Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_11_icon.jpg
In an interview with CNN Money, Microsoft chief financial officer Tami Reller said that Microsoft has talked to Apple about creating an iTunes app for Windows 8, but that users shouldn't expect it to arrive anytime soon.
"You shouldn't expect an iTunes app on Windows 8 any time soon," said Tami Reller, chief financial officer of Microsoft's Windows division. "ITunes is in high demand. The welcome mat has been laid out. It's not for lack of trying."
Currently, iTunes 11 is available for Windows 8's "Desktop" mode, which is a traditional PC interface within Windows 8 that works well with a keyboard and mouse. Microsoft, however, wants Apple to create an iTunes app for what was once known as its "Metro" interface, which features flat, colorful blocks optimized for touchscreen devices.

windows_8_metro_start.jpg
Windows 8 "Metro" start screen
CNN Money notes that Windows tablet users are likely the ones who are requesting an iTunes app for the operating system, as well as users looking through Microsoft's app store within Windows 8. However, the report also note that Apple is unlikely to fulfill Microsoft's request because "there's no reason for Apple to help make the Surface a better product."

Article Link: Microsoft Admits an iTunes 'Metro' App for Windows 8 Not Coming 'Any Time Soon'

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
do pc's still come with itunes?

i remember when i bought my first brand new computer, it was an hp pavilion media center pc 2005, it had itunes on it lol

pancakedrawer

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2010
Melbourne
iTunes for OSX is in greater need of an overhaul.

Google products look better on iOS than android. I'd bet iTunes would look better on metro than OSX

allistera

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
More than likely the way iTunes is ported across from OSX to Windows would make it extremely difficult to turn it into a metro app, to a point where it would be easier to start from scratch. Especially when iTunes follows no Metro style guidelines at all.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
A big shame for them who want it, especially since I thought it would be in Apple's best interest to make sure the next generation tablet PCs are compatible with iDevices.

Good job I have no desire for iTunes at all.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
People actually use Windows 8?

This.

Although I have to admit that I haven't tried it on a tablet or touchscreen. But when I ran it for a while it was the worst OS I have used in the 20-30 years I have been using computers.

camnchar

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Microsoft pleading with Apple to make software for their operating system? My, how the worm has turned.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
More than likely the way iTunes is ported across from OSX to Windows would make it extremely difficult to turn it into a metro app, to a point where it would be easier to start from scratch. Especially when iTunes follows no Metro style guidelines at all.

True. And why build on something that may not have a future? Most people I know who use Windows 8 say they hate it. Some have managed to hack it and restore the Start button to make it more useful.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I understand why Apple might be doing this, but I don't agree with it. Perhaps it's because MS is dragging their heels with an Office for iOS app? In the end, consumers are the ones who suffer.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

There was an article that Windows 8 gives the continuous "sold vs. shipped" debate a whole new meaning: There are estimates that of 100 million of Windows 8 copies _sold_ (and paid for) only about a third are actually shipped. That would be PC makers having to pay Microsoft for Windows 8 but then shipping the computer with Windows 7 because that is what the customer wants.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
This.

Although I have to admit that I haven't tried it on a tablet or touchscreen. But when I ran it for a while it was the worst OS I have used in the 20-30 years I have been using computers.

yea it's definitely not worse than using windows ME / 95 nowadays, but I hear you.

It's only worth it if the device has a touchscreen

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
That'd be a waste of time, considering MS is about to ditch their metrosexual UI themselves.

The "Blue" update MS is scrambling to release, is apparently an attempt to un-vista the Win8 disaster, removing the hated interface.

Instead it'll be filled with swearing and nudity.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I use it. Best Windows OS I have ever used. People just need to get over the change and actually learn how it works. It is then, you realise it is probably one of the best OSs around.

That doesn't mean it doesn't need improvements though. Some things are questionable but they should be cleaned up in Windows 8.1.

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
True. And why build on something that may not have a future? Most people I know who use Windows 8 say they hate it. Some have managed to hack it and restore the Start button to make it more useful.

Same here. The only people I know that "love it" are also the same people who are Apple haters. I think they force themselves to love it just to not recognize that OSX might be better. HAHAHA

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
do pc's still come with itunes?

i remember when i bought my first brand new computer, it was an hp pavilion media center pc 2005, it had itunes on it lol

Really? First, now I feel old and second, I didn't know iTunes came pre-installed. I had only ever built my desktop PCs and laptops I've had never had it. They had Windows Media Player.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
There was an article that Windows 8 gives the continuous "sold vs. shipped" debate a whole new meaning: There are estimates that of 100 million of Windows 8 copies _sold_ (and paid for) only about a third are actually shipped. That would be PC makers having to pay Microsoft for Windows 8 but then shipping the computer with Windows 7 because that is what the customer wants.

I can't believe this, but that is 100% true. Any enterprise machines that are sold are Windows 7, but they consider that a Windows 8 sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.