

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Thank you for your help, I did do a backup on iCloud and then I went to bed and in the morning it was stuck like this. When you say latest backup, does that mean my files will still be there? And also, iCloud did not back up anything other than my contacts. But I need my notes,photos and apps. Although I can redownload apps from the purchase section in the App Store. My notes and photos are my main concern, iCloud did not do a good job backing up my iPod. I really hope there is atleast one solution to solving this problem. If I can get my notes and photos then I can restore my iPod and get it fixed.

Your purchases are part of your Apple ID, they'll be available for redownload in updates/purchased. Your notes, contacts, calendars etc... should be in iCloud, login to http://www.icloud.com to see from any browser. If your notes aren't there then they weren't setup to sync and are likely gone.

Your photos use PhotoStream, if you didn't set it up or do a local iTunes backup then they're probably gone. PhotoStream isn't really a backup though, more a sharing service.

Hint, there's a great paid photo app called PhotoSync which lets you sync / backup your photos to almost anything. It won't do it automatically though.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.