Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old May 10, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Expands Two-Step Verification to Additional Countries

Apple has expanded its two-step verification system to a number of new countries, including Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, and Russia, among others, notes 9to5Mac.

Two-step verification is designed to provide Apple users with an extra layer of protection through the use of a trusted device and a security code. When Apple first introduced the feature in March, it was limited to users in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.

Apple has yet to make an official announcement or update its documentation, but it appears that quite a few countries are gaining access to two-step verification today.

Article Link: Apple Expands Two-Step Verification to Additional Countries
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:32 AM   #2
Supacon
macrumors newbie

Cool. I just requested this. It's interesting that there's a 3-day waiting period.
It seems that Apple is really "doubling down" on security, which is great to see.
Supacon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:41 AM   #3
bkonings
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacon View Post
Cool. I just requested this. It's interesting that there's a 3-day waiting period.
It seems that Apple is really "doubling down" on security, which is great to see.
What 3-day's i enabled it just fine.
bkonings is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:44 AM   #4
thelink
macrumors regular

This seems like a good idea... until you forget where your old device is. Ha!
thelink is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:48 AM   #5
mag01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkonings View Post
What 3-day's i enabled it just fine.
It depends on what's been recently done with your Apple ID: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570#waiting_period
As I had to reset my security questions recently (forgot them completely when preparing for this two-step verification in advance) I now have to wait for 3 days too.
mag01 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:48 AM   #6
Frado
macrumors member

Quote:
I confirm, also have to wait 3 days. I did have to change my password to a better one, maybe in that case you have to wait 3 days.
Frado is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 11:54 AM   #7
gotluck
macrumors 68020

everyone should do this, dont forget to print out and hide the master key.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:59 AM   #8
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag01 View Post
It depends on what's been recently done with your Apple ID: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570#waiting_period
As I had to reset my security questions recently (forgot them completely when preparing for this two-step verification in advance) I now have to wait for 3 days too.
How do you reset those questions, I didn't forget them but first I got a question I never entered an answer to, then later on I get two fields but they don't seem to work, also, got three questions when registering yet 2 are asked for.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:19 PM   #9
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

Ah. I'm trying to enable it but it keeps telling me to change my current password. WHY? I've been using that same password for 4 years and now you seem to have a problem with it. Damn you Apple!

Sucks for me
thedeejay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:39 PM   #10
onicon
macrumors regular

Enabled for Germany as well.
Old May 10, 2013, 12:52 PM   #11
jclo
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
Ah. I'm trying to enable it but it keeps telling me to change my current password. WHY? I've been using that same password for 4 years and now you seem to have a problem with it. Damn you Apple!

Sucks for me
You have to use one of their acceptable passwords to enable it, I had to do the same thing. There's a three day waiting period after you do change the password too.
jclo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:53 PM   #12
javco
macrumors newbie

Not working in Mexico yet
javco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 12:53 PM   #13
mag01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
How do you reset those questions, I didn't forget them but first I got a question I never entered an answer to, then later on I get two fields but they don't seem to work, also, got three questions when registering yet 2 are asked for.
If you've got a rescue email address setup it should be possible via that rescue email:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5665
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5312
otherwise you need to call their support and provide two of three valid verification information (the confirmation code from the Apple ID website, serial ID of any Apple device that you recently used at iTunes/Mac App Store with your Apple ID (which was my case), selected part of credit card information associated with your Apple ID)
mag01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 01:14 PM   #14
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Awesome, I've enabled it in Canada!

Now, please do something so that whoever gets my password can't remotely wipe my MacBook, iPhone, etc.
shurcooL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:58 PM   #15
einsteinbqat
macrumors newbie

In Canada. Don't have the two-step verification option, yet.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:27 PM   #16
coocooforcocoap
macrumors regular

Why don't they tell me what countries are supported?

I am waiting now for 2 days... but don't know if Nepal is supported. If not, why not? Google supports us here, and there is no cooling off period. wtf.
Old May 10, 2013, 11:34 PM   #17
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag01 View Post
If you've got a rescue email address setup it should be possible via that rescue email:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5665
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5312
otherwise you need to call their support and provide two of three valid verification information (the confirmation code from the Apple ID website, serial ID of any Apple device that you recently used at iTunes/Mac App Store with your Apple ID (which was my case), selected part of credit card information associated with your Apple ID)
Cheers, I'll try to reset later on.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 06:59 AM   #18
mag01
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coocooforcocoap View Post
I am waiting now for 2 days... but don't know if Nepal is supported. If not, why not? Google supports us here, and there is no cooling off period. wtf.
You can easily find out if your country is supported on the Apple ID password and security page. If there's an option to activate this 2-step verification they you've got it. In some cases you won't get it activated immediately but will have to wait 3 days, but you should still be able to initiate the activation process at least.
If you see nothing about 2-step verification then unfortunately Nepal isn't included in this wave and you'll have to wait longer.
Why? Maybe because these companies focus on USA in 1st place so USA gets everything 1st, then some other big countries follow, then the rest (usually in some smaller waves).

Greetings to Nepal, beautiful nature over there .
mag01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Hinza
macrumors newbie

I live in belgium and can't see it
Old May 11, 2013, 08:49 AM   #20
dove
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinza View Post
I live in belgium and can't see it
I'm also in Belgium and I can't see it either.
dove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 09:44 AM   #21
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Did you have to change your password. Seems anyone with a non rules password (no number, no caps etc) is being asked to change it. And that is triggering the 3 day wait. So the 'your password was changed' email goes out and could be received and someone call and say it wasn't them. And so on
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:08 AM   #22
dokujaryu
macrumors 6502

Where's the Apple copied Blizzard people? These all look like constructive comments! Well, except mine. Two factor auth is pretty cool. I wonder if they go fingerprint scanner if that will also trigger a two factor auth.
dokujaryu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:28 PM   #23
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by onicon View Post
Enabled for Germany as well.
Not for me

Just logged in but no difference at all....
Old May 11, 2013, 01:36 PM   #24
Oletros
macrumors 601

If you don't have an iOS device you have to use Find my phone in Spain because it doesn't accept Spanish mobile numbers. Why Apple don't use the same two step generator like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Dropbox, Lastpass or Yahoo?
Old May 11, 2013, 05:49 PM   #25
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Awesome, I've enabled it in Canada!

Now, please do something so that whoever gets my password can't remotely wipe my MacBook, iPhone, etc.
I made certain I complied when it was first announced for the US, EK, etc. Now, I do not see the option at all for my Canadian account.

Did you see it directly under security or you had to go through some steps before hand?

Thanks!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion