Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
rockitdog
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Tips for Extending iPhone Battery Life

Just curious if anyone has any tips they can share with everyone for helping to extend their daily iPhone battery life. I've lost 30% battery in about 2 hours with low-moderate (HSPA+/ non-LTE) useage. Help tips would be greatly appreciate- thanks!
__________________
Talk nerdy to me!
|13" late 2012 MBP | Black Ipad 2
Space Gray iPhone 6
rockitdog is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Beenblacklisted
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
buy another smart phone, razr maxx gives 2 days full use, bb q10 gets nearly 30+ hrs,
Beenblacklisted is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Ann P
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenblacklisted View Post
buy another smart phone, razr maxx gives 2 days full use, bb q10 gets nearly 30+ hrs,
And this answers the question how? Smh.

On topic, going into Privacy > Location Services > System services and then turning off all options except for Cellular has helped me heaps.

Put your Mail accounts on manual and fetch if possible. Also found that turning Find My iPhone helps, if you don't use that service. Be sure to calibrate your battery at least once a month; run it down to 1-5% and all the way back to 100.

Looking forward to other tips!
Ann P is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 03:27 PM   #4
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
And this answers the question how? Smh.

On topic, going into Privacy > Location Services > System services and then turning off all options except for Cellular has helped me heaps.

Put your Mail accounts on manual and fetch if possible. Also found that turning Find My iPhone helps, if you don't use that service. Be sure to calibrate your battery at least once a month; run it down to 1-5% and all the way back to 100.

Looking forward to other tips!
Have you had any issues with turning all of these off? I only had 2-3 turned off to help...
__________________
Mid 2012 MacBook Air 13.3", 1.8GHz, 256GB | iPhone 5S 64GB | iPhone 5 64GB | iPhone 4S 64GB | Apple TV | Airport Extreme
aDRock1154 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Pinkstiletto66
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York City.
If Find my Iphone is off, wouldn't it now work if lets say you lose it? I turned off almost everything and it helps. I turn off data when not using it and it last long. Looking for a widget that makes doing that easier.
Pinkstiletto66 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 05:05 PM   #6
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Turn off everything in location services that you don't think needs to know your location.

Set email to fetch at the longest duration you feel is ok for your work/lifestyle.

Turn off all notifications you don't want.

Turn off all widgets (weather, stocks).

Set brightness to manual and the lowest you are comfortable with.

Turn things off you don't use like Bluetooth and wifi.

Siri > raise to speak off

Location services > system services > all off except cell network search (never had that effect my battery).

Most of all light usage. Keep the phone charged with a car charger so you don't have to worry about it as much.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 06:21 PM   #7
Shockwave78
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Learn how auto brigthness works..

You have to initially tailor it to each lighting level

When your outside in sunlight - set it
When your outside and cloudy - set it
When your in your house with lights on - set it
when your in a dark room - set it

This is how auto brightness works now, made a huge difference in battery life for me once i started doing this.
Shockwave78 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 06:32 PM   #8
3rd Rock
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Over here
Some tips to save Battery

Turn off LTE. Battery drainer.

Check your cell signal.

If you're in an area of weak signal, or at the edge of LTE or 3G support, your iPhone's radio could be screaming away on full power just trying to stay on the network, or switching between connection types, and wasting a lot of power. If you have bad reception, consider a micro-cell at home or at work. If you're at the edge of LTE, turn it off in Settings and stick with 3G until you get to a place with better coverage.


SIRI’s

Turn off Siri's Raise to Speak. Go to Settings, General, Siri. Readers keep telling us this has helped them with battery life due to accelerometer issues.


Kill power hungry apps.

Double-click the Home Button to activate the multitasking dock, hold your finger on an app to enter "jiggly" mode, and kill any apps that might be running in the background, especially VoIP (like Skype), streaming audio (like Pandora), or navigation (like TomTom).

Lower Screen Brightness

Use WiFi at home. However, turn off WiFi/4G LTE when out > Settings >
WiFi network > and toggle ON or OFF. WiFi on, but turn off "Ask to
join networks" part so it just connects when home.

Turn off anything in "Settings" that you don't use or need. Turn back on if needed

Do a Google search for any information to save battery on a iPhone 5
3rd Rock is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Ann P
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
Have you had any issues with turning all of these off? I only had 2-3 turned off to help...
None thus far and I've set it months ago. I don't particularly care for the compass, traffic, genius, etc.
Ann P is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Sounds like a lot of work. Get a battery pack for furgitaboutit.
__________________
Solution: FREE, Explanation: Is gonna cost ya.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:10 PM   #11
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann P View Post
None thus far and I've set it months ago. I don't particularly care for the compass, traffic, genius, etc.
Yeah I have them all set off. Should get better battery..
aDRock1154 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:21 PM   #12
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockwave78 View Post
Learn how auto brigthness works..

