Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
So my new MacBook Pro works great. However, I have one problem. It will not reboot with the USB Hub plugged in. I have to unplug it and plug it back in after rebooting to get it to boot up.

Is there anyway to figure out what device is causing it to do this?

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
It may not be the USB Hub it's self but rather what's plugged into the hub.

What's in the hub?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
It may not be the USB Hub it's self but rather what's plugged into the hub.

What's in the hub?

I didn't think it was the hub itself, thats is why I asked if there was a way to figure out which device it could be.

I have a USB 3 drive for Time Machine, a BluRay Burner, Capture Box, iPhone Charger, a FitBit Syncer, Fitbit Charger

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
My mistake.

Can't see it being the last 3.

Are there any discs in the burner it's trying to boot from?

What I would do is do a test. Only unplug one at a time and try it. If it boots, plug that one back in, unplug a different one, repeat.

Start with the TM machine and then the burner, then the capture box, it's likely not the chargers.

Have you tried holding option and selecting the boot drive with everything plugged in? Does it work then? Can it just not boot by its self?

Last edited:

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
My mistake :)

Can't see it being the last 3.

Is there any discs in the burner it's trying to boot from?

What I would do is do a test. Only unplug one at a time and try it. If it boots, plug that one back in, unplug a different one, repeat.

Start with the TM machine and then the burner, then the capture box, it's likely not the chargers.

Have you tried holding option and selecting the boot drive with everything plugged in? Does it work then? Can it just not boot by its self?
Nothing in the drive at the moment, wish it could be that easy, lol

I have not tried holding down option and selecting the boot drive. I will try it right now, but what will that do? LOL

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Nothing in the drive at the moment, wish it could be that easy, lol

I have not tried holding down option and selecting the boot drive. I will try it right now, but what will that do? LOL

What it will do is take you to the boot drive options. You should see your boot drive name and also a Recovery 10.8.3 disk. (assuming you have ML)

From there, click the name of your internal hard drive, whatever it is. Usually it will be the far left one. Click the arrow underneath it. See if it boots.

Hold option right when you hear the bing sound by the way. When rebooting you hear that sound right?

thomamon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2008
Flemington, NJ
What it will do is take you to the boot drive options. You should see your boot drive name and also a Recovery 10.8.3 disk. (assuming you have ML)

From there, click the name of your internal hard drive, whatever it is. Usually it will be the far left one. Click the arrow underneath it. See if it boots.

Hold option right when you hear the bing sound by the way. When rebooting you hear that sound right?
Well, I must have missed the point to hold option. Either way, it worked out because I unplugged the first one, the capture box and it booted right up. I plugged it back in and rebooted again and no bueno, so I unplugged and rebooted and it went right in.

Now is there anything I can do about it, lol

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Well, I must have missed the point to hold option. Either way, it worked out because I unplugged the first one, the capture box and it booted right up. I plugged it back in and rebooted again and no bueno, so I unplugged and rebooted and it went right in.

Now is there anything I can do about it, lol

What is the model of the capture box? Is it used to capture video from a Xbox or something?

The point of holding option was to see if you were able to force it to boot from the main drive or to see if on the other hand it still wasn't able to. Doesn't matter now ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.