Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has expanded its two-step verification system to a number of new countries, including Argentina, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, and Russia, among others, notes 9to5Mac.

twostepverification.jpg
Two-step verification is designed to provide Apple users with an extra layer of protection through the use of a trusted device and a security code. When Apple first introduced the feature in March, it was limited to users in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Ireland, and New Zealand.

Apple has yet to make an official announcement or update its documentation, but it appears that quite a few countries are gaining access to two-step verification today.

Article Link: Apple Expands Two-Step Verification to Additional Countries

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
Cool. I just requested this. It's interesting that there's a 3-day waiting period.
It seems that Apple is really "doubling down" on security, which is great to see.

thelink

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
This seems like a good idea... until you forget where your old device is. Ha!

Frado

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2009
Cool. I just requested this. It's interesting that there's a 3-day waiting period.
It seems that Apple is really "doubling down" on security, which is great to see.

I confirm, also have to wait 3 days. I did have to change my password to a better one, maybe in that case you have to wait 3 days.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
It depends on what's been recently done with your Apple ID: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5570#waiting_period
As I had to reset my security questions recently (forgot them completely when preparing for this two-step verification in advance) I now have to wait for 3 days too.

How do you reset those questions, I didn't forget them but first I got a question I never entered an answer to, then later on I get two fields but they don't seem to work, also, got three questions when registering yet 2 are asked for.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Ah. I'm trying to enable it but it keeps telling me to change my current password. WHY? I've been using that same password for 4 years and now you seem to have a problem with it. Damn you Apple!

Sucks for me :(

jclo

Managing Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
Ah. I'm trying to enable it but it keeps telling me to change my current password. WHY? I've been using that same password for 4 years and now you seem to have a problem with it. Damn you Apple!

Sucks for me :(

You have to use one of their acceptable passwords to enable it, I had to do the same thing. There's a three day waiting period after you do change the password too.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
How do you reset those questions, I didn't forget them but first I got a question I never entered an answer to, then later on I get two fields but they don't seem to work, also, got three questions when registering yet 2 are asked for.
If you've got a rescue email address setup it should be possible via that rescue email:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5665
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5312
otherwise you need to call their support and provide two of three valid verification information (the confirmation code from the Apple ID website, serial ID of any Apple device that you recently used at iTunes/Mac App Store with your Apple ID (which was my case), selected part of credit card information associated with your Apple ID)

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Awesome, I've enabled it in Canada!

Now, please do something so that whoever gets my password can't remotely wipe my MacBook, iPhone, etc.

coocooforcocoap

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
kathmandu, nepal
Why don't they tell me what countries are supported?

I am waiting now for 2 days... but don't know if Nepal is supported. If not, why not? Google supports us here, and there is no cooling off period. wtf.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
If you've got a rescue email address setup it should be possible via that rescue email:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5665
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5312
otherwise you need to call their support and provide two of three valid verification information (the confirmation code from the Apple ID website, serial ID of any Apple device that you recently used at iTunes/Mac App Store with your Apple ID (which was my case), selected part of credit card information associated with your Apple ID)

Cheers, I'll try to reset later on.

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
I am waiting now for 2 days... but don't know if Nepal is supported. If not, why not? Google supports us here, and there is no cooling off period. wtf.
You can easily find out if your country is supported on the Apple ID password and security page. If there's an option to activate this 2-step verification they you've got it. In some cases you won't get it activated immediately but will have to wait 3 days, but you should still be able to initiate the activation process at least.
If you see nothing about 2-step verification then unfortunately Nepal isn't included in this wave and you'll have to wait longer.
Why? Maybe because these companies focus on USA in 1st place so USA gets everything 1st, then some other big countries follow, then the rest (usually in some smaller waves).

Greetings to Nepal, beautiful nature over there .

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA

Did you have to change your password. Seems anyone with a non rules password (no number, no caps etc) is being asked to change it. And that is triggering the 3 day wait. So the 'your password was changed' email goes out and could be received and someone call and say it wasn't them. And so on

dokujaryu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Irvine, California
Where's the Apple copied Blizzard people? These all look like constructive comments! Well, except mine. Two factor auth is pretty cool. I wonder if they go fingerprint scanner if that will also trigger a two factor auth.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
If you don't have an iOS device you have to use Find my phone in Spain because it doesn't accept Spanish mobile numbers. Why Apple don't use the same two step generator like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Dropbox, Lastpass or Yahoo?

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
Awesome, I've enabled it in Canada!

Now, please do something so that whoever gets my password can't remotely wipe my MacBook, iPhone, etc.

I made certain I complied when it was first announced for the US, EK, etc. Now, I do not see the option at all for my Canadian account.

Did you see it directly under security or you had to go through some steps before hand?

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.