You have to initially tailor it to each lighting level

When your outside in sunlight - set it
When your outside and cloudy - set it
When your in your house with lights on - set it
when your in a dark room - set it

This is how auto brightness works now, made a huge difference in battery life for me once i started doing this.
Can anyone confirm if this is true? If it is, I just learnt something new today.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 09:29 PM   #13
Looon
macrumors 6502a
 
Looon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
I know this doesn't answer the question but its related: I've had 3 separate iphone 5's and had no issues with my battery even in low service areas
I actually switched back to it from a s3 because of the better battery and I really don't think that I'm so lucky that I somehow managed to get the only 3 iphone 5 units with great batteries so whats the deal?
__________________
iPhone 5S 64GB Verizon
Looon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2013, 10:55 PM   #14
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000
 
JRoDDz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
Have you had any issues with turning all of these off? I only had 2-3 turned off to help...

I have had these all turned OFF since iOS 6 came out. Have had no problems whatsoever. Turning anything on here just puts additional drain on your battery and helps Apple's crowd sourced traffic and cell network databases.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 05:21 AM   #15
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRoDDz View Post
I have had these all turned OFF since iOS 6 came out. Have had no problems whatsoever. Turning anything on here just puts additional drain on your battery and helps Apple's crowd sourced traffic and cell network databases.
Makes me feel even better. I've had Setting Time Zone, Diagnostics and Usage, Location based iAds, and Genius turned off for a while.

I'll have to disable the rest on my wife's phone too. I'll do anything to get better usage.
aDRock1154 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 05:34 AM   #16
iNotion
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Singapore
If you turn off most of the iPhone5 features, what's the point of getting one in the 1st place?

I believed the latest firmware iOS 6.1.4 has something to do with my battery draining for no reason...
__________________
I Love
twitter tumblr
iNotion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:01 AM   #17
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNotion View Post
If you turn off most of the iPhone5 features, what's the point of getting one in the 1st place?

I believed the latest firmware iOS 6.1.4 has something to do with my battery draining for no reason...
Turning off some System Services is hardly most features. Everything else is on for me, although I feel like 6.1.4 made my battery worse also.
aDRock1154 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:10 AM   #18
Abazigal
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
I basically just leave everything on; else what's the point of owning a smartphone?

If you are experiencing excessive drain, the problem could be some rogue app like Google Now or push notifications being enabled on multiple mail apps (do a hard reset or delete the app) or poor 3G (in which case turn it off or switch telcos).

I am not sure if calibrating your battery helps (drain to 0%, then charge back to 100%), but you could try that. Or at worse, get a morphie battery case?

Can't think of anything else that might impact battery life so excessively.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Davejprince
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Turn off Push, 3G, Wifi, Screen Brightness, Location Services etc and you'll last longer. Altough you won't benefit the phone's features.
__________________
Black iPhone 4s, iPad 2, Asus K55V Notebook, customized Windows desktop;
Davejprince is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 08:43 AM   #20
cynics
macrumors 604
 
cynics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Turning LTE off will have little to no effect in an iPhone 5. That is just disabling its use not its hardware. However if you are constantly switching between 3G and LTE or barely hanging onto a very week LTE signal then disabling it can help.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abazigal View Post
I basically just leave everything on; else what's the point of owning a smartphone?

If you are experiencing excessive drain, the problem could be some rogue app like Google Now or push notifications being enabled on multiple mail apps (do a hard reset or delete the app) or poor 3G (in which case turn it off or switch telcos).

I am not sure if calibrating your battery helps (drain to 0%, then charge back to 100%), but you could try that. Or at worse, get a morphie battery case?

Can't think of anything else that might impact battery life so excessively.
Shouldnt really be any rogue apps that iOS won't suspend. If so its something you are purposely running or iOS is messed up and unable to suspend a task.

------------

Also I found closing apps from multitasking doesn't make a difference. I haven't closed any in about 2 weeks and there are 30 apps in there and my battery almost seems better then its been. That might be in my head but its certainly not worse.
__________________
27" iMac (late 2013), iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV (3rd Gen), Airport Extreme (6th Gen), assorted Android and Windows devices
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:33 AM   #21
JRoDDz
macrumors 68000
 
JRoDDz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNotion View Post
If you turn off most of the iPhone5 features, what's the point of getting one in the 1st place?

I believed the latest firmware iOS 6.1.4 has something to do with my battery draining for no reason...
Features? How is sending Apple traffic information a feature for you? Or sending them locations of cell sites? These are "features" I can do without and get better battery life.
JRoDDz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 11:59 AM   #22
adam044
macrumors 65816
 
adam044's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Quote:
Originally Posted by aDRock1154 View Post
Have you had any issues with turning all of these off? I only had 2-3 turned off to help...
I turn them all off. Calls search network does nothing also
__________________
13" Late 2011 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz > iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey AT&T > iPad 4 > Apple TV 3
adam044 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2013, 12:24 PM   #23
aDRock1154
macrumors 65816
 
aDRock1154's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam044 View Post
I turn them all off. Calls search network does nothing also
I'll have to try that also.. Thanks.
aDRock1154 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Extending/depreciating battery life magilla iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 4 Mar 15, 2014 08:41 AM
best tips for battery life iPhone 4s ? anonymous4a iOS 7 5 Jan 9, 2014 11:37 AM
Any tips for maximizing battery life? Tlamaki MacBook Air 14 Oct 24, 2013 10:24 PM
Tips for improving IPhone 5S Battery Life bushman4 iPhone 1 Sep 29, 2013 12:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